Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #1

5th Wheel Hitches?

I don't know anything about 5th wheel RV and the Hitch.
Does the 5th Hitches stays inside the truck bed permanently?
Is backing up a 5th easier than TT?
Is towing a 5th easier than TT?
What is the pros/cons of 5th vs TT?
Thanks.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
Thanks.
I take my 5th wheel B&W out between trips. There are two rails that stay in the bed at all times but you get to use most of the rest of the cargo area. My hitch comes out in two pieces so it is not too bad to move it. Some are one piece units and can get pretty heavy.

I think it is easier to tow with a 5th wheel when properly setup. Backing for me took a little practice but just use the rv wheels as your adjustment and you will be fine.

I also like the layout of most 5th wheel campers better as some of the length is above the truck bed meaning a 30' TT is actually overall longer with the truck then a 30' FW.

If your best was good enough today........
It won't be tomorrow.
Feldhege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #3

There are a wide variety of 5th wheel hitches out there. You must select one that fits your needs and budget. I have a 5'r hitch by B+W that is partially mounted permanently to the truck frame under the bed and the receiver mounts to that from the top when I need it. It is a heavy unit, but I enjoy being able to remove it and having a fully functional flat bed without any rails or hardware on the bed. Others like a lighter design aluminum setup, and others even like the slider type hitches that allow them to tow a 5'r with a short bed truck. Its all about your wants, needs, comfort and financial capabilities. There is no right or wrong answer as long as you purchase the type of unit that will safely do the job you are asking it to do.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdas88 View Post
There are a wide variety of 5th wheel hitches out there. You must select one that fits your needs and budget. I have a 5'r hitch by B+W that is partially mounted permanently to the truck frame under the bed and the receiver mounts to that from the top when I need it. It is a heavy unit, but I enjoy being able to remove it and having a fully functional flat bed without any rails or hardware on the bed. Others like a lighter design aluminum setup, and others even like the slider type hitches that allow them to tow a 5'r with a short bed truck. Its all about your wants, needs, comfort and financial capabilities. There is no right or wrong answer as long as you purchase the type of unit that will safely do the job you are asking it to do.
I agree. Do your homework and buy a good one. Some of the cheaper ones only have a bar that locks the kingpin in. I have been told they are more susceptible to clunking while towing. My B&W has jaws that completely grab around the kingpin. Even on rough roads no clunking.

Another feature I found useful is the legs are adjustable for height. When I bough a new truck, I had to lower the legs 1 inch to keep my FW level when towing.

If your best was good enough today........
It won't be tomorrow.
Feldhege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks.
You may need to consider a heavier duty pick-up truck to tow a 5er such as a 2500 or 3500 model. If you buy new truck and order the tow package in most American made pick-up trucks, they now offer a puck system where the 5er hitch mounts in the bed. No rails are required.

See attached link:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...stem&FORM=IGRE

If you go with a short bed truck you may need a sliding hitch manual or automatic.

Most 5er hitches can be removed from the bed of the truck but some are heavy such as the Demco Glide 200LB'S+ and the Trailsaver air ride hitch. So, you need to review your needs carefully and decide what is right for you.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks.
You're going to need a bigger truck than your Tundra, unless you get something 25' or smaller.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

Does the 5th Hitches stays inside the truck bed permanently? it can, or it can be removed, though not as easily as a travel trailer hitch.

Is backing up a 5th easier than TT? No. But it's also not harder. Neither are hard once you learn how quickly the trailer reacts to input from the driver.

Is towing a 5th easier than TT? Yes, in my opinion. I just moved from a 34ft TT to a 34ft 5th wheel. What I found easier was that my truck and 5er do not move at all when a semi passes me, and I do not feel the wind like I did in the TT.

5er pros:
Pivot point on truck axles means no sway in the way TT's sway.

Hitching up seems easier to me on the 5th wheel. Line it up, back in 'till it goes KER-CHUNK! Done.

My 5th wheel with autolevel seems much more stable when people are inside moving around. That could be trailer quality or other factors that aren't equal, though.

Taller ceilings make it feel bigger inside (IMO).

5er cons:
Unhitching seems troublesome for us as 5er noobies. We have to back and forth and raise and lower until we can get the release bar to release. I suspect once we figure out what it wants from us, we will have less trouble.

5th wheels are generally more expensive for the same length trailer.

5th wheels generally require a more expensive truck.

Can't store much of anything in the bed of the truck while towing a 5er.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #8

Does the 5th Hitches stays inside the truck bed permanently? It can or you can remove it if needed. This is your option. Mine stays in unless I need the truck bed for something else like hauling mulch or wood or something.

Is backing up a 5th easier than TT? I think it is. If you have the right setup (like a long bed truck) you don't have to worry as much about jackknifing. You can also turn tighter when backing.

Is towing a 5th easier than TT? This is probably the biggest benefit. You don't have sway when a big rig passes. Also it just seems more solid on the road. Love a big heavy fifth wheel. It's also easier to hitch.

What is the pros/cons of 5th vs TT? Travel trailers are generally lighter and cheaper. They are also shorter if you have a carport you need to get under, low trees or low wires. If you go into the back country off grid don't even consider a fifth wheels. Fifth wheels tow better, are easier to hitch, easier to back and just plain cooler.

Decide on the truck and trailer then get a hitch that works with the truck and trailer. I got the Ford puck system and the Ford branded Reese 5th wheel. Everything works great.

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel