Old 11-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #1

Air suspension advantage or not

I have a 2011 Ford F250 XLT 6.7L Diesel and I pull a FR Silverback LTDTS 33 foot fifth wheel. I am a little below max weights for truck and trailer. I was thinking about adding rear air suspension to help stabilize the ride.

Is this money well spent, and what would the advantages be?

Thanks In Advance
Dick

2011 FORD F250 XLT 6.7L DIESEL
BigD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #2

I'm a huge fan of the airbags! You will love em

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 11-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #3

Air bags are the best. I have Firestones on my Ford and the AirLift WirelessOne compressor system. It makes a ton of difference with chucking and it keeps the rear from sagging and banging the jounce stops.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

The first time I hooked up to my 5r, my TV squatted more than I expected. Firestone Air Lifts were the first addition I added to my truck. With 20 to 25 lb of air, my truck now sits level. I never regretted spending the money. Maintain no less than than 10 lb at all times and when up on a hoist with rear wheels hanging free, all air needs to be bled according to Firestone.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They seem to be more popular with the Ford crowd, as most all end up putting air bags on them. I on the other hand, had them on my Chevy 2500 pulling a 42' 14k 5er and didn't like them at all. I absolutely won't put them on my 3500. In fact I usually add weight to the bed of my truck to get the ride to a more acceptable level, and that's with 2400lb pin weight.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #6

Thanks to everyone for the replies. My truck does squat about 3 inches and I had not thought about the headlights. I can see where riding level might be an advantage. I found a set of Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs - Double Convoluted on ETrailer and now I'll have a project to keep me busy this winter. I found this info on their site. It talks about some of the advantages of air bags and it would appear that it will help stability I my original post I did not include the fact that my F250 is a SRW

• Maximize safe load-carrying capacity, increase stability and improve ride quality
    • Install between your Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty's frame and its rear suspension
  • Keep your Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty level when you are hauling a heavy load
    • Improve steering control and braking when you are hauling or towing
    • Level your headlight beams
    • Reduce tire wear
  • Maintain even load distribution with air pressure, leveling off-center loads
    • Air bags adjust manually, side to side, with individual inflation valves
  • Reduce strain on rear suspension
    • Prevent permanent sagging and excessive friction in leaf springs
  • Increase stability
    • Absorb road shock for a smooth ride
    • Soften contact between axle and frame to prevent bottoming out
Thanks for the replies

Old 11-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #7

I have the same truck, same year. Ford went with a softer 3-leaf spring pack on the F250 in 2011+ for a softer ride. The problem is any weight tends to make the truck drop. I went with Super springs and my truck stays level with the fifth wheel.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw99 View Post
I have the same truck, same year. Ford went with a softer 3-leaf spring pack on the F250 in 2011+ for a softer ride. The problem is any weight tends to make the truck drop. I went with Super springs and my truck stays level with the fifth wheel.

I had seen the springs while looking for air bags but just passed over them. Now that I have looked at the install instructions it appears that this may be a good alternate way to go. Do you have any photos of the install on your truck? If so could you post them or send me a link so that I can see them installed?Did you install them yourself or have someone install them for you? When the trailer is not connected how much do they affect the ride? With the air bags I was thinking that I could take the pressure down to 15lbs when not towing and the ride would be very close to normal.

The fact that ford eliminated a Leaf or two does not make any sense If anyone wanted a softer ride they should buy a F150 gasser. These trucks are designed to be a work horse

Any input you furnish would be helpful

Thanks in advance

Dick

Old 11-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #9

I found out today that the Firestone air bags I was thinking about buying will not work with the custom frame rail kit that I used to install my fifth wheel hitch as it covers the hole in the truck frame that is used to connect the top flange of the air bag kit to the frame. from the inside. This is the frame rail kit

Has anyone had this problem and were you able to solve it? According to Reese it will void the warranty if I drill a hole for the new Air Bag installation.

All of this is making me look to another way to solve the problem. Has anyone had any experience with Super Springs?

Thanks

BigD3

Old 11-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #10

PM sent.

Tags
suspension