Old 06-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
from the Airlift website:

Q. Will adding air springs increase the Weight Rating of my vehicle?

A. No. Adding air springs will not change the Weight Rating (GVWR, GCWR, GAWR) of your vehicle. Our air springs simply increase your suspension’s ability to support heavy loads. We strongly recommend that you never exceed your vehicle’s Weight Ratings. Exceeding your vehicle’s rating is dangerous and will void your Air Lift warranty.
Well first off I'm wasn't talking about Airlift I was talking about the Firestone airbags. Go to Youtube and search it, you'll find a video where they take a Dodge ram 2500 and measure the stock ride height, then they add a tank of water weighing 2500 lbs which I believe is still 1.25 tons, then they add 60 PSI to the bags returning it to the stock ride height. Now I don't know about you but to me that sounds like a device designed to increase payload, does it increase the the GVWR or GCWR on the little sticker on the truck? No but it does increase the capabilities of the vehicle.

As far as the answer from Airlift, sounds pretty much like the standard disclaimer answer, did you really expect something different?

We all know that ratings for all trucks are underestimated, which is why I'm sure there are more people towing and hauling well over the listed limits of their trucks.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanHawaii View Post
Well first off I'm wasn't talking about Airlift I was talking about the Firestone airbags. Go to Youtube and search it, you'll find a video where they take a Dodge ram 2500 and measure the stock ride height, then they add a tank of water weighing 2500 lbs which I believe is still 1.25 tons, then they add 60 PSI to the bags returning it to the stock ride height. Now I don't know about you but to me that sounds like a device designed to increase payload, does it increase the the GVWR or GCWR on the little sticker on the truck? No but it does increase the capabilities of the vehicle.

As far as the answer from Airlift, sounds pretty much like the standard disclaimer answer, did you really expect something different?

We all know that ratings for all trucks are underestimated, which is why I'm sure there are more people towing and hauling well over the listed limits of their trucks.
"Legally" and "structurally" it does not increase payload!
Physically it does.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"

Old 06-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Wow on that statement. The 2500 Dodge trucks I have been looking have those coily things over the rear axle, and the 3500s have those long flat things over the rear axle. they don't appear to be the same thing to this ol' boy.
Not sure what truck you're looking at but if you'd like I can send you pics of my 2500 with those Leefy things over the rear axle.

The difference in the 2500 and the 3500 is 500 lbs. Depending on year the configuration of springs is the only difference some 3500's have less but thicker springs but no matter how its configured its still only a difference of 500 lbs.

We are not talking the difference between a 1500 and 3500 here and even if we were still no "coily things" there either.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
"Legally" and "structurally" it does not increase payload!
Physically it does.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
Did I say legally? The structure of the two trucks is the same, so are you telling me that if I call Dodge and order the springs, just the springs for a 3500 and add them to my truck a 2500, that it will still not be technically a 3500?

How many people here have mods done to their tow vehicles to increase their payload and towing ability? How many of those would be considered legal?

Technically legal or not, the airbags or overload springs make the two trucks able to do the same thing.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanHawaii View Post
Did I say legally? The structure of the two trucks is the same, so are you telling me that if I call Dodge and order the springs, just the springs for a 3500 and add them to my truck a 2500, that it will still not be technically a 3500?

How many people here have mods done to their tow vehicles to increase their payload and towing ability? How many of those would be considered legal?

Technically legal or not, the airbags or overload springs make the two trucks able to do the same thing.
Air bags do not increase your vehicles payload capacity nor do helper springs.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
Old 06-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Air bags do not increase your vehicles payload capacity nor do helper springs. TURBS
Agree, but they sure increase the "Ability"
Old 06-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
So, by your own admission you bought too much trailer for your truck. Now you want to do the same thing again? I dont understand your logic of buying a bately adequate tool for the job at hand. 2500 series trucks can handle a fiver, as long as you keep it under about 10,000 GVWR. Meaning a fifth wheel in the range of 25 feet. Not knowing how big any future trailer purchases might be quit playing the buying game and get the right truck the first, second in your case place.
Don't be quite so dismissive, I'm under my ratings, with a 2500, and I'm pulling a 38', 12,300lb loaded 5er. It's level, pulls and stops beautifully. My trailer GVWR is 15,500, but frankly, I don't know where I'd put the full payload.

Did he screw up the first time? Sure, none of us are perfect. Does he NEED a 3500? Depends on the final weight of his trailer of choice, but the answer is, maybe not.

It's going to take shopping, deciding on what they want in a floorplan, then shopping for a truck to match. If it takes more truck than he wants to pay for, then the trailer will need to be scaled back. If their hearts are set on the bigger trailer, then they'll have to figure out how to get a bigger truck.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #28

2500 towing

I pull my 5er which is 32 feet and around 10000 lbs loaded with my 2014 2500 with 6.4 hemi and I am well pleased with it's performance. Have pulled mountain passes in Colo and the ups and downs of Missouri . I have owned a diesel 2500 and a diesel 3500' but I had a much heavier 5er. I do miss the engine brake but so far I am well pleased. Now à heavy trailer is a different story. Good luck and safe camping!
Old 06-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Wow on that statement. The 2500 Ram trucks I have been looking have those coily things over the rear axle, and the 3500s have those long flat thingys over the rear axle. That doesn't appear to be the same for this ol' boy.

Gentlemen; for the Ram trucks from 2004 and up to 2012; the trucks are very similar with the only difference being the additional of one leaf spring added to each side of the rear axle spring pack. In 2013.5 the 3500 and up were redesigned to a different frame and spring packs for additional load carrying ability. The 2013 2500 were still the same as the older style trucks. In 2014 the 2500 was redesign to have a different spring packs (coil over) and the same frame as 3500 truck has. This too is for additional load carrying ability of the 2500.
This was all explained to the members of Turbo Diesel Register. Com at the Columbus IN. rally held at the Cummins engine plant with the Ram folk’s in attendance there. Which I am a member of TDR and was in attendance there.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Jim, excellent explanation. In my previous post, I neglected to mention that I was looking at 2015 Rams.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
500, fifth wheel, wheel