Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #1

77 Prowler

We just got a new 1977 Prowler camper and we have no clue how the propane system works for the fridge and stove. We pluged the fridge in and couldnt get to work with 110. What do we need to place in the toliet to get it in working order? Thanks for your help.
bigd49328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #2

You have a pretty old trailer so we will have to reach deep into our memory banks to try and remember how these things worked in those days. I hope it is in good shape and has been well maintained. This should be a good thread for some of our older, more experienced members to help you out with. I'll do my best and hope some others chime in.

The stove should be pretty standard. First be sure you have a good regulator at your tanks and that they are full. On a rig this old, you might want to put on a new one. You might also check for leaks. If you are not comfortable with this, take it to a qualified shop and have someone check it for you. You don't need this thing blowing up.

For the stove, you should only have to light them after you turn the knob on once the gas is flowing. There may be air to be purged but they should light.
The oven will have a pilot light that you will need to light, which is probably inside the oven. Look inside to the area of the burner and you should see the area to light it. Again it may take a few minutes for the gas to get to the opening.

On a fridge that old, I think you have to open the rear of panel outside the trailer and light a pilot there. I had a 1989 that had an automatic lighter inside the fridge, but if it didn't work, I had to go outside and light it. That is probably how yours works. As for the 110 problem, check that area in the back panel to see if it is plugged in. My old 1989 actually had a receptacle in the panel box area to plug the fridge into.

For the toilet, it should work. Not sure what is going on there. You should be able to open he valve and it should open into the black tank. You may only have a single tank on a '77 model. Not sure when they started putting gray and black tanks on them.

You will also have a manual water heater that works only on gas. You will have to light it at the panel door outside too. There should be a knob on it to turn for lighting.

Good luck with this and hopefully some more folks will come along to help you out.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #3

I think the propane issue has been covered. As for the toilet a little more information as to the problem will make solving it easier. To start with if you are hooked up to "city" water buy pushing the foot lever water should flow to the bowl and the cover at the bottom of the bowl will open. If you are trying to use your on board fresh water you will need to make sure the water pump is on. Again more information will be helpful.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

The way you phrased your inquiry about the toilet suggests that it may be a recirculating toilet. Our first trailer (1972 model) had one. You 'charged' it by putting three gallons of water in it, added the enzyme powder or liquid and recirculated the water over and over for flushing. Every few days or at the end of the weekend, you dump it.

Of course, if all you're asking about is the enzyme to break down the nasties in the tank, nearly any RV supply or campground store will carry several different types, powders, liquid, tablets. They all do the same job. There are directions for use on the packaging.

As stated above, check the outside door to the back of the refrigerator. Many of the older ones were 'three-way', Ac or DC electric or propane. If your's is like that and it works on DC but not AC, it simply may not be plugged in. To use propane, you have to open a small access hole to get to the pilot light.
A 33 year old fridge is not going to cool very quickly unless it has been serviced regularly. It's old. It could take a few hours, especially if it's hot outside.
I second the suggestion about changing out the propane regulator. A fairly simple and inexpensive job.

BTW - those old Prowlers are heavy by today's standards, but, they are pretty stout. They were a popular rig in this neck of the woods through the 70's and 80's. If you've got one that's been even moderately looked after, it could last you a long time.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab, Vortec Max
Prodigy, Reece DC

GAL119 is offline   Reply With Quote