Old 06-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #51
Mod free 5er

This whole thread is nothing but speculation. No actual documentation has been presented.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
This whole thread is nothing but speculation. No actual documentation has been presented.

Yes....but it has been recorded in the eternal halls of the Internet and as a result is now factual.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
See my comments on the Ram 4X4 SRW truck years from 2004 to 2012.

They are totally identical all the way down to the Wheel and Tires used on these trucks. Same engine, same cooling package, same transmission, same front axle, same drive lines, same brakes and pads and the same frame. The only difference is one leaf spring on each side of the rear spring pack. The DRW trucks have all of the same components as the SRW trucks except that the rear axle and bed are modified to accept the dual tires in the rear. The 2WD trucks have different front suspension components but everything else is the same.

In fact if you went and sent an E-mail to AAM about the Ram axles you would get a response from them that the weight rating is 4950 KG (approx. 10,120 LBS) with a heavier duty BRG"s (3X life) installed in them for the Ram trucks. The axle tube is also thicker in them than the same axle sold to other OEMS of trucks.

Jim
Good Post and its actually 2003.5-2012
Old 06-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Go to Turbo Diesel Register. Com and join. You can than see what I have post is factual about the Ram trucks because the editors do discuss the designs with the Ram folks and they have treated us very will as a customer base.

We were invited to an Ram open house at the Cummins Mid-Engine plant in Columbus IN. for the 2013.5 rollout of the 6.7L engine and new Ram trucks. When was the last time the general public invited to a Government Motors open house.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #55

My 2008 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins,
Has leaf springs. I added helper springs years ago. VERY LITTLE squat towing 2015, 37ft Silverback. Previous Keystone was same size and weight. Been all over US and back to Georgia and presently traveling in Florida. Never any problems or concerns.

The ride when unhitched is STIFFER THAN A WOODPECKERS BEAK 😜.
But, we use our truck almost exclusively as a TV. We do use it at destination areas.

Would I step up if I were to buy a heavier at hitch model? Yes. Ours is plumbed for front closet washer dryer but not one there. We run packed for months at a time.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
My 2008 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins,
Has leaf springs. I added helper springs years ago. VERY LITTLE squat towing 2015, 37ft Silverback. Previous Keystone was same size and weight. Been all over US and back to Georgia and presently traveling in Florida. Never any problems or concerns.

The ride when unhitched is STIFFER THAN A WOODPECKERS BEAK ��.
But, we use our truck almost exclusively as a TV. We do use it at destination areas.

Would I step up if I were to buy a heavier at hitch model? Yes. Ours is plumbed for front closet washer dryer but not one there. We run packed for months at a time.
Here is a tip this was provided to me by another poster on TDR; change your tires to a heavier load carrying ability tire and lower the air pressure.
If you are using the 17" stock size tires and wheels these are only rated for 3195 LBS at 70 PSI. I did not go to the 19 inch tire and wheel that a lot of the TDR folks use in towing but I found these tire and wheels to suit my needs.

I have changed out my tires and wheels to Nitto Dura Grappler tire which is a 285/70R/17 126R and Mickey Thompson Sidebitter II wheels. The tires are aired to 70 PSI which will support a load of 3415 LBS and the wheels are rated for 3640 LBS. I run the front at 50 PSI which has a rating of 2755 LBS which is more than enough to support the front axle load. I than will air the rears down to 45PSI when I am not towing the trailer for extended periods.

The truck ride is a lot better than driving around at 70 PSI in the rear all of the time.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #57

Towing

We pull with our 2010 4X4 2500 Diesel RAM. A FR Rockwood 8281WS 32' Fifth Wheel. My husband has been a DOT supervisor for 34 years and is very careful about his weight and towing. The 2500 is perfect for this one!!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #58

Towing with 2500

Just got back from our first outing with rig in signature. We always said we would never own a fifth wheel, and here we are. Had I known, we would have bought a 3500. However if you are careful in choosing a fiver it can work. I have now weighed each axle empty and loaded. When loaded I'm close to truck GVWR, but still under. Close to rear trailer axle rating , but still under and may have to raise trailer to get level and even out axle weights. We don't go for more than a couple of weeks and bought the trailer with that in mind.

randygk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
500, fifth wheel, wheel