Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #1

5er pull out check list

This list seems to go on forever but it really doesn't take too long to do. I wrote it for my fifth wheel but it could be easily modified for any trailer.

If you think I missed anything let me know and I will add it if necessary. Feel free to copy and use it if you wish.

CHECK LIST FOR 5TH WHEEL

put away things in trailer, coffee pot, ect...
put food & drinks away
make list of needed items so I can stop on way out
bedroom tv stored, alarm clock in drawer

check tire pressure and wheel lugs
close awning
make sure TV antenna is lowered
toulet seat down
ac or furnace off at thermostat
pull in slide
put in slide locks
chock wheels

raise stabilizers
drop tailgate
level kingpin and hitch
back up and lock pin in hitch
hook up emergency electric brake cable
raise trailer levelers
hook up trailer plug

check trailer lights
do pull test, make sure pin and hitch are locked

raise tailgate
remove wheel chocks
be sure refrigerator switched to gas and working properly
check propane levels
check black & gray tank levels, empty if necessary
put sewer hoses away

make sure valves are closed, caps are on
add 5 to 10 gallons fresh water if needed
disconnect water line, secure
disconnect electric line, secure

shut inverter off
if needed make sure generator is secure
raise steps
all compartments closed and locked
traiiler door locked
leash and water in truck for dog
finial walk around
check oil and fuel in truck

adjust brake controller on way out
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:28 AM   #2
Always Learning

Looks good. I'm curious about the "chock wheels" item- don't you chock the wheels before you unhitch/when setting up camp?
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #3

I for got my check list and my TV antenna had to be replaced. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

We use a check list also but they are broken down for inside and outside items.
Now for those us who have a residential refrigerator we have to turn on the inverter to power the refrigerator when not hooked up to shore power. Lock doors in place bathroom/bedroom and shower door. Secure chairs if required.
Put kitchen sink covers on sink. Install tension rods in refrigerator and secure doors.

Another item is to turn on the exhaust brake if equipped on your truck and engage tow/haul.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Looks good. I'm curious about the "chock wheels" item- don't you chock the wheels before you unhitch/when setting up camp?
Yes you do or at least should. The reason I added it to this list is because when at home my trailer sits on level ground so I often remove them when checking tire pressure, greasing the bearings or checking the brakes.

I chock the wheels when getting ready to hook up the hitch. I don't want the trailer rolling away when I am trying to lock the king pin in place. Thanks for asking, I forgot to remove the wheel chocks.

Jim
Old 11-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
I for got my check list and my TV antenna had to be replaced. LOL
Ouch! That had to hurt! A 2 to $300.00 mistake?

Jim
Old 11-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
We use a check list also but they are broken down for inside and outside items.
Now for those us who have a residential refrigerator we have to turn on the inverter to power the refrigerator when not hooked up to shore power. Lock doors in place bathroom/bedroom and shower door. Secure chairs if required.
Put kitchen sink covers on sink. Install tension rods in refrigerator and secure doors.

Another item is to turn on the exhaust brake if equipped on your truck and engage tow/haul.
Good items for some to add. I do the sink cover when I put things in the kitchen away. I don't have a table in this unit but wish I did. I may chang that. My doors are always closed.

I did add disable overdrive. Don't need to go to tow/haul for a while, have a lot of flat land before I hit any decent size hills or mountains.

Jim
Old 11-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #8

I changed the reference for the generator to read "install or remove generator, depending on trip". and moved it to near the top of the list. I removed the reference ear the bottom of list sense it would be done earlier. Also added "check gas and oil I generaor, put extra gas in truck bed".

This is my preference ad may not be yours. You may not have a generator.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #9

secure shower door
secure dinette chairs (if you have)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #10

Thanks so much

This is a great list - I just took possession of my first rv of any sort and have been jotting down notes to try to form a checklist. Drove home last week from the dealer annoyed that I could not see my friend's car following us. Halfway home (just under 100 miles) my co-pilot asked if my mirrors don't extend. I will add that to this great list. Thanks again!
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Tow mirrors

Retract towing mirrors......
After a trip, the next morning on my way to work, I passed someone who was turning left.....she had her mirrors out....she began her turn from the left turn lane by drifting right as I passed. Just enough that we met....by a 1/4"....... Now I have 14 years bad luck as both our mirrors broke.

Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #12

Secure stove vent, they tend to blow away if not secured.
Open roof vents if covered w/ Maxi air or the like. In summer months holds down heat build up.
We close blinds and shades when traveling, feel it adds security if you stop and leave it unattended to eat or at rest area.
We also secure recliner.
Make sure area is picked up prior retracting slides, our pup likes to hide things behind the lip of the slide. Very healpful when putting out slides!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #13

Pretty much covers what we do, but we each do a separate walk around at different times just to make sure we did not miss something. One time I locked the door but forgot to set the step handle back against the trailer. She caught it on her walk around.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja View Post
This is a great list - I just took possession of my first rv of any sort and have been jotting down notes to try to form a checklist. Drove home last week from the dealer annoyed that I could not see my friend's car following us. Halfway home (just under 100 miles) my co-pilot asked if my mirrors don't extend. I will add that to this great list. Thanks again!
Your welcome! All you need to do is cut and paste the list, then you can modify it any way you want. I made the list for my 5er but it is pretty much generic, many things apply to most trailers.

Some trucks do extend but not all. Mine don't so for around 30 bucks I bought a mirror that attaches to my existing one, It sticks out about a foot past the original. I have found it handy so I leave it on.

It is nice to see who or what is behind you and can come in very handy when backing up.

Jim
Old 11-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Secure stove vent, they tend to blow away if not secured.
Open roof vents if covered w/ Maxi air or the like. In summer months holds down heat build up.
We close blinds and shades when traveling, feel it adds security if you stop and leave it unattended to eat or at rest area.
We also secure recliner.
Make sure area is picked up prior retracting slides, our pup likes to hide things behind the lip of the slide. Very healpful when putting out slides!
Thank you, I did miss the stove vent. It is now added to my list.

As for the blinds and such, I take care of that when I put things away inside. There is never anything left out for someone to see The one exception is the living room tv. It is a real pain to take down and put back so just leave it in place.

Jim
Old 11-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasqms View Post
Pretty much covers what we do, but we each do a separate walk around at different times just to make sure we did not miss something. One time I locked the door but forgot to set the step handle back against the trailer. She caught it on her walk around.
My dog does a couple of separate run arounds but she never tells me much.

Jim

Tags
5er