Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Salem 27BHSS

Abnormal Tire Wear - Salem LE 27BHSS

I have a 2006 Salem LE 27BHSS that I have had continual tire wear issues. The first summer I had all four tires scalloped bald on the inside, and it was deemed the cause was defective axles, and I had all four tires and both axles replaced under warranty.

Last summer I took another extended trip, and this time the two tires on the passenger side scalloped bald on the outside, and the two tires on the drivers side are also showing signs of scalloping, but to a much lesser degree.

My manual says the tires (ST205-75D-15) are rated load range C (max 1820 pounds at 50 PSI), but here is the twist. Two tires say to inflate to a maximum of 32 PSI, while two others say to inflate to a maximum of 50 PSI. My spare tire is labelled for 32 PSI. Because my manual indicates 50 PSI, and I guess when I checked a tire for rating I checked the 50 PSI tire, which is what all four were inflated to.

The other twist I just discovered is that because the trailer is labelled for a maximum weight of 7660 pounds, the trailer should have come with either ST225-75D-15 tires (load range C, maximum weight of 2150 lbs at 50 PSI) or ST225-75D-15, load range D tires, with a maximum weight of 2540 lbs at 65 PSI.

Has anybody else had this experience, or can you offer some advice. The Carlisle link I used is

http://www.carlisletire.com/products...ail/index.html

Newfoundland, Canada
rfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #2

Scalloped on the out side low tire pressure, bald in the center to much air pressure ,scallloped on the inside side caster is off outside scalloped camber is off .If the toe is off you will burn the rubber off fast. I would suggest a frame and axel shop. Then send the bill to the dealer . Also a good tire shop can send you in the rite direction.
hail chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Salem 27BHSS

Update

I just went back outside in the daylight, and I actually have 3 tires rated at 32 PSI (only about 1400 lbs rated), and one at 50 PSI (1820 lbs rated). Looks like I am way undersized.

Newfoundland, Canada
rfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #4

I will be sure to check which tires I have as soon as I get home today. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

2008 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Double Cab SR5
2009 Salem LE 26TBSS
Reese Strait-Line with Dual Cam HP

Days Camping 2008 = 12
gaspasser36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #5

I had a similar problem .
Took our surveyor to the Dealer ,and it was discovered that the axles were out of allingment.
Both axles were replaced .
All is well now.
Cherokee and Surveyor.
Harli
Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagan View Post
I just went back outside in the daylight, and I actually have 3 tires rated at 32 PSI (only about 1400 lbs rated), and one at 50 PSI (1820 lbs rated). Looks like I am way undersized.
The other thing to check is the ply rating. Trailer tires are a min of 6 ply and I don't know of any trailer tire that requires 32 psi, they normally start at 50 psi and go up that's according to the tire chart that I have. If the tires that you have are less then 6 ply, then they may be automotive tires not service trailer tires. Just this year I changed my tires from ST205R/75 15 C rated to ST 225R/ 15 D rated, it is a world of difference.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27bhss