Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Salem 27BHSS

Question Abnormal Tire Wear (scalloping) Salem LE 27BHSS

I have a 2006 Salem LE 27BHSS. The first season I bought it I went on a 5000KM trip and discovered that all four tires had scalloped bald on the inside edge of the tire (2 or 3 treads). The local dealer identified both my axles were bent down instead of up, so both axles and all four tires were replaced on warranty. I didn't do any more trailering that year, and last year I only did several hundred kilometers.

My problem... I went on another long trip (~5000kms) this summer and discovered that both tires on the right side (passenger side) were scalloped bald on the outside of the tire, while the leftside tires appear almost normal.

Any suggestions beside tire pressure. They are all inflated to 50 PSI as noted on the tires, and recommended by the dealer.
rfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
RAC

Not being able to see your trailer underneath, I would have one question and one possible solution.

Question: Are you loading one side differently than the other, taking into account the weight of pre-installed equipment?

Possible siolution if answer is no is to make shims to change the tow of the tire.....difficult, not impossible.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Salem 27BHSS

To my knowledge I do not load one side more than the other, but I guess it is possible. Would that cause my tires to wear out in about 6000 kilometers (3729 miles)??

I assume you mean to force the tire to tip in more on the top to force the weight to the centre of the tire? Is there an easy way to measure this?

Thanks for your advice
Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
RAC

normally to check tow you run a straight edge along the side and visualize what you need to do. I don't know if there are adjustments you can make or not.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
RAC

you could also get unusual wear from over inflated tires.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I'd be curious to hear what the people who replaced your axles and tires have to say about your current problem. I am not overly expert on the subject of trailer running gear and am assuming that your new axles were accurately installed, which is not always the case. (Perhaps the installation was even warranted.) Given that, I find it curious that you went from having inside wear on both sides to having outside wear on only one side.

I've done a bit of research and the following may help identify the problem.

http://dexteraxle.com/tire_wear

Also, see "Dog Tracking" (below) if your trailer has conventional sprung axles. (FR does not mention that issue one way or the other but it looks from the Salem pictures on the Web as if you might.)

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/Desig...iderations.pdf

Two other thoughts, again assuming conventional (sprung) axles. Are the spring attachment points to the frame and axle properly positioned? Are any components worn from your previous problems?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:28 AM   #7
RAC

I was thinking the same thing and was gonna post something to that effect the more I thought about it........it could actually be the position of the mounting hardware being askew at a tilt.....
Old 07-26-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Salem 27BHSS

Thanks for all the feedback. Those Dexter Axle links were great. Their site has lots of great info. I have my measuring tape out soon.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #9

I found it wise to have tires and rims balanced and checked for being true
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27bhss