Old 06-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
A/C Not Cooling Properly

Have a new 2016 Salem TT. On an 80ish degree day in the shade, my air set on cool to 74 degrees (thermostat; fan on auto, per instructions from the dealer). The air does not come out very cool and the A/C ran the entire day. On my old trailer, i could see the water draining off the roof from the A/C. Nothing on this one. Old trailer would cool it down really good.

If i changed the thermostat, the fan would kick off, sounded like the compressor kicked on and fan would come back on. No issue at night (did not run because trailer had cooled down).

Any advice on this one before taking back for a checkup by the dealer? Seen threads about checking the input/output temp but now sure how to do this (Accountant by trade ) or other checks I should do?

Thanks in advance.

chriscwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
Head Rambler
Was the Quick Cool vent open when you checked it?

It's pretty easy to check the delta temp between the outlet and return if you have a regular or infrared thermometer. Just take a reading at the return grate and then one at the outlet grate with the quick cool vent open and subtract the outlet from the return temp. It should be about 15F.

You also should remove the grill and inspect the partition between the discharge and return. It should be sealed off and not leak air between the two.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
I will check that. Thanks for the info. Good info on youtube as well.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Definitely check the divider!

I've had two forest river units with divider issues.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "10"
TURBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #5
Checked out the input/output temp. No difference. Took it to the dealer. Compressor has power but does not kick on. Looks like I am getting a new AC unit.