Old 06-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
5th wheel generator install

I have a heritage glen 286RLT and would like to install a generator in the front storage bay. Has anyone done this before?
I also was wondering what everyone thinks about the Boliy brand generators

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

dellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
I hope there's a lot of posts on this as I'm interested. This topic has been posted before.

B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant
Boliy is a decent one but I would choose the electric start Champion 3100 inverter generator.
Much better customer support, whereas the Boliy has poor customer support.
Lots less places for repair.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
There are several large hurdles you will have to overcome if you intend to install a “portable” engine generator in your 5th wheel. Portable generators require adequate fresh air and their exhaust isn’t designed to extend with a tailpipe to a safe location. You will need a way to fuel the generator and doing this inside your 5th wheel is another issue. You need an enclosure sealed from the rest of your RV.

A generator designed for an RV will allow a tailpipe and they have a powerful fan to bring in fresh air and cool themselves. You’ll still need a sealed enclosure open to the outside. They will also need a properly designed and installed fuel source.

There are many toy hauler 5th wheelers that are E/G ready or have one already installed. Check these out and see what installation features you’ll have to duplicate to make your setup safe and useful.

I owned a Lance slide-in pickup camper that had an E/G. I truly miss the convenience of starting the E/G from inside my camper and power my coffee pot, TV, microwave and A/C without having to venture outside in the morning. The E/G was a little loud and used a lot of LP but a great convenience. As much as I liked it, I wouldn’t install an E/G in my Wildcat 5th wheel for safety and practicability reasons. An E/G in the back of my pickup is safer and workable.
2015 Wildcat 282 RKX
2011 F350 Lariat, 6.7 L. Diesel, 8 ft., SRW, Reese R20
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Best to get a unit designed for permanent install. Too many problems and pitfalls trying to use a portable. You could design a way to take out and put away a portable
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
I recommend the cummings permanent install. depending on were you live will decide if you can install a gas or propane. California can no longer install gas generators due to epa guide lines. they both get the same fuel consumption however. I have the cummings 5500 propane and it runs all appliances and both ac units with no trouble. I also had the cummings gas in my last rv that's why I know about fuel consumption.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
We had a Big Sky come in on trade once that had an Onan propane installed in the front compartment. I don't know if it was factory or aftermarket installed.
2015 Shamrock 231KSS, Oyster shell
2016 Chev Silverado LT Z71 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V/8
Reese Straight Line WDH, 2000W Honda Gen.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
When I bought my Heartland Big Country I had them install an 5000 Onan. I also had them hook it up to propane so I did not have to carry extra fuel. I think the Big Country was pre-wired for an onan in the front bay. Worked great.

2014 Mirada 35DL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado Crewcab 4x4
jgallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
Hubby is in the process of installing a gas generator on our new 5er. He didn't want the propane. Easier to find gasoline than propane in the middle of the night. Not many manufacturers put in gas generators. So he's decided to do it himself.
justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
I have a 08 Montana 2955 5th wheel purchased new in 08. Ordered from factory & came with gen prep. Dealer (& Owner of dealership) advised against factory installed unit. He installed a gasoline 5500 Onan-Cummings RV Gold for less money. He said that it would be too much trouble to keep sufficient propane bottles filled for more than a couple of summer days use (2 AC units) and that a built-in gasoline tank was also bad news. Instead, opted for a 6 gal portable boat tank which I carry in the truck bed. Fuel line tubing is routed from the generator house, inside the skin under the bedroom floor and out at the pin box, with about 6 feet of line to the quick connect fitting. This allows me to carry an extra tank if I need it, and to also empty stale fuel if need be (and has happened). My unit will do about 8 hours on a full tank with everything running on a summer day. That seldom happens. When vacationing I carry 2 boat tanks. Also have a remote start switch which allows me to start the generator while traveling down the road, and cool off the RV before we stop. We have been well pleased with this setup. Just some thoughts.

RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, generator, wheel