Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2018, 12:01 PM   #1

Back up Camera keeps Freezing in travel.

Maybe I bought the wrong camera? I bought (back in June when we bought the TT) a Furrion FRC12TAPK-BL Wireless RV Back-Up System with Mounting Bracket from Amazon. I guess I was "tail wagging" being so excited to buy all kinds of stuff for our Trailer, that I didn't do enough research.

It works very well backing up. But in travel, it freezes and blacks out only to restart again. I'm NOT that tech-savvy, but I put the RF Filters and also aligned the antennas on both ends correctly to ensure a good signal...to no success.

If that is the case......if I just buy the Observation camera by itself....will it fit in the same pre-wired plug at the bracket and work on the same monitor I have already? Or do I have to buy a whole new system?

Thank you all in advance.
D

PS. someone suggested that I use a WI-FI booster inside the travel trailer and that would help while traveling. Any thoughts on that?
Denny.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #2

Sorry, but yes you did buy the wrong camera. The Furion OBSERVATION camera part number is FOS48-TAPK. You can call Furion direct and they may help you get the -48 camera only. Your current monitor will work and the mounting system is the same.

The Furion is not a Wi-Fi setup. It has its own connection to the monitor and won’t work any other way. Adding a Wi-Fi booster will not do anything for your situation.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:25 PM   #3

I am not sure that camera is an "Observation" camera, meaning it works driving down the road. I think (???) it's just a backup camera. Furrion makes both. The Observation Camera is model FOS48TAPK-BL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #4

SIGH.....yeah...I thought so....about 6 months later. Thank you for your input. I'll call them once they're open. tried them a few minutes ago and they're closed until Weds.

Thanks again.
Denny.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny.L View Post
SIGH.....yeah...I thought so....about 6 months later. Thank you for your input. I'll call them once they're open. tried them a few minutes ago and they're closed until Weds.

Thanks again.
There has been several reports of folks here getting Furion to solve the problem.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
There has been several reports of folks here getting Furion to solve the problem.
I hope furion can help. I had a different issue just outside of warranty - camera will no longer pair - no luck for me.

The best they would do for me is a 15% off a new system. Needless to say I’ve gone to a new vendor now. Tadibrothers. Hopefully I have better luck there.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #7

I would like to know what you think of the Tadibrothers camera. I finally put the Furrion Observation camera up, don't even use it. Just too hard to see anything, and absolutely zero at night with headlights shining. Dang thing looks like those bank cameras after a robbery that say "Do you recognize this blob of stuff on our poor screen?"......

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 12-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I would like to know what you think of the Tadibrothers camera. I finally put the Furrion Observation camera up, don't even use it. Just too hard to see anything, and absolutely zero at night with headlights shining. Dang thing looks like those bank cameras after a robbery that say "Do you recognize this blob of stuff on our poor screen?"......
I’ll be sure to do a review. First trip is not until May but I’m hopeful it will be better than my furion. I only had minor issues with mine like dropping the signal occasionally until it quite working. While under warranty furion said we were on the long end (41 feet) to get good reception and suggested a longer antenna for the camera (not available by furion). Ordered the antenna and then the camera wouldn’t pair. Lol. Of course outside warranty.

The great part About the tadi brothers camera is that they make acompatible mounting plate so you can still use the furion mount which is oem now on virtually all units. Nice to have a choice now instead of furion only.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #9

I have the Furrion observation camera on a 43' 5er with zero problems. Workd both day and night. The screen is a bit small for comfortable backing in a tight spot but overall, I'm happy with it.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Headlights pointed directly into the camera lens are always going to be a problem and I don’t know of any way around it. Even a $5,000 Canon camera lens isn’t going to show much if the headlights are pointed into it.

But, I haven’t seen it to be a major issue. If I see the headlights then obviously it means there is traffic there. Just can’t tell if it’s a car, pickup, suv or tractor-trailer combo.

I’ve helped some to install Furion systems and they are hit or miss. Seen great displays on 40’ ft and other times a major problem trying to get it working on a 30 footer.

One of my upcoming projects is to find a camera that will display its image in 4K resolution to the iPad. The current 1920p system is nice but I’ve seen some 4K displays that are much better...just too expensive right now ($500 and up). Hopefully the prices will drop as more are sold.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny.L View Post
Maybe I bought the wrong camera? I bought (back in June when we bought the TT) a Furrion FRC12TAPK-BL Wireless RV Back-Up System with Mounting Bracket from Amazon. I guess I was "tail wagging" being so excited to buy all kinds of stuff for our Trailer, that I didn't do enough research.

It works very well backing up. But in travel, it freezes and blacks out only to restart again. I'm NOT that tech-savvy, but I put the RF Filters and also aligned the antennas on both ends correctly to ensure a good signal...to no success.

If that is the case......if I just buy the Observation camera by itself....will it fit in the same pre-wired plug at the bracket and work on the same monitor I have already? Or do I have to buy a whole new system?

Thank you all in advance.
D

PS. someone suggested that I use a WI-FI booster inside the travel trailer and that would help while traveling. Any thoughts on that?
I was going to purchase the same as you because my RV was prewired for the Furrion FRC12TAPK-BL. Dealership told me to wire it to the clearance lights so I could use it as an observation camera but opted for the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with bracket. Needed the bracket because the Furrion FRC12TAPK-BL mount on my RV would not work with the FOS48TAPK-BL observation camera.
It works not too bad but even with the boasted longer range (so called 100') it freezes up once in awhile when traveling by power lines and what else might be giving a signal. Other than the small viewing screen I'm fairly happy with it but do some research. There are other options.
I installed a wireless camera on my 26' travel trailer that was designed for Semi trailers and had no issue with it and it came with a 7" screen for viewing at a third of the cost. Installation was not much more than installing the Furrion on my 5th wheel. Just a thought.
Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #12

Our Silverback 29IK came with the Furrion back-up system and it was adequate for that purpose. However, it never worked properly while driving but then it wasn’t designed for that. I swapped it for the FOS48 “observation” system a couple of years ago and it is a far superior system. I have uninterrupted signal reception and reasonable video quality in all conditions. I believe that the camera and monitor for the observation system have better antennas. Swapping the cameras was simple as the mounts are identical. It took me longer to get the ladder and set it up than it did to do the camera swap. Just an FYI, when I bought the observation system on Amazon it was cheaper to purchase the camera with a new mount than it was to buy just the camera. I used the existing mount so now have a spare that I’ll likely never need. Good luck
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #13

My camera setup works. It pairs ok. It displays something. I just can't see the screen, and even in "color" it's barely in color. I am old, getting blind I guess (Doc says cataracts are not quite bad enough yet to take out), and I have 4 other screens to look at. If/when they come out with a truly HD clear screen image, I'm on it like a chicken on a june bug.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #14

Quote:
My camera setup works. It pairs ok. It displays something. I just can't see the screen, and even in "color" it's barely in color. I am old, getting blind I guess (Doc says cataracts are not quite bad enough yet to take out), and I have 4 other screens to look at. If/when they come out with a truly HD clear screen image, I'm on it like a chicken on a june bug.
True hi def is readily available if you put it together yourself. You need a camera with a minimum resolution of 1920p, a Wi-Fi router and a late model iPad. See this thread for more info:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ra-175203.html

Tags
back up camera, travel