Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #1

5th Wheel with front living room

The dw and I are considering a fifth wheel and saw a few ( key word - few) with the front living space. We are wondering why there are just a few models and what those who have one, think about it.
Danno23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #2

there was a long post about this a couple of months ago. many opinions were given. you might look for that post.

we have a cardinal 3825 that has the front living room. it's ours and we like it. but i think any reasons pro or con that you are given are primarily personal opinions. they may or may not work for you.

so here's my opinion. understand that i am 6'7" tall. invariably when you enter the 5th wheel there is another set of stairs on the right going up to the front bedroom /bathroom. and invariably there is a door right at the top of the stairs. we were at a show and i tried to go up those stairs and hit my head on either the door frame or the ceiling every time. our front living room cardinal has a high ceiling that allows me to stand erect and there is no door at the top of the internal steps. no head bumps!
Old 06-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #3

We have a 3800 Cardinal FL. It has the front living room. I love it as I'm very tall also. It has room in the front and the kitchen area is in the middle with a very tell kitchen and a ceiling fan. We looked for a long time and fell in love with it.
Good luck on whatever you chose. The unit has 5 slides, 2 are in the front living.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #4

I have a 2018 Cardinal 3825 FL. I am only 6' tall and they only complaint is that the theater seats are not long enough.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #5

We have a 2017 Riverstone with the front living. It was a personal choice. We are full timers and wanted the separate rooms. Didn’t want the open concept with the kitchen and living area
Clcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #6

Front living

We have a Columbus 391FL and it is just the two of us mostly we like it very much, has less basement storage than most units but works for us
Mike ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

We have a Columbus 381FL. Got it in 2015. I love the front living and DW loves the large kitchen. We took out the couch on the street side and replaced it with a computer desk. I had to make a small floor extension for the computer chair. It folds to the center to bring the slide in. As said before, you lose some basement storage but I still carry more crap than I can use.

Okie
08 F450
USMC Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #8

We have some good friends that have a Coachmen Chaparral 370 FL , they love it as well. While they are not full time, they use it ALOT!!!! And he worried about his wife being able to escape it if it caught fire. (Their previous fifth wheel.) At least that was his excuse, lol. I think it is a personal decision, good luck with yours.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #9

the previous post mentioned being able to escape if there was a fire. our cardinal has two doors and that is a feature that we really like!
Old 06-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #10

Front living room 5th wheel

We bought a used Crossroads Paradise Point as a 2nd camper to leave in Texas. I hate it, very little storage, small doors to get to the storage you have to crawl on your hands and knees to get anything in or out, Slides are only 3 1/2 feet above the ground. Head room lacks has only 6.3 inches height my head almost hits the AC, I'm 6 ft. I have a 5 slide out Cedar Creek at home with all kinds of storage and can almost stand up under the front slides. Our living room is in the rear and is a seperate room from the kitchen.
If you like buy it, but I have my last one.
Dale
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:30 PM   #11

I have a Montana 3761 FL. It has more storage than any 5er I've ever seen. The wife likes the 1 1/2 bath and the full bath on the tail being very large. The reason for all the storage is the bedroom and bathroom is raised like the front living room. The front has the batteries and 1 tub holding sewer stuff. The passthrough has a tv for outside viewing and her favorite folding rocker. Everything else is in the various rear storage compartments. We cannot come close to filling even when planning our 4 month snowbird trip or returning with her shopping finds!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #12

We went from a front bedroom Prime time crusader to a Cedar Creek Silverback 37RTH with a front living room. I didn't have a problem with the front BR but am happier with the front LR, plus now I can bring my HD Ultra Ltd with me.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #13

I don't have one, but this topic interests me. If I ever move to a 5er, the front living room is my current preference. I love the ones with the fireplace and tv over the FP. I have always had the following considerations:

Pros:
1. Fire escape. Shorter drop from the back than the front.
2. More likely to fall down the stairs in the middle of the night going to the bathroom if you have a front bedroom.
3. Bedroom is away from the road noise if you back it in.

Cons:
Only one I can think of right now: if your campsite has a really nice view from the back, like over the water, you can't see it from the living room. You'll have a nice view of the road and bathhouse instead.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #14

personal Opinion required

Looking for lots of head room, door in the center of unit, head room on both sides of the bed, light weight (subjective), lots of underbelly storage, 3 slides, ours is a rear living, it is our 5th or 6th unit since we started with popup. Prime Time Crusader, good hunting.
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, roo, wheel