Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #1

Am I crazy?

Here's what the plans are. Tell me if I'm crazy or not.

TV 2011 F-150 Crew Cab Ecoboost.
11,300 lb towing capacity
1960 lb payload capacity
GCWR 17,100 lbs

2011 Rockwood 5th Wheel Model 8281SS
Hitch weight 1407 lbs
Dry Weight 7308 lbs
GVWR 9407 lbs
31 ft 2" length

Would you do it? I'm thinking I will. Just getting all the plans together.
TravisGSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #2

I have been interested in the ecoboost F150, I think a memebr bought one for a TV but I am not sure what he is pulling with it.

I pull a 30 foot bumber pull 6500lb trailer with 600lb toungue weight with a 2000 f150 ext cab with 5.4/auto and tow package.

I would not think you would have a problem since this is a 5th wheel. just watch your payload cap as I guess with a 5er that is also your Hitch weight.

Hey all you 5-R's time for you to chime in on this thread..
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I just wanted to say you've got a great vehicle. That new Ecoboost is really nice. Keep us updated as I think you'll be one of the first towing with it on this board.

I think the limiter here is Pin weight but I'll let the 5W experts tackle this one.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #4

Triguy, I haven't gotten the truck in yet but it will be my TV. We rather a 5er but want to be smart about it also. I'll go TT if I have to but rather not.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Too bad you don't have the truck already...if you did you could weigh it (front and rear axle weights) full of fuel, ready to camp. The trucks GVWR (I believe it's 7550#) minus the weight of the truck loaded, ready to camp will be the actual payload available for the camper's pin weight and hitch. The hitch will be about 200#.

I'll also say that that pin weight with the camper loaded will probably be in the 1700# range. I'm going to guess that you'll be over the truck's GVWR.

The other way to determine actual payload available is the rear axle weight rating (RAWR) minus the rear axle weight of the truck loaded ready to camp. You always have more payload capacity by this method. I'd guess that you'd be under the truck's RAWR.

Will it handle the pin weight and total weight...I think so. It's your call as you won't comply with the trucks GVWR.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #6

Based on what you posted...and a quick review of FORD and FOREST RIVER info...
Yes.. you are C R A Z Z Y

BUT, you are under and therefore safe to go...IMHO

AL-AS$$, this is not your OK, but it looks good on paper!
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #7

Personally I wouldn't do it. I'm not normally a number cruncher but in this case you are going to exceed the payload capacity of the truck by quite a bit. By the time you add gear to the fifth wheel you will increase the pin weight up to at least 1600 pounds. If you load the fifth wheel to its GVWR of 9407 the pin weight will be near 1780 pounds. Add to that the 200 pounds for the hitch, 300 pounds for two adults, additional weight for any children, 160 pounds for a full tank of fuel and any other gear (firewood) you put in the back of the pickup and you will be taxing the truck to the max. You'll probably have so much sag in the rear end it will affect the truck's steering.

Since the model you have picked is a bunk model, I take if for granted you have children. Do everyone in your family a favor and move up to a 3/4 ton truck.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #8

You can probably pull it ok, but I wouldn't go on any long trips.
We have a similar trailer, and it is comfortable with our diesel, but I wouldn't pull it with a half ton. But we do go on long trips, and do go into the mountains.
If you do go with that package, please come back and give an honest review.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Personally I wouldn't do it. I'm not normally a number cruncher but in this case you are going to exceed the payload capacity of the truck by quite a bit. By the time you add gear to the fifth wheel you will increase the pin weight up to at least 1600 pounds. If you load the fifth wheel to its GVWR of 9407 the pin weight will be near 1780 pounds. Add to that the 200 pounds for the hitch, 300 pounds for two adults, additional weight for any children, 160 pounds for a full tank of fuel and any other gear (firewood) you put in the back of the pickup and you will be taxing the truck to the max. You'll probably have so much sag in the rear end it will affect the truck's steering.

Since the model you have picked is a bunk model, I take if for granted you have children. Do everyone in your family a favor and move up to a 3/4 ton truck.
X2. I agree with the payload possibly being exceeded, you may want to compare what it can haul with a bumper pull and a good WDH. TT may be your best option. There are many nice TT bunkhouses that would fit your needs. And you may save some money over the 5er and use the savings for all the new camping equipment you are going to want/need.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

Oakman really summed it up pretty nicely. While all the numbers may bear you out (may), I just really don't think you'd like the way it tows. I know all the new 1/2 tons are really kicking up their tow ratings, but most people that buy bigger trailers end up buying bigger trucks not long after. If you're going to get a 5th wheel, you really need a 3/4 ton. The 6.2L in the 2011 is proving to be a decent, if not great puller. But it will really take the worry out of the load issues.

Now, all that being said, if you do decide to go with it, I would be very interested in seeing how it does. A good, honest appraisal of how it performs. I'll be staying tuned.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #11

As stated above, you will be exceeding the payload on that truck on paper and you will probably not be comfortable driving it. It is a half ton truck, no matter how you slice it. Will it pull it? yes. Will it be safe? Questionable Will it hold up well? Doubtful Is that a smart choice of tow vehicle knowing you will be regularly towing that trailer? Not even a little bit.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #12

Like others have said, the problem will be with the pin weight and exceeding your GVWR. I have a similar set-up to what your considering, but with an older and lighter 8281SS and with a Power Wagon which is built on a 2500 platform.

2011 Ford F-150 Ecoboost
365 Horsepower @ 5000 RPMs
420 lb/ft torque @ 2500 RPMs
17,100 GCWR
???? GVWR
1960 Cargo

2006 Dodge Power Wagon 5.7 Hemi
345 Horsepower @ 5400 RPMs
375 lb/ft torque @ 4200 RPMs
17,000 GCWR
8510 GVWR
2200 Cargo

2011 8281SS
31'2"
1407 pin weight
7308 dry weight

2006 8281SS
30'
1089 pin weight
64?? dry weight

The EcoBoost has more horsepower and torque and the torque is available at lower RPMs. We have essentially the same GCWR, but the F-150 has a higher towing capacity as it is apparently lighter than a Power Wagon (no surprise). The 2011 8281SS is heavier than the 2006 model, so the total weight (GCW) should about equalize out. The Ecoboost with higher HP & TQ available at lower RPMs should be able to move similar weight more easily than 5.7 Hemi powered Power Wagon.

The difference will be handling, as the 2011 8281SS has a higher pin weight and the F-150 has a lower payload capacity. I am at and over my GVWR, so I don't know how you wouldn't be over by quite a bit. Undoubtedly the rear will squat a lot and you will need airbags, Timbrens or helper springs to level it out, but that does not address the issue of if you will be over your axle rating and/or the capacity of your tires.

I don't think you would be happy with it. I think you would be better off with a travel trailer with a good weight distributing/sway control hitch. Just my .02

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #13

I would wait until you actually get the truck so you can get the real payload number off the tread ACT sticker. I have never seen one on any Ford that is NOT less than the website/brochure rating. Maybe Ford has changed for 2011, as my experience with the payload numbers are from a year ago on 2010 models when I was shopping.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #14

OP just curious - which one do you have and which one is being thought about - for the pair you list the TV seems to have lots of power but limited in payload for a 5er setup JMO of course
Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #15

if you haven't bought the truck yet I would go with a 2500 for the trailer your talking about. I once owned a Long Wheel Base 1/2 and was scared to drive it with a TT that long, went to a 3500, was going to get a fifith wheel at some point, and never felt more comfortable.
Johnny9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #16
J. Parham

I have a 2011 8528BHSS the Flagstaff version of the 8281SS. We tow with a 2500HD 6.0 I am not big into the numbers like others have posted, but I can say my owners manual does specifically list the max pin weight for a 5th wheel. It is much higher than other ratings in the manual. Without going out the my truck to get it I remember it was greater than 3K lbs because I recall thinking to myself that number is greater than 3/4 ton. Anyhow, the 2500 sinks about an 1.5 inches when I hitch up. Other than the weight of the trailer my truck doesn't drive much different when I tow. All that being said I would agree than the 1/2 ton may just not be enough. Just guessing, but 3 maybe 4 inches of squat when you hitch up I think would change the driving characteristics to a possible unsafe point.
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

These are all good points for me to think of. I was thinking I'd probably never have the camper at its max GVWR. I'm not a dry camper, so I'd probably leave everything as empty as possible. I guess if I did it, I'd have to leave the truck bed empty and not overload the camper.

I've always said, I wish I could hook it up and see how it was before buying. Really good input here guys. I'm still thinking I might do it. I don't ever plan on going far. 2 hours at the most. It's all flat here in south Louisiana. It tempts me to take a chance. We are moving into a new home in the next few weeks. Hopefully I have the camper all set up by mid to end of summer and if I end up with this setup, I'll give yall some honest feedback.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #18
Wanna Be Camper

I would seriously look at going lighter in the trailer department of heavier in the truck department if you are set on that trailer. An F250 with the new 6.2 V8 would be your best bet with that trailer if you are looking at a new TV unless you have $$ to throw around just because as a diesel for just hauling a trailer is alot of $$ for a toy given the 10k extra plus the added costs for maint etc. And if it gets real cold they can be a bear sometimes. A diesel is just not meant to be a daily driver unless you put on 50 to 100 miles a day and even then you will probably never get your money back. Although if you are hauling one of the big 5vers well then you just don't have much choice. To be honest if I was to ever get another truck I would seriously look at a used Ecoboost supercrew with the 6 1/2ft box (I got raped once on a new truck and that wll never happen again) as we have a V-Lite that only weighs in at abt 8700 GVWR. IMO that truck is the best of both worlds right now.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #19

TheSask, you wrote;
"I would seriously look at a used Ecoboost supercrew with the 6 1/2ft box (I got raped once on a new truck and that wll never happen again)"

The deals on trucks remain very attractive, as the prices are at mid-1990's levels. New is the way to go until the incentives disappear.

As for the original question, if the poster NEVER goes farther than 2 hours from home, and his truck is used 95% for other uses, I might be considering the truck. If we can believe Ford's numbers, the power should be adequate, and he can always add air bags if the truck squats too much. While the weight might be a little hard on the rear axle, moderate speeds and short distances would limit the damage. A good anti-friction additive would also keep the heat down and save the bearings. he could also load all of his supplies in the rear of the camper, and easily take a hundred or more pounds off the pin.
JMO
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
TheSask, you wrote;
"I would seriously look at a used Ecoboost supercrew with the 6 1/2ft box (I got raped once on a new truck and that wll never happen again)"

The deals on trucks remain very attractive, as the prices are at mid-1990's levels. New is the way to go until the incentives disappear.

As for the original question, if the poster NEVER goes farther than 2 hours from home, and his truck is used 95% for other uses, I might be considering the truck. If we can believe Ford's numbers, the power should be adequate, and he can always add air bags if the truck squats too much. While the weight might be a little hard on the rear axle, moderate speeds and short distances would limit the damage. A good anti-friction additive would also keep the heat down and save the bearings. he could also load all of his supplies in the rear of the camper, and easily take a hundred or more pounds off the pin.
JMO
Crocus, you were reading my mind in the last part of the post. I'd be traveling only a couple of hours, and I'd load the back of the 5er

Tags
5th wheel