Old 03-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
I put a 20" longer release cable on my goose box and bunge corded the end to a small eye bolt in the side of the box AFTER the cabe is wrapped thru another amall eyebolt next to it.Swapped the clip ends of the safety chains around so that they clip to the trailer as well as the truck frame.No climbing anywhere.
Could you possibly provide a picture or better description of the safety chain mod?

Old 03-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #12

Check the classifieds on this forum. There are several gooseneck adapters there for sale - I have one there never used and still in original packaging.
I also use a gooseneck on my fiver with no problems. On previous fivers I used a regular hitch and had lots of chucking and movement but no problems. After using the gooseneck for a bit, you get used to it and can back up without seeing it pretty quick. Last time I hit it spot on first try and that was at the dealer with people watching after some warranty work.
Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkayc View Post
Could you possibly provide a picture or better description of the safety chain mod?
Not really. the trailer is 300 miles south of us at the factory for warranty.I guess I made the chains sound more difficult than they are!Right now your chains are bolted to the pinbox and use a saftey snap to connect to the truck,Get 2 more safty snaps,unbolt the chains from the trailer and put the snaps on the (trailer) end. Now you have a saftey chain with a saftey snap on both ends.Leave them attached to the truck and snap them on/off the trailer.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammonilla View Post
I'm looking to upgrade to a 5'er after having a TT for the last 5 years. My question is I already have a goose neck hitch installed on my truck and wondering if anyone has used the gooseneck style adaptors that mount to the pin box of the 5th wheel?? Just looking for some advise and input!
I got tired of lifting the fifth wheel hitch in and out of the bed of my truck (because I use it as a truck occasionally). I did the easy thing and ordered a Ford F-350 with the gooseneck ball system already built in. Somebody here mentioned attaching a cable and that's what I also did. I use a camera in the bed of the truck to make it a bit easier, although I can usually get the gooseneck over the hitch in perhaps four attempts to move back and forth.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #15

We pull both our Horse Trailers and our 5er via Gooseneck. When we built our new truck we went straight to a ball under the bed (our backup/old truck had bed rails). Full bed access, no bed rails, and no hitch to remove is best. Yes I gotta climb in the bed when I hook up, but have an empty bed when I gotta fill it with product.... much better.
'01 Exiss 300MT Weekender
Lori the Best Half - Katie the dog: keeping me in line.
rclogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #16

Ditch any "adapters" and get the real deal goosebox replacement ,air ride goosebox from ippert.It replaces th whole mpin box.its about 1300$ and keepes your frame warranty going.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammonilla View Post
I'm looking to upgrade to a 5'er after having a TT for the last 5 years. My question is I already have a goose neck hitch installed on my truck and wondering if anyone has used the gooseneck style adaptors that mount to the pin box of the 5th wheel?? Just looking for some advise and input!
If your camper is out of warranty go for it but if under warranty could void your warranty. This is the info we were given.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #18

From my research, the only two options that are verified many times over by Lippert to not void the warranty are the Reese Goosebox (The $1300 Air Goosebox referenced above) and the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection.

The Reese Goosebox replaces the whole pinbox and has gotten great reviews from people I've seen that have it. It comes in a 16k and 20k capacity.

The Reviews are about the same for the Andersen. It's a pyramid type hitch that clamps to your Gooseneck ball in the bed. Then you put a block on your pin on the 5'ver that has two holes. One for the pin, one for the raised ball of the Andersen. They make a Steel version weighing 74 pounds and an Aluminum version weighing 32. You can generally find them for around $630/Aluminum and $520/Steel on the net. Both versions are rated at 24k total/4500 pin.

Both systems have a cabled latch system that means you don't have to climb into the bed to secure them.

Not all states require safety chains, but enough do that it's probably a good idea. Both Reese and Andersen sell a safety chain kit for their hitches (separately of course).

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #19

We use the Reese Goosebox. Smooth as silk. Love it! Lippert approved so no frame warranty worries. Also, I can reach the release from the side of the truck so I do not need to climb in the bed of the truck. Even if I did, I would make my kids do it... Lol.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #20

Gooseneck

I have a goosebox from reese installed on my new Silverback 33IK when I purchased it and love it. I would never go to a regular fifth wheel hitch. The gooseneck allows you to hook up at any angle and you don't have that big clunk when you stop and go plus with my B&W ball in the truck I don't loose my bed. All I do is flip it over when not using it.

Tags
wheel