Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #21

I hate to be a stick-in-the-mud, but doesn't the sidewinder put the hitch pivot point in a dangerous location? The pivot point is supposed to be just in front of the TV's rear axle for a reason. I realise that it just means that the fifth wheel will act like a bumper-hitch trailer, but in most cases it will be a MUCH heavier trailer.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
I hate to be a stick-in-the-mud, but doesn't the sidewinder put the hitch pivot point in a dangerous location? The pivot point is supposed to be just in front of the TV's rear axle for a reason. I realise that it just means that the fifth wheel will act like a bumper-hitch trailer, but in most cases it will be a MUCH heavier trailer.
I am not a scientist but this is not the way I see it. The reason for the centre of the pin to be directly over the centreline of the rear axle of the truck, or just slightly forward of that point is to distribute the pin weight correctly between front and rear axles. Further back the front of the vehicle will lift which at speed effects steering negatively. Your comments do apply when manouvering where the RV is at an angle to the truck but this would apply to a slider as well, however this only happens at manouvering speeds and so the slight lift at the front is not a serious factor.

It is true that the pivot point is moved rearwards (but not the pin weight), by 20 inches, this enables almost effortless 90 deg turns without the risk of the RV hitting the back of the cab. However on the road the behaviour of the towed vehicle will be slightly different to that of a conventional pin box and fifth wheel hitch. The pros outweigh the cons, I think there are some threads on this. Google Sidewinder v slider.
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #23

I only know that I have been in a few 'panic' situations where someone has put me in the position where I have to do a hard and fast maneuver, and if I had all of the fifth wheel weight pushing/pulling at the back of the truck, it would have been very uncomfortable.
But you are probably right, in that those who don't want to buy a long box truck must compromise somehow.
I just feel a lot safer with the proper setup.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post

With the sidewinder pin box, the king pin isn't the pivot point, but it is the weight loading point of the camper to the tow vehicle. The pin weight is still on, or slightly ahead, of the rear axle centerline.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #25

"With the sidewinder pin box, the king pin isn't the pivot point, but it is the weight loading point of the camper to the tow vehicle. The pin weight is still on, or slightly ahead, of the rear axle centerline."

Yes, I realise that of course. I was just thinking of the leverage being moved toward the rear of the truck. It is only the odd situation where it rears its ugly head, but jacknifing is no fun.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #26

Got my VIN number today so with the 16K sidewinder I'm a happy chappy. Tweetys are offering a Reese Pro 15K for $325 with universal 10 bolt rails, delivered, do you think this will be a good combo?
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #27

Just ordered an 8280WS and also need pin box model

Just ordered an 8280WS and also need pin box model. From what read I believe it comes with a Lippert 1621. I will need to get a capture plate for my pullrite hitch. It looks like pullrite makes a universal quick connect capture plate for the Lippert pin boxes. Hopefully RVW stocks them so when I pick it up I can get one installed.
robynest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Most RV dealers do not stock capture plates. My dealer had to order one and it came in about the time the camper did. They installed it after the PDI when I picked it up a week later after their "dealer prep".
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Pin box number

The pin box # on my new 8285WS is LIPP-1621, Rating 15.500, CSA: Z240.1.2-M99. I hope this will help out. There is a brand new adaptor (universal) capture plate that requires no drilling to your king pin box. Pretty neat how it installs. It is available from PullRite.

I got the info off my pin box from a sticker just this morning.

RVW did not stock the universal capture plate, they had to get it from a warehouse that stocked it. I would suggest you go ahead and order it in advance thru RVW so they will have it on hand for your application.

I use a short bed 5'6" on a F-150, I used the SuperGlide #3100
hitch with the lift kit. Works great, I am very pleased with it.

Good luck!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, 5th wheel, 8280ws