Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #21

TT

I pull a 34' Rockwood Windjammer 3001w with an F250 Powerstroke and honestly dont even know its back there. I'm not a fan of the high profile 5th wheels, they cost more, weigh more, less economical to pull. I would not trade my setup for anything. Smooth pulling experience. Now I did have this trailer with an F150 before I upgraded to the 250 and definitely knew it was back there.
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3001w Diamond
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Thank you for all the help. I want a 5er...I am already set up for one. Will have to start over on TT. Wife is leaning towards a TT...she will agree to what I want. With the help here I feel better about the TT. Prolly the most deciding factor is finding what we want with floor plan and must haves in the budget we have and at least I am not as scared of them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
There is no need to be "scared" of any type of trailer, when properly hitched they will follow you around like a little puppy....
Old 04-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #23

Wife wanted a 5th wheel and I did not simply for being able to get in most any site in our state parks. The 5th wheel sites are in open sunny areas away from the lake toward the entry of the park. With the travel trailer it will fit into about any site. If we were retired over the road we'd be in a motor home or 5th wheel. We love the TT. Height is an issue in the state parks near us. Low limbs everywhere.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #24
Gold Miner At Heart

5er will tow so much easier then a TT. More stable when passing or being passed by big rigs. Only down fall is you loose bed space in the truck. I have owned both and after I finally went to a 5er I would never go back. Just my opinion.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Thank you for all the help. I want a 5er...I am already set up for one. Will have to start over on TT. Wife is leaning towards a TT...she will agree to what I want. With the help here I feel better about the TT. Prolly the most deciding factor is finding what we want with floor plan and must haves in the budget we have and at least I am not as scared of them now.

I have owned TTs, Class C, Class A, and 5ers. I'm 6'0" and have no problem with BR ceiling height in a mid-profile 5er. Class A was another engine to maintain and forget a gasser Class A. Class C same with the extra engine and not enough room for the 2 of us and 2 small dogs. Much more room in a 5er than a TT of the same size. More storage and my TV is the daily driver. No need for the hitch in the bed unless towing and no need for that space with the amount in the 5er. Much, MUCH easier to hitch and much more stable to tow. A 5er is more expensive than a TT but the pros certain IMO outweigh the cons. At nearly 68 last December we decided on another new fiver over all else.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #26

As you can see from my signature, we have a 5th wheel on order, BUT we have towed our Windjammer nearly 15,000 miles in 3 years and love the way that it tows. Very aerodynamic, pretty good fuel mileage, and we've gotten it into and out of some very tight spots...both on purpose and otherwise.

If you are considering a tt, do yourself a favor and look at the Windjammer. My wife loves the front kitchen in ours, but we (OK, I) have gotten two-foot-itis.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #27
fx2

My TT is 35.5 feet bumper to hitch. I've towed it with 2 different F150s and a Ram 2500 in between. The Ram was an ideal set up and towed extremely well, even with the 5.7l Hemi. I wouldn't hesitate if you find the right TT.
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #28

I miss having the bed space with FW for hauling bicycles, motorcycle or scooter, aside from these large items I can manage with the available space limitation. My FW is an Ultra Lite so adding a bike rack or box to the bumper is a bad decision.

I think the FW pulls smoother over bumps when goving over an overpass on the highway.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #29

Quote:
A storm tore up our 5th wheel Puma Palamino 295KBH. Today we go fantasy shopping to see what's out there...my wife really liked the TT she was looking at. I am really nervous about a TT over a fifth wheel in pulling. I have an 05 ram 2500 diesel 4x4 and am not really worried about the weight of the TT vs a medium 5er, but I am worried about the horror stories of pulling about a 35ft TT.

Should I be? I have obviously never pulled a TT.

I have done both - pulled a 33' TT & a 33' 5er. Now this is just my opinion, but I would never pull a TT again after pulling a 5er! Stability, sway, vortex effect, and the inconvenience of that darn Ball and anti-sway bars that you must install (or the sway s really scary!) Crosswinds, sharp curves, and the fact that you are pulling everything (instead of having a large amount of the weight over your rear axel) makes a TT a non-starter for me.

Like I said JMO - other will disagree with me I am sure. If you can possibly do so go test pull a TT and see for yourself.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #30

We went from a 31' 5er to a 34' TT just a few months ago. So far no regrets! We like the idea of everything being on one floor. We actually have more living space in the living room area. But, it took us awhile to find the right floor plan.

I am using the Equalizer WDH and no problems with towing/swaying. I do believe the TV and correct WDH is the answer.

Yes, it does take a few minutes longer to hook and unhook

Yes, there is less external storage with a TT, but as mentioned in earlier posts, I now have the TV bed back. It is easier to load and unload from the TV bed than bending under the 5er to get to the basement area, IMHO.

I do believe maintenance wise a TT will be easier...not as tall, I can wash the sides of TT without having to get a ladder out. Being 2 feet shorter it should make easier to get under limbs. On several occasions I had to climb on the roof of the 5er to cut away limbs in some sites.

To me the TT tracks better behind the TV. It seems I do not have to swing out as far when making turns. I also believe it responds faster when backing up...making it easier to me.

But as BamaBob says, it is preference. It was the right choice for us anyway.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSmitty View Post
We went from a 31' 5er to a 34' TT just a few months ago. So far no regrets! We like the idea of everything being on one floor. We actually have more living space in the living room area. But, it took us awhile to find the right floor plan.

I am using the Equalizer WDH and no problems with towing/swaying. I do believe the TV and correct WDH is the answer.

Yes, it does take a few minutes longer to hook and unhook

Yes, there is less external storage with a TT, but as mentioned in earlier posts, I now have the TV bed back. It is easier to load and unload from the TV bed than bending under the 5er to get to the basement area, IMHO.

I do believe maintenance wise a TT will be easier...not as tall, I can wash the sides of TT without having to get a ladder out. Being 2 feet shorter it should make easier to get under limbs. On several occasions I had to climb on the roof of the 5er to cut away limbs in some sites.

To me the TT tracks better behind the TV. It seems I do not have to swing out as far when making turns. I also believe it responds faster when backing up...making it easier to me.

But as BamaBob says, it is preference. It was the right choice for us anyway.

Several good points here. I am more open to the TT idea. It may end up being a budget deal in the end. We know what we want now and we may not be able to pay for it new....used? I dunno.

Thank you all.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #32
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I have now owned both. Yes 5er will tow better as I had a dully and never an issue with trucks passing or wind. The tt I have now handles quite well behind my 3/4 ton and using the 4 point 1400# equal I-Zer WDH hitch. We traded due to having steps to climb to the bed room in 5er. Love the tt has enough room and don't need to have all that storage like a 5er as it just makes ya pack rat. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #33

We boondock 3 times or so a year . I have had a TT and now a fifth wheel. I have no plans to go back to a TT. The fifth wheel pulls better but the main reasons for me besides storage is the much larger holding tanks on the fw. The tanks on my 37' cardinal are almost twice that of most TT. I think either will work it's more about what fits your needs best.
ohioHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:13 PM   #34
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I went from a 21' TT to a 39' 5th wheel. I started out looking for a larger TT but for the money, and either way I needed a larger truck, we went with a 5th wheel and haven't looked back. Easier hook up, easier towing, easier backing up, more storage, taller ceilings. I am not sure I could go back to a TT at this point. I love my 5th wheel.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, trailer, travel, travel trailer