Old 04-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #31
Originally Posted by KRSmitty View Post
We went from a 31' 5er to a 34' TT just a few months ago. So far no regrets! We like the idea of everything being on one floor. We actually have more living space in the living room area. But, it took us awhile to find the right floor plan.

I am using the Equalizer WDH and no problems with towing/swaying. I do believe the TV and correct WDH is the answer.

Yes, it does take a few minutes longer to hook and unhook

Yes, there is less external storage with a TT, but as mentioned in earlier posts, I now have the TV bed back. It is easier to load and unload from the TV bed than bending under the 5er to get to the basement area, IMHO.

I do believe maintenance wise a TT will be easier...not as tall, I can wash the sides of TT without having to get a ladder out. Being 2 feet shorter it should make easier to get under limbs. On several occasions I had to climb on the roof of the 5er to cut away limbs in some sites.

To me the TT tracks better behind the TV. It seems I do not have to swing out as far when making turns. I also believe it responds faster when backing up...making it easier to me.

But as BamaBob says, it is preference. It was the right choice for us anyway.

Several good points here. I am more open to the TT idea. It may end up being a budget deal in the end. We know what we want now and we may not be able to pay for it new....used? I dunno.

Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #32
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
I have now owned both. Yes 5er will tow better as I had a dully and never an issue with trucks passing or wind. The tt I have now handles quite well behind my 3/4 ton and using the 4 point 1400# equal I-Zer WDH hitch. We traded due to having steps to climb to the bed room in 5er. Love the tt has enough room and don't need to have all that storage like a 5er as it just makes ya pack rat. Later RJD

2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #33
We boondock 3 times or so a year . I have had a TT and now a fifth wheel. I have no plans to go back to a TT. The fifth wheel pulls better but the main reasons for me besides storage is the much larger holding tanks on the fw. The tanks on my 37' cardinal are almost twice that of most TT. I think either will work it's more about what fits your needs best.
ohioHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:13 PM   #34
I went from a 21' TT to a 39' 5th wheel. I started out looking for a larger TT but for the money, and either way I needed a larger truck, we went with a 5th wheel and haven't looked back. Easier hook up, easier towing, easier backing up, more storage, taller ceilings. I am not sure I could go back to a TT at this point. I love my 5th wheel.

2016 Vengeance 320A
2015 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L 4x4 ccsb Z71 trim
2012 HD Electra Glide
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch
Nights camped 2015-didn't count
Nights camped far
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote

5er, trailer, travel, travel trailer