Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #41

Tag
Old 09-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #42

A few years ago there was a FRF Member who had a BIG NEW F/R Trailer and a F/R Ice Cabin both in Minnesota, they Prepped and tried to live in those 2 units during the Winter! Complete FAILURE! There is a LONG post on their attempt! The F/R Dealer was in Duluth,MN. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
A few years ago there was a FRF Member who had a BIG NEW F/R Trailer and a F/R Ice Cabin both in Minnesota, they Prepped and tried to live in those 2 units during the Winter! Complete FAILURE! There is a LONG post on their attempt! The F/R Dealer was in Duluth,MN. Youroo!!
Any chance you could supply a link to that thread? Might be interesting reading.

I have no intentions of living in my 5er but want it to be safe if I decide to go out and the temps drop.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Any chance you could supply a link to that thread? Might be interesting reading.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ime-30764.html

Here's one winter nightmare thread. There are some others.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post

Thanks, I read 12 pages and found it interesting. However, I will NOT be going out in -40 degree temps! He said it was -55 one night. I know those temps would cause problems even with my house!

I am looking at using my trailer at 15 to 20 degrees at the coldest nights. Those are not temps I will go out in unless I get caught by surprise. If I know it is going to get that cold I will cancel and stay home.

Jim
Old 09-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
The only thing that keeps the water staying in is the valve itself, so water could freeze the valve being it having constant water from gray or black against it. I would think it is standard on any heated tank option. But you know FR. NEVER the same....
True, guess I will find a way to put heat tapes on them. As we have said "NEVER the same...." Look at these photos. The two valves for black & grey in front are in a foam filled insulated housing, the gallery valve isn't. LOL! Not even on the same trailer!

While taking these photos I noticed there are no shutoff valves on the outside shower. I have to add them so I can disconnect those lines to drain.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5638-1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	88132   Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5644-1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	88133   Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5640-1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	88134  
Old 09-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Noth'n say'n the pump has to stay there.
You are right but would have to redo 2/3 of the existing plumbing. It would be more trouble than its worth. I would still have exposed pipes in the bathroom sink, shower and outside shower.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5641.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	88135  
Old 09-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post

Thank you KMP44 for finding this Post! I now see where Members are saying If I know it will be that cold I will stay Home! I Posted this because FULL Time Members from COLD Areas have stated that their F/R RVs are 4 Season and they Live in them,they DONT have a Choice about staying Home They Are HOME! Youroo!!
Old 09-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Thank you KMP44 for finding this Post! I now see where Members are saying If I know it will be that cold I will stay Home! I Posted this because FULL Time Members from COLD Areas have stated that their F/R RVs are 4 Season and they Live in them,they DONT have a Choice about staying Home They Are HOME! Youroo!!
If you read that thread you saw where he was talking about -50'. Did you read far enough to see he moved into a motel? Some times dreams just are not possible. Seventy degrees colder than what I am thinking about..

Jim
Old 09-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #50

Quote:
If you read that thread you saw where he was talking about -50'. Did you read far enough to see he moved into a motel? Some times dreams just are not possible. Seventy degrees colder than what I am thinking about..

Jim
I followed that Post in REAL time! If you read the Post we are in NOW there are Members saying they Live in Canada and they have a 4 season F/R unit! I was pointing out a TRUE LIFE situation in a Cold Area! Youroo!!
Old 09-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #51
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Oldtool2.....If you opened the handles on the outside shower and blew the lines out, as I do mine, can't freeze. Mov'n the pump was just a thought.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #52

We stayed in our Cardinal last year for a week with two nights around 20. I filled the fresh water tank and disconnected the city water. Turned on the tank pads and used the furnace and electric fireplace. No problems. As for the water pump, mine was heated from radiant heat from the basement. Don't know if I would stay full time in it, but I am confortable staying 4-5 days with freezing temps.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
safrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #53

Quote:
I followed that Post in REAL time! If you read the Post we are in NOW there are Members saying they Live in Canada and they have a 4 season F/R unit! I was pointing out a TRUE LIFE situation in a Cold Area! Youroo!!
I didn't use to mind the cold but it gets to me now that I am getting older. I can't imagine -50'. Especially in a trailer with 2" walls. I am sorry but he had to be crazy to think that trailer was a 4 season unit.

I can see where it gets to around freezing you might get away with living in one but when you head for zero you are going to have all kinds of problems.

Jim
Old 09-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Oldtool2.....If you opened the handles on the outside shower and blew the lines out, as I do mine, can't freeze. Mov'n the pump was just a thought.
I have a line at my pump that I can blow all my lines out from. I was just thinking that if I went somewhere and needed to use the FW tank those lines will need protected. I could put a heat tape on them but why? If it gets below freezing I won't be using that shower. Two shut off valves and I can disconnect them and drain those lines and not have a problem.

I can just see someone going out and using there pump below freezing and not thinking about that shower and end up having a problem.

I know moving the pump was just a thought, and I did think about it for one minute. It didn't take long to say no after I looked at the way they ran the pipes.

Jim

Jim
Old 09-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #55

Quote:
I have a line at my pump that I can blow all my lines out from. I was just thinking that if I went somewhere and needed to use the FW tank those lines will need protected. I could put a heat tape on them but why? If it gets below freezing I won't be using that shower. Two shut off valves and I can disconnect them and drain those lines and not have a problem.

I can just see someone going out and using there pump below freezing and not thinking about that shower and end up having a problem.

I know moving the pump was just a thought, and I did think about it for one minute. It didn't take long to say no after I looked at the way they ran the pipes.

Jim

Jim
I'll camp below 32 old tool. If you do not have heated tanks and even with them, I run a extension cord from the pedestal and connect a 1500 watt heater to it in the basement. I also use that silver insulation to cover my water pump and double it up at the outdoor shower door on the inside. Have never froze yet but the most has only been 3 days with temps below 32. You can also wrap that outside valve with the same stuff. To make sure people do not think I'm crazy, it during travel down to warmer weather. I also just LOL when someone says FR said it's a four season trailer, they are right if all the seasons are in Florida....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, winter