Old 07-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #1

Smile 5th Wheel Shopping - Front Living Room/Glass Door

Hi All -

Hubby and I love camping in our Sandpiper Destination model. Retirement is coming up soon and we're thinking of 5th wheeling it. So we can travel around with it a little. We are currently in a wonderful riverfront campground that we will be staying in - but want to be able to travel around a bit. Hate to trade in the Destination model with the sliding door - we love the river view. We were wondering if any of the Forest River 5th wheel models have a full glass (single) door? We've seen the Light model from another distributor (Highland Ridge RV) and they offer the full glass single door. I don't want to give up the view (or the Forest River reputation) - if we can help it. Our dogs love to lay there and look out the door. Plus safety to see who you are opening the door for when we're out traveling. Ideas on models? We've had 2 Sandpipers and have been very happy with them!

We will probably be upgrading our truck too. Our Tundra crewmax is a little light for a fifth wheel. We aren't going HUGE with a new 5th wheel and hubby wants a front living room.

Suggestions on 5th wheel models that might fit the "full glass door/front living room/not huge in weight/length)?

Thanks!

Becky & Jim with the furry kids!
Ohio

Old 07-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

I don't know many non-bunkhouses, but I don't know of a whole lot of fifth wheels with sliding doors that aren't park/destination models.

The closest that I think you can get are some of the models with a crazy number of windows.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

My wife and I retired several years ago and had 5ers. Now as we got older we traded to a tt as steps can now become a problem even up to the bedroom. Just something to consider. Good luck on your search. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #4

Our 360PDEK does not have a glass entry door but has a 6' sliding glass door on the rear with a deck. Our two dogs love to sit out on the deck and watch the world go by, I do too. Our dining room slide pulls out next to the entry door and it has a side window facing the door. Our dogs will also sit here and watch outside.

You'll need a much bigger truck. We pull ours with a GMC 3500 dually. The trailer is 42' long and weighs in close to 16000 lbs.

Good luck and enjoy your retirement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437823411029.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	84095  
Old 07-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #5

Most 5er's do not have a full glass door and those that do; have a glass window that are usually frosted so you can not see in or out. Now the Cedar Creek's have eliminated the window all together in the door and added just a PEEP Hole to see out. The DW really likes this as it cuts down on the light entering at night and the sun heat from the sun in the summertime when the door is closed.

The Cedar Creeks also have Lexan panels that you remove on the screen door so the screen door can be opened for viewing when the main door is in the hold open position. Or the panels can be removed to allow air flow through the screen door when the temps are cool. A nice feature in my opinion.

One more thing the Front Living Room models tend to be pin heavy so they will take at least a One (1) ton truck to tow them with.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #6

heartland has a good looking 5er with a front living room and a deck off of the kitchen.40 ' or better. I think it's a big country .
Old 07-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarbernermom View Post
Hi All -

Hubby and I love camping in our Sandpiper Destination model. Retirement is coming up soon and we're thinking of 5th wheeling it. So we can travel around with it a little. We are currently in a wonderful riverfront campground that we will be staying in - but want to be able to travel around a bit. Hate to trade in the Destination model with the sliding door - we love the river view. We were wondering if any of the Forest River 5th wheel models have a full glass (single) door? We've seen the Light model from another distributor (Highland Ridge RV) and they offer the full glass single door. I don't want to give up the view (or the Forest River reputation) - if we can help it. Our dogs love to lay there and look out the door. Plus safety to see who you are opening the door for when we're out traveling. Ideas on models? We've had 2 Sandpipers and have been very happy with them!

We will probably be upgrading our truck too. Our Tundra crewmax is a little light for a fifth wheel. We aren't going HUGE with a new 5th wheel and hubby wants a front living room.

Suggestions on 5th wheel models that might fit the "full glass door/front living room/not huge in weight/length)?

Thanks!

Becky & Jim with the furry kids!
Ohio
Having spent 40 years in the RV business I would recommend you take your time in purchasing a front living room 5th wheel. You better be sure you really want it and plan on keeping it for a long long time. These things come around every 5 years and sell like hot cakes to people who find them novel. The problem is the novelty doesn't last long and soon every dealer that has them is stuck with them and the bottom drops out of the price. Translation (you will have a devil of time getting rid of it when you decide that going up and down the stairs to the living area gets very old. With the bedroom you only go up once or twice a day but with the living room up there you are constantly going up and down. IMHO for whatever it's worth think hard about this, it could be an expensive mistake.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #8

I recently found a 5er toy hauler that has both rear deck with class sliding door and a side deck in the middle next to the side entry door that comes down and it has a glass slider behind it. Both decks had rails on them and was really nice set up. I don't remember what or who's 5er it was however.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #9

We like having more truck than necessary. Have a Ram 3500 dually pulling a Cedar Creek 38RD. Like knowing the the tow vehicle is capability exceeds the weight/size of trailer. Having dually has been very stable pulling. And, having exhaust brakes and other oversized systems makes descending hills and stopping more confident. Parking a little further away from the store entrance is a boost the our exercise program. A number of the manufacturers, CR included, have gotten very creative with floor plans. Have fun looking.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #10

we have a cedar creek 38 FL and like it a lot. seams to be more room in it then rear living room. If you can still walk a few steps .you will like it also. Just more room in it.

Tags
5th wheel, door, roo, wheel