Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 12:01 AM   #1

Advice On Which Trailer To Go With??!!

Hello!

I'm looking to buy a TT in the next 60 days. We wanted to get others advice on which brand and floor plan would best suit our needs. I have a 4 and 7 year old, we would like bunks for them. Our main wants at this point are, a big enough dinette for all four of us,queen bed, full size fridge/freezer combo, small bathroom, double sink or 1 large one in the kitchen area,3 burner stove with exhaust vent,no slide outs, half ton tow-able. Thanks!
Rhino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:23 AM   #2

You're going to get all kinds of opinions; here's my 2 cents in what I'm most familiar with:

In the Rockwood Mini-Lite/Flagstaff Micro-Lite line, I think only the 2306 (GVWR about 5,500lbs) would meet your description; however, the 34" dinette might be a bit small for you. If you need a larger dinette, you'll most likely need a slide-out; this can get you the more standard 44" dinette or even an 84" U-dinette. For example, the 2504S (GVWR 6,500lbs) has an 84" U-dinette, 2 bunks for the kids, but has a slide-out and a Murphy bed.

If you don't mind a hybrid, the 3 small Rockwood Roo/Flagstaff Shamrock's (17, 183, and 19; with GVWR's of about 4,400lbs, 4,800lbs, and 4,900lb respectively) would fit the bill. If the kids can sleep together, you could go with the 17 or 19 with 2 bunks; if not, the 183 has 3 bunks. These all have 44" dinettes.

Be careful when you say "1/2 ton towable." Not all half tons are created equal. My 2009 Silverado owners manual listed 99 permutations that ranged from 4,000 lb to 12,000 lb towing capacity. That's a pretty big spread. You need to know exactly what the towing capacity of YOUR 1/2 ton is (mine was 7,500lbs). (I see you have a 2014; the number of permutations listed in your owners manual is down to about 50, but the spread is still there.) The RV dealers will tout the dry weight of their trailers; ignore the dry weight and use only the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), which should be listed on the sticker on the front street (drivers) side of the trailer. Also, look on the drivers door frame of your pickup to see what your allowable payload is. Most people exceed the payload before the towing capacity. Figure the tongue weight will be 15% of the GVWR of the TT; subtract this tongue weight from the allowable payload of your truck. What's left you can use for wife, kids, dog, weight distribution hitch, and "stuff." And don't believe the salesman if he says, "Oh, this is 1/2 ton towable;" he'll tell you anything to sell you a trailer. Remember, he doesn't know WHICH 1/2 ton pickup you have; and chances are 100 to 1 he won't ask before he tells you this lie.

I would suggest you hit as many nearby RV shows this winter as you can. You'll soon figure out what floor plans you like and what's available within the capabilities of your truck.

Looks like at least 2 RV shows in your state:

2017 Alabama RV Shows Camping Expos | RV Shows in AL | RVPark411.com

Good luck.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:44 AM   #3

Rhinoi,
I agree with "Rockford". You are right at the critical point with your 1/2 ton truck, and can easily make a mistake where it would not be adequate. You should also count on making some "spendy" additions to your truck. This forum is an excellent place for information. (p.s. we love our single slide in a 451, but then we tow with a Ram 2500, six speed trany, 8' bed, diesel).

-----------
Bow, WA
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:46 AM   #4

Those were pretty much my requirements with one difference. I figured that I can't have 4 people comfortable in the dinette without a slide-out in the main area so I went for the Coachmen Apex Nano 193BHS. It has only two burners but other than that it's pretty close to what you need.

Back to the slide-out, i did a lot of research into how to sit 4 people in the dinette comfortably but only with the slide it was possible. It also opens up the floorplan really nicely.
norberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #5

Whoops - I made a type - we have a 251 RKS Surveyor. dry weight is under 6,000.

------------------
Bow WA
Old 12-23-2016, 01:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norberts View Post
Those were pretty much my requirements with one difference. I figured that I can't have 4 people comfortable in the dinette without a slide-out in the main area so I went for the Coachmen Apex Nano 193BHS. It has only two burners but other than that it's pretty close to what you need.

Back to the slide-out, i did a lot of research into how to sit 4 people in the dinette comfortably but only with the slide it was possible. It also opens up the floorplan really nicely.
I really wanted to avoid the slideout but I'm looking at the Coachman Apex as I type this. Do you enjoy your? What tow vehicle are you using? Also what size tv did you mount in it? Thanks for the reply

Also thank you to everyone that has replied to my tread. I will checkout my payload capacity in the morning.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino1 View Post
I really wanted to avoid the slideout but I'm looking at the Coachman Apex as I type this. Do you enjoy your? What tow vehicle are you using? Also what size tv did you mount in it? Thanks for the reply

Also thank you to everyone that has replied to my tread. I will checkout my payload capacity in the morning.
We just got it two weeks ago, taking it out next weekend for the first time. I really like the interior, very stylish and well built and the slide-out makes a lot of usable space in this rather small unit.

I have a Jeep Cherokee so I had to limit myself to around 4500lbs GVWR. I tows really well, at least while empty. So far I'm very happy.
norberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:58 AM   #8

I agree on slide outs they add so much more living space.
Crusader 816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:32 AM   #9

Your wish list sort of points to a 3 bunk hybrid such as a Rockwood/Flagstaff 233S. Then you have 3 RV queen beds and every other thing you are looking for albeit you still have a slide. That is without knowing how you feel about the canvas. If you are even interested in considering a hybrid, take into account you'll have more open room than you'll have in even a 30', front bedroom TT with bunks as the beds do not take any floor-space. You also have many more options for parking and storage along with site selection at campgrounds. A hybrid will put you in the same weight range as any comparable sized conventional trailer you consider with much more room.

Even then whatever way you choose your trucks actual capabilities should be your first concern as others have mentioned. Being able to tow something is one thing. Being able to tow something comfortably and not worrying about how much extra gear you want to take and such is another. As rockford mentioned, all 1500's are not created equal.

Finding what you are looking for without the slide is a tough nut. Not many models/brands/floor-plans are being made by anyone anymore in the size I believe your looking at.

That being said, and without starting the who is better than who debate, I certainly would be looking at other manufacturers and not limiting myself to only Forest River products when looking at new. Take a look at the Keystone Passport 239ML.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
Canadian Member

So, your needs/wants are:
- bunks
- a big dinette
- queen bed
- full size fridge/freezer combo
- small bathroom
- double sink or 1 large one in the kitchen area
- 3 burner stove with exhaust vent
- no slide outs
- half ton tow-able

I agree with Rockfordroo on the Minilite/Microlite TTs and the Roo/Shamrock hybrids.

How long do you plan to keep the camper? I ask because you will outgrow some of the features as the kids grow although at 4 and 7 that will take a few years. The features I'm thinking about are the regular dinette and the bunks.

Also, how often will you be able to use it? If you aren't going to be able to camp very often, bunk beds eat up a lot of floor space. We opted for a U shaped dinette because it was easy to convert to a (queen size) bed at night and provided a larger space for eating and playing cards and board games.

One warning about small bathrooms. You'll grow tired of that very quickly. If you want to use the shower, make sure it's not too small for you. The one in our 2010 Roo was too small and had a curtain rather than walls and a door. Current Roos and Shamrocks are moving to walled showers.

I'm curious why you're reluctant to have a slideout? They do add some weight but the extra space they provide is awesome.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
Insert witty title here

My Coachmen 310BHDS has every one of the features you are looking for except it has 2 slides.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #12

Check these out. We've had 2 Prime Time units and have been very happy with them.

Avenger Travel Trailers / Toy Haulers by Prime Time Manufacturing
Tracer Air Travel Trailers by Prime Time Manufacturing

I know you mentioned no slides but with 2 growing boys, the outdoor kitchen option & their own bunkroom may be a way to go. Depending of course, on the capabilities of your 1/2 ton as the GVW of these 2 is right in the area of 9600 lbs.

Good luck with your search.

LaCrosse Travel Trailers by Prime Time Manufacturing
LaCrosse Travel Trailers by Prime Time Manufacturing
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #13
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino1 View Post
Hello!

I'm looking to buy a TT in the next 60 days. We wanted to get others advice on which brand and floor plan would best suit our needs. I have a 4 and 7 year old, we would like bunks for them. Our main wants at this point are, a big enough dinette for all four of us,queen bed, full size fridge/freezer combo, small bathroom, double sink or 1 large one in the kitchen area,3 burner stove with exhaust vent,no slide outs, half ton tow-able. Thanks!
What is your towing vehicle? Can you tell us your towing/tongue capacity? That was my baseline when choosing the TT. That is why, we picked the Rockwood 2306. Ruled out the slideout because of added complexity and weight. We wanted the biggest with the lowest amount of weight. My truck is rated to 7000 Lbs towing and pulls it really nice with a 3.6 L V6. When choosing a TT consider also cargo on top of the TT dry weight. You will see that weight adds up pretty quick with all the other things. If I tow it with my car, is bellow the towing capacity at about 1,000 lbs of cargo to spare.

Is a very easy TT to take care of, the construction is pretty solid. This is our 1st and is easy to service, winterize and hook up. Also, value (how long you want to keep it/trade) and payments.

We looked at Lance and Artic Cat, the Rockwood has a very similar construction at about half the price. Gulfstream... they look nice but they are heavy and expensier too (the Apple product of the industry, a fad).

My plans has changed and with the new truck, we could go a bit higher but we still love our TT. Is small but big enough. The dinette set can be converted on a 6ft long bed. The table is loose, can be placed outside if need to. We hardly seat all of us at once so I will not be too concerned. One cooking while others eating and the stove is next to the table. A small folding chair will add an extra seat. The bunk beds, are small, I can fit in them. My daughter loves them and her friends too. They are hard to fix because of the small confinement and odd dimenssions. However, they can be used as storage if nobody are using them. The Murphy Bed/Couch is a huge plus, hide the bed and plenty space to watch TV or just sit around; or even eat. As far heating, a 1,500 W electric space heater does a terrific job; it does get hot.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #14
Site Team

From the OP's profile, he has a 2014 Silverado 5.3 v8
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #15

Just to throw one more at you ~~ a young couple I know had the very same desires of you and ended with a Bullet they are extremely happy with. It is the 2070BH model. He has had it almost 2 years with no problems. He said loaded ready to camp his TW is just under 500#. It is about 24'.
http://www.keystonerv.com/bullet/
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #16

Previous comments are all good, but I would add this: Only you and your family can decide on the floor plan that suits your needs. For example, if you go with slides, is it important to you that when retracted the slides don't block access to the bathroom or the fridge. Is it important whether the chairs and sofa are convenient for you to see the TV without twisting your neck? The best way to figure out what floor plan you really want is to visit as many dealers and RV shows as you can, climb aboard as many models as you can, have the slides retracted and extended, take pictures and brochures, and make notes. Only then try to decide the best choice for your family.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #17
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Overlooked that info; thanks for pointing that out. A quick Google search is 11,500 towing capacity with the 5.3 V8. There is a really good selection of TTs well bellow that weight.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #18

rhino,
I had an older 2004 RAM 2500, 6 speed manual,8'bed,diesel. So I tow with it. I hope this attachment works, showing the sitting area of the slide.

---------
Bow WA
Old 12-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
Overlooked that info; thanks for pointing that out. A quick Google search is 11,500 towing capacity with the 5.3 V8. There is a really good selection of TTs well bellow that weight.
Go back and read my Post #2. My 5.3 V8 was only rated for 7,500. You have to read the owners manuals; don't fall for some towing guide.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #20

We've got a Wildwood X-Lite which is 26' long, no slides, two bunks, a Queen bed for us and has a GVWR of only 5400 lbs. I respect those who have a hybrid and love them (we had a Gulf Breeze hybrid before the X-Lite and a Starcraft pop-up before that) but we're glad we made the switch to hard sides all around. If, like us, you camp in areas that have cool and/or damp nights the canvas ends make the trailer hard to heat. Not trying to start a fuss but been there, done that and have no regrets with hard sides all around. As others have said, visit as many dealers / shows as possible to see what is available vs what you want. You might even consider renting one for a weekend to get a better feel for what you really need. Getting into trailering is one of the best decisions our family has made and I wish you the same.

Tags
trailer