Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
Answer is yes a 3/4 ton can haul some fifth wheels. I would think there would be more built on the market that could be hauled with the newer 2500s then not.

Thing is not all 2500s are built the same, even it being a dodge there can be a lot of configurations that change. There is a 2500 that has 4000pds of payload and 15500 towing, there is another that looks the same on the outside but has a lot more bells and whistles in it, 4x4 and is rated for 12000pds and 3200pds of payload. Know your numbers and match you trailer purchase to it, not doing that or looking to parts to help, will have an end result of you needing a new truck. You already have felt what not enough truck feels like with your 1500, that feeling from my experience never leaves you, your tolerance level compared to someone else may be different. If you stay in your ratings you should be fine!
Here's an example
"5. Ram 2500
In a surprising result, the Ram 2500 has actually been shown to be able to out-perform its larger brother in conventional towing capacity. The 2500 can haul up to 17,870 pounds in total weight, putting it above the 3500′s 17,000. The 2500, like the 3500, uses a 6.7-liter Cummins turbo-diesel engine to generate 370 horsepower and 800 pound-feet of torque, giving Dodge a formidable pickup in the battle for strength supremacy."

Read more: 10 Tough Trucks Boasting the Top Towing Capacity
GmanHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #42
Living 'Off Grid'

06 Turbo Cummins 2500 Ram. Pulls a 30' Work & Play fully loaded with Harley and Side x Side. Barely know it's back there. WV mountains were no problem. I swear this thing will pull a house!
Snuff Gear is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #43

i had a 2011 ram diesel and pulled a 5er that weighted about 13,000lb. i did not know the 5er was behind me until started to stop.
gunn1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
Answer is yes a 3/4 ton can haul some fifth wheels. I would think there would be more built on the market that could be hauled with the newer 2500s then not.

Thing is not all 2500s are built the same, even it being a dodge there can be a lot of configurations that change. There is a 2500 that has 4000pds of payload and 15500 towing, there is another that looks the same on the outside but has a lot more bells and whistles in it, 4x4 and is rated for 12000pds and 3200pds of payload. Know your numbers and match you trailer purchase to it, not doing that or looking to parts to help, will have an end result of you needing a new truck. You already have felt what not enough truck feels like with your 1500, that feeling from my experience never leaves you, your tolerance level compared to someone else may be different. If you stay in your ratings you should be fine!

This is absolutely true. I have been in the not enough truck for trailer category and it really never does leave you. Also, Having had a ford 250 with only 1500 lbs of payload I can honestly say not all 3/4 tons are built the same. Some have more capability than others. As said above know your ratings and Match the truck to a trailer and you will be fine.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanHawaii View Post
Well first off I'm wasn't talking about Airlift I was talking about the Firestone airbags. Go to Youtube and search it, you'll find a video where they take a Dodge ram 2500 and measure the stock ride height, then they add a tank of water weighing 2500 lbs which I believe is still 1.25 tons, then they add 60 PSI to the bags returning it to the stock ride height. Now I don't know about you but to me that sounds like a device designed to increase payload, does it increase the the GVWR or GCWR on the little sticker on the truck? No but it does increase the capabilities of the vehicle.

As far as the answer from Airlift, sounds pretty much like the standard disclaimer answer, did you really expect something different?

We all know that ratings for all trucks are underestimated, which is why I'm sure there are more people towing and hauling well over the listed limits of their trucks.
A: Doesn't matter the brand. They are all a rubber bag full of air doing the same thing.

B: Of course adding air lifts it. Just like filling your flat tire raised the vehicle.

C: Two ways to increase payload. Either increase GVWR or lighten the truck. The air bags aren't doing either, so payload remains the same.

Yes, it makes the truck more stable, level and handle load better, but the numbers remain the same.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #46

Over load springs?

Quote:
I tow with 2500. only difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton are the overload springs. You can buy a set of airbags online for 354.00 that will do the same thing as overload springs, difference is when you do not have a load or pulling a trailer you can let some air out of the bags for better ride, overload springs will still ride like S when empty.

You can also install a Smarty or Edge tuner that will give you all the power you could possibly want.
Yes to the naked eye is seem with all the truck there is not much difference from a 2500 to a 3500 BUT I do have to disagree with you why you might ask?

1) If this was true the feds would not allow the tow ratings to be different
2) the tow ratings are set with a long list of demanding rules to achieve so a air bag will not make it.
3) the air bags you state by law do not change the amount of weight by law that you can carry or tow, so if you go into some states and dot pulls you into a weight check you will be grounded and have to pay a large fine that will be based on the current mileage of your truck at that time (over weight laws)
4) when you take a truck and size and over weight it makes it unsafe for you your passengers and all others on the highway.
5) In most trucks as the weight goes up the springs changes, the bearings change, the radiator changes, the transmission has changes made to it, the read end may have a lower gear set, the power steering may be a cooler and hundreds of other seeming small items get changed, so please do not just say (oh just get the smaller truck and then add this and that to make it tow something to big, as that is not fair nor safe for all involved.
so I hope this clears up some small points said, for you and others and please be safe and Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Here's an example
"5. Ram 2500
In a surprising result, the Ram 2500 has actually been shown to be able to out-perform its larger brother in conventional towing capacity. The 2500 can haul up to 17,870 pounds in total weight, putting it above the 3500′s 17,000. The 2500, like the 3500, uses a 6.7-liter Cummins turbo-diesel engine to generate 370 horsepower and 800 pound-feet of torque, giving Dodge a formidable pickup in the battle for strength supremacy."

Read more: 10 Tough Trucks Boasting the Top Towing Capacity
2500s are nice trucks! I still love my 2014 3500 DRW with 20000pds towing and 5978pds cargo as configured. Don't need it, nope, smile everytime I use it though.

Back to the OP, not sure on his truck, if he owns the 2500 you listed in your example I would haul mine with it no problem if the payload mached it's hauling ability.
X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #48

We have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel with air bags to help the ride height. I have a Sierra 330rls 38' 9" 5th wheel. UVW weight of 11531 lbs. We just returned from a 2 month trip to the grand canyon without any problems at all. The truck performed beautifully up the mountains and down the mountains. I have not had time yet to figure my average fuel mileage but I will estimate it at around 12mpg. We did have to fight some very heavy winds going out but not coming back. I have no idea of trading trucks at this time. One last thing, the truck did not use any oil and it has over 270,000 miles on the engine with no major work. Good luck on making your decision on what truck you need.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
Yes to the naked eye is seem with all the truck there is not much difference from a 2500 to a 3500 BUT I do have to disagree with you why you might ask?

5) In most trucks as the weight goes up the springs changes, the bearings change, the radiator changes, the transmission has changes made to it, the read end may have a lower gear set, the power steering may be a cooler and hundreds of other seeming small items get changed, so please do not just say (oh just get the smaller truck and then add this and that to make it tow something to big, as that is not fair nor safe for all involved.
so I hope this clears up some small points said, for you and others and please be safe and Happy Camping
See my comments on the Ram 4X4 SRW truck years from 2004 to 2012.

They are totally identical all the way down to the Wheel and Tires used on these trucks. Same engine, same cooling package, same transmission, same front axle, same drive lines, same brakes and pads and the same frame. The only difference is one leaf spring on each side of the rear spring pack. The DRW trucks have all of the same components as the SRW trucks except that the rear axle and bed are modified to accept the dual tires in the rear. The 2WD trucks have different front suspension components but everything else is the same.

In fact if you went and sent an E-mail to AAM about the Ram axles you would get a response from them that the weight rating is 4950 KG (approx. 10,120 LBS) with a heavier duty BRG"s (3X life) installed in them for the Ram trucks. The axle tube is also thicker in them than the same axle sold to other OEMS of trucks.

Jim
Old 06-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #50

[/QUOTE]And it's up to the individual to decide if he or she wants to take on the possible liability from towing over what the the sticker on our trucks rate them at. From this whole thread this the one true statement! Everything else is just an opinion and everybody has one. If the DRW is the hangup Ram does have 3500 SRW. Don't put yourself in a bad situation over a few thousand dollars. You could live to regret it.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #51
Mod free 5er

This whole thread is nothing but speculation. No actual documentation has been presented.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
This whole thread is nothing but speculation. No actual documentation has been presented.

Yes....but it has been recorded in the eternal halls of the Internet and as a result is now factual.
D LBRS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
See my comments on the Ram 4X4 SRW truck years from 2004 to 2012.

They are totally identical all the way down to the Wheel and Tires used on these trucks. Same engine, same cooling package, same transmission, same front axle, same drive lines, same brakes and pads and the same frame. The only difference is one leaf spring on each side of the rear spring pack. The DRW trucks have all of the same components as the SRW trucks except that the rear axle and bed are modified to accept the dual tires in the rear. The 2WD trucks have different front suspension components but everything else is the same.

In fact if you went and sent an E-mail to AAM about the Ram axles you would get a response from them that the weight rating is 4950 KG (approx. 10,120 LBS) with a heavier duty BRG"s (3X life) installed in them for the Ram trucks. The axle tube is also thicker in them than the same axle sold to other OEMS of trucks.

Jim
Good Post and its actually 2003.5-2012
GmanHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Go to Turbo Diesel Register. Com and join. You can than see what I have post is factual about the Ram trucks because the editors do discuss the designs with the Ram folks and they have treated us very will as a customer base.

We were invited to an Ram open house at the Cummins Mid-Engine plant in Columbus IN. for the 2013.5 rollout of the 6.7L engine and new Ram trucks. When was the last time the general public invited to a Government Motors open house.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #55

My 2008 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins,
Has leaf springs. I added helper springs years ago. VERY LITTLE squat towing 2015, 37ft Silverback. Previous Keystone was same size and weight. Been all over US and back to Georgia and presently traveling in Florida. Never any problems or concerns.

The ride when unhitched is STIFFER THAN A WOODPECKERS BEAK 😜.
But, we use our truck almost exclusively as a TV. We do use it at destination areas.

Would I step up if I were to buy a heavier at hitch model? Yes. Ours is plumbed for front closet washer dryer but not one there. We run packed for months at a time.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
My 2008 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins,
Has leaf springs. I added helper springs years ago. VERY LITTLE squat towing 2015, 37ft Silverback. Previous Keystone was same size and weight. Been all over US and back to Georgia and presently traveling in Florida. Never any problems or concerns.

The ride when unhitched is STIFFER THAN A WOODPECKERS BEAK ��.
But, we use our truck almost exclusively as a TV. We do use it at destination areas.

Would I step up if I were to buy a heavier at hitch model? Yes. Ours is plumbed for front closet washer dryer but not one there. We run packed for months at a time.
Here is a tip this was provided to me by another poster on TDR; change your tires to a heavier load carrying ability tire and lower the air pressure.
If you are using the 17" stock size tires and wheels these are only rated for 3195 LBS at 70 PSI. I did not go to the 19 inch tire and wheel that a lot of the TDR folks use in towing but I found these tire and wheels to suit my needs.

I have changed out my tires and wheels to Nitto Dura Grappler tire which is a 285/70R/17 126R and Mickey Thompson Sidebitter II wheels. The tires are aired to 70 PSI which will support a load of 3415 LBS and the wheels are rated for 3640 LBS. I run the front at 50 PSI which has a rating of 2755 LBS which is more than enough to support the front axle load. I than will air the rears down to 45PSI when I am not towing the trailer for extended periods.

The truck ride is a lot better than driving around at 70 PSI in the rear all of the time.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #57

Towing

We pull with our 2010 4X4 2500 Diesel RAM. A FR Rockwood 8281WS 32' Fifth Wheel. My husband has been a DOT supervisor for 34 years and is very careful about his weight and towing. The 2500 is perfect for this one!!
lindalees818 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #58

Towing with 2500

Just got back from our first outing with rig in signature. We always said we would never own a fifth wheel, and here we are. Had I known, we would have bought a 3500. However if you are careful in choosing a fiver it can work. I have now weighed each axle empty and loaded. When loaded I'm close to truck GVWR, but still under. Close to rear trailer axle rating , but still under and may have to raise trailer to get level and even out axle weights. We don't go for more than a couple of weeks and bought the trailer with that in mind.
randygk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
500, fifth wheel, wheel