Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

While this is true to an extent, there are those trucks out there that have too much squat and still well within payload. Fords seem to be light at top of the spring load (this from general consensus). Even those with 350s are putting airbags on to give a little boost. Like I mentioned before, had them on my 2500 but didn't care for them, and now that I have a 3500 I end up loading up the bed of the truck (even if it's concrete blocks) for a little better ride. Bags can and are good for their intended purpose, which is to help those trucks that are at the upper limit of their capacities, not to raise the capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #22

Added Firestones to my F250 and it really makes a difference in the ride both with and without the 5th wheel. Like in other posts, do not add them thinking that you can increase load.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:45 PM   #23
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD3 View Post
I found out today that the Firestone air bags I was thinking about buying will not work with the custom frame rail kit that I used to install my fifth wheel hitch as it covers the hole in the truck frame that is used to connect the top flange of the air bag kit to the frame. from the inside. This is the frame rail kit

Has anyone had this problem and were you able to solve it? According to Reese it will void the warranty if I drill a hole for the new Air Bag installation.

All of this is making me look to another way to solve the problem. Has anyone had any experience with Super Springs?

Thanks

BigD3
I have almost exact same setup except I have the Curt brackets and ISR's. On drivers side the upper air bag mount uses the aft DEF tank mount bracket bolt hole which is behind the Curt bracket. I had to remove the Curt bracket from drivers side to get to factory bolt, removed bolt and p-clip and used bolt & nut supplied with airbag kit to attach upper airbag bracket and DEF bracket then reinstalled Curt bracket. On passenger side the upper airbag attach hole is thru the large oval shaped hole in middle of bracket, I just removed 3/4" bolt I installed during Curt bracket install and added the upper airbag bracket in, bolt was plenty long.
Airbags made a huge difference. I would also recommend onboard air pump, I installed as well, slight PITA but once done it works great! And also I could not imagine arriving at CG, dumping the 5thW off and then spending the next few days riding around with 40 PSI of air in the bags with no load.. ouch! LOL .

BTW, The Curt bracket is a no drill kit at <$100 too. It is a solid piece of kit,made in The USA and your rails would work with it too.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
exactly. Every time someone posts a pic online (here or elsewhere) and the truck is sitting low in rear, everyone starts commenting "AIRBAGS, AIRBAGS". How about get a heavier truck. That's the fix

x2

dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #25

I pull a fifth wheel with a heavy F150. While the truck sets level without air bags, I added them to keep from bottoming on bridge approaches. It sure rides better. I had to modify the mountings to work with the attachments for the sliding hitch.

Johnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #26

I also have a 2011 F250 XLT crew cab 6.7L with a Silverback 31B behind it. I installed the Airlift 5000 plus airbag system with wireless pump. It will make a huge difference in the feel of your towing. Just a word of advise if you are in cold areas during winter make sure you put air brake anti freeze in airbags when you install. A bit of a pain to do after they are in.
RamLab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamLab2 View Post
I also have a 2011 F250 XLT crew cab 6.7L with a Silverback 31B behind it. I installed the Airlift 5000 plus airbag system with wireless pump. It will make a huge difference in the feel of your towing. Just a word of advise if you are in cold areas during winter make sure you put air brake anti freeze in airbags when you install. A bit of a pain to do after they are in.

good to know, am having them installed today in fact and though no cold camping here I may think on this more...thx!

2014 F250 SD Platinum 4X4
2015 Rockwood Ultralite 8289WS
32' Diamond/Platinum 50a Arctic Package
cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #28
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Anybody using Roadmaster? See Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:37 AM   #29

follow up on previous entry
had the air lift 5000 wireless air bags installed NICE
had the TFI 75gallon aux fuel tk installed NICE now have a 1000 mile range

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1426498615.569696.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	71428Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1426498633.371460.jpg
Views:	201