Old 12-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #1

Battery Securing in Silverback 33IK

I bought a Silverback 33IK last spring and there was no battery box or anything to secure the battery in the battery compartment. Is there anyone that has made a box or some other contraption to secure their battery?

The dealer ended up screwing a couple of plastic anchors with a strap that went along the length of the battery, but just jammed a piece of 2x4 to stop it from wiggling the other way. I was thinking of making a wooden box with a drain hole to match the hole in the compartment, but would like other ideas.

I really wonder about these RV manufacturers sometimes when they design this stuff. It's not rocket science and they've been at it for years.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #2

My unit came with a non-metallic box that the battery sits in. This was not secured and this was allowed to move around in the battery compartment area. Straps were provided but were not secured in the compartment. I secured the battery box with heavy duty Velcro; the box does not move at all. We have traveled almost 8,000 miles this year and the battery box stayed put.

I believe that Forest River requires the dealer to furnish a new battery upon delivery to the end user. Some end users negotiate between 2-12V batteries and 4-6V batteries that can be placed in the battery compartment, so this is why the straps are not secured to hold the batteries in place.

Now contact your dealer and see if a battery box was to be provided to you for the battery. I would also contact Forest River, Cedar Creek Division and ask them if your unit should have had a battery box to retain the battery. The Cedar Creek people will respond to you and are very helpful with these issues.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #3

I screwed a piece of plastic lumber to the frame and mounted a universal battery box from Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #4

Dealer has short changed you yet again.
Batyery boxes are cheap. They usually come with a nylon strap. Place the box, screw it down making sure the strap is under before screwing it down. Place battery inside, connect wires, install lid and snap the strap in place. Take you maybe 20 minutes to do it.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
I bought a Silverback 33IK last spring and there was no battery box or anything to secure the battery in the battery compartment. Is there anyone that has made a box or some other contraption to secure their battery?

The dealer ended up screwing a couple of plastic anchors with a strap that went along the length of the battery, but just jammed a piece of 2x4 to stop it from wiggling the other way. I was thinking of making a wooden box with a drain hole to match the hole in the compartment, but would like other ideas.

I really wonder about these RV manufacturers sometimes when they design this stuff. It's not rocket science and they've been at it for years.
I used a boat battery box.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #6

Definitely plastic. Should be a box in case of acid overflow or case crack.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #7

Battry box missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post

The battery and the box to secure it "comes from the selling dealer" you need to contact FR and inform that they have a dealer "not doing their contractual due diligence " and have them fix the issue ASAP!

That issue can be a big one, if the battery comes loose and sticks a metal frame piece and grounds it's self (which can happen while traveling very easy) it could explode and make a very big mess for you and your insurance company.

So stop playing around with this issue and please have it fixed in a proper way so all can enjoy the camping experience as it was design to do.
Hope this helps and Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
The battery and the box to secure it "comes from the selling dealer" you need to contact FR and inform that they have a dealer "not doing their contractual due diligence " and have them fix the issue ASAP!

That issue can be a big one, if the battery comes loose and sticks a metal frame piece and grounds it's self (which can happen while traveling very easy) it could explode and make a very big mess for you and your insurance company.

So stop playing around with this issue and please have it fixed in a proper way so all can enjoy the camping experience as it was design to do.

Hope this helps and Happy Camping

Battery box comes from Factory on most FR 5ers. It should have s vent hose also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #9

X2 on the vent hose,
the battery box should have a vent hose that vents to the outside of the unit
so any gasses from the battery do not stay inside the unit.
is there a Battery vent grate on the outside of the unit?

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:43 AM   #10
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Battery box comes from Factory on most FR 5ers. It should have s vent hose also.
Yep, mine came from the factory with a battery box, lid, vent hose and exterior vent. Dealer installed the battery.

My box was bolted down (actually screwed with self-tappers) and the problem with that was the head of the self -tapping bolt was higher than the raised portion of the inside bottom of the box that the battery sits on. Consequently the battery sat on the bolt head and not the bottom of the box. Had I not noticed the battery not sitting well in the box it probably would have rubbed a hole in the bottom of the battery at some point down the road. Changed out the self tapper for a different style and all is well.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery