Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #21

Great discussion. Thank you to everyone for your help. I try to be very diligent when I hook up. I guess I'm just at that age that I need to recheck myself half a dozen times on most things I do. I'm trying to make hitching as fool proof as possible. Some people who know a lot more than I do told me "It isn't a matter of if you accidentally drop the 5th wheel it's a matter of when you drop it". Made me start thinking and that can lead me to questions like this. By the way I did a google search on the Butch's latch and the web site is inactive. As far as a search on the Blue Ox bedsaver I'm not able to find the model for my hitch.

Sent from my KFASWI using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado2500HD View Post
Great discussion. Thank you to everyone for your help. I try to be very diligent when I hook up. I guess I'm just at that age that I need to recheck myself half a dozen times on most things I do. I'm trying to make hitching as fool proof as possible. Some people who know a lot more than I do told me "It isn't a matter of if you accidentally drop the 5th wheel it's a matter of when you drop it". Made me start thinking and that can lead me to questions like this. By the way I did a google search on the Butch's latch and the web site is inactive. As far as a search on the Blue Ox bedsaver I'm not able to find the model for my hitch.

I talked with Butch back in April. His email address is (was) onelessworry@5thwheellatchkit.com He did not make a bed saver for my Demco Hijacker hitch.

John
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado2500HD View Post
I contacted three different local dealers as well as Blue Ox trying to purchase a bedsaver for my Reese Round Tube Slider hitch. I've been told by Blue Ox that they are discontinuing the bedsavers due to lack of sales. Does anyone have an alternative to using the Blue Ox bedsaver?

A "Proper" hitch test to be sure that it is "locked" negates the need for a bedsaver. JMHO
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #24

Is this not the one for the Reese slider?

Blue Ox BedSaver Reese Pro Series 15K Sliders 5th Wheel Hitch - $..

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Due diligence when hitching is the same as using any type of bed saver that isn't static. If you have to lock in a bar, you might as well just look to see that your hitch is locked in place. If you can't tell if your hitch is locked or not, I would look for a new hitch. I knew if my hitch was locked from the driver's seat. It either was or wasn't, no gray area.
Some folks like a little insurance in case the hitch breaks. Of course that can never happen to a mechanical devices.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #26
CDR USN Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Mine front landing gear did that also, but they both came up just enough to let the weight off of them, which is enough for a pull test.
If you are following the Reese hitch instructions, you have checked that the pin box is seated fully on top of the hitch plate, and the jaws are fully closed around the hitch pin, and the bail pin is inserted in the release arm. Before you even do the pull test.
Reese then notes that the pull test is done with the trailer wheels chocked, the trailer brakes manually engaged, and the landing gear down (and supporting the trailer's weight!). Only after the pull test is done are the trailer braked released, the landing gear retracted, and the chocks removed.
A bed saver IMOA is $wasted if you follow the procedure.
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
OK, what is a fifth wheel bed saver??
It's a device that is supposed to "catch" your kingpin when you screw up the hitching and your trailer wasn't really locked in.

I agree with others, these are really just unnecessary costs if you are diligent about ensuring your kingpin is actually locked in. And if you have a hitch like mine (sidewinder) by the time the kingpin moves out of the hitch a few inches to where a bed saver would catch it, you've already hit your tailgate with the back of the hitch if it was up (which it should be if you are moving).

I dropped my rig in the bed of my truck years ago when I was distracted. Ever since then Liz and I both triple check the kingpin is locked by actually looking at the jaws and the lock. I even painted the jaws white so increased visibility.

Most of the bed savers I've seen actually hinder you being able to view the jaws directly.

I've had several friends that installed them, then eventually took them off as they were just a PITA.

And don't get distracted during your hook up routine
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #28

If you had the Andersen Ultimate, that would be one more thing you wouldn't have to worry about.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #29

I have a butch's deal and you have to open the pin to see the jaws...one more thing. You have to remember to open butch's deal first. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
If you had the Andersen Ultimate, that would be one more thing you wouldn't have to worry about.
I'm still not sold on this one. It's just a gooseneck hitch, and I've seen plenty of folks (mainly on the farm) sit their gooseneck hitch on top of the ball and drive off without their trailer.

Seems like the same problem to me

Old 05-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #31

There is so much ignorance out there about Andersen. It's no more a goose neck hitch than a traditional hitch. You can see the hitch ball and coupler from the seat of your truck. You then have to get out and lower your 5er on the ball and push in the locking pin . Can't come off. You can not drive off and leave 5er behind.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #32

Quote:
There is so much ignorance out there about Andersen. It's no more a goose neck hitch than a traditional hitch. You can see the hitch ball and coupler from the seat of your truck. You then have to get out and lower your 5er on the ball and push in the locking pin . Can't come off. You can not drive off and leave 5er behind.
Sure you can... if you are distracted and either start with the pin pushed in, or don't push the pin in.... first good bump and there ya go.

And I'm not ignorant about the hitch.. actually looked at them several times. This fellow summed it up the best:

"Ignoring the need to perfectly line up a ball (unlike the forgiving 5th wheel), and the warranty issues (which Andersen has a Ultimate Out for)... if Andersen was to come out with a pin box with their interface built-in that was approved by trailer manufacturers, I'd be much more inclined to use one. As it is, I'll lift a few more pounds to remove my two-piece, purpose-built 5th wheel hitch that has a higher rating than the Andersen Ultimate.

If it was indeed the perfection that some believe it is, Andersen would be putting a pin box out there with their interface in it (no "pin" in it, just a hole for their ball), and if it's that good manufacturers would be installing them left and right. The 5th Wheel pin would be gone in short order. Why haven't they done that?"
Old 05-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSQR View Post
...A bed saver IMOA is $wasted if you follow the procedure.
A little insurance for a mechanical device. I have one and it is/has never hindered hitching or unhitching. FYI, ALL mechanical devices have be known to fail due to a material defect(s). Also FYI, not all bed damage is due to operator error.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I have a butch's deal and you have to open the pin to see the jaws...one more thing. You have to remember to open butch's deal first. Ask me how I know.
Why would you put the Butch's pin back in after unhitching?
Old 05-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I'm told I need model BXR4101. I did a site search and it looks like they might have it. Keep your fingers crossed.
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #36

Two years ago, I bought a brand new Ram 3500 with a new Reese hitch and a new 5th wheel. After one or two trips, the retaining spring for the jaws failed and left the jaws looking like they were locked. Thankfully, I sensed something was wrong with the locking handle, which didn't go in the last quarter of an inch. Reese dealt with it tongue in cheek. It could have been a disaster! So, I immediately purchased a Blue Ox bedsaver. Within less than a year, I moved to a Class A. It is model BXR4100 which says that it is for 14-16K sliders. I can't tell the difference between that and a BXR4101 except that the 4101 says it is for 4-16K slider (go figure). I bought it for $264. I'm asking $165 but would take any reasonable offer. (SW Ohio). Look for post id: 5591492213 on Dayton.craigslist.org
Old 05-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #37

Quote:
X2
Old 05-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #38

X3

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
X3
Had a good laugh at the post that said basically if they were so great all the manufacturers would be adapting their pins to accept it. It takes 5 min to put the adapter on why would they bother?
clicker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Sure you can... if you are distracted and either start with the pin pushed in, or don't push the pin in.... first good bump and there ya go.

And I'm not ignorant about the hitch.. actually looked at them several times. This fellow summed it up the best:

"Ignoring the need to perfectly line up a ball (unlike the forgiving 5th wheel), and the warranty issues (which Andersen has a Ultimate Out for)... if Andersen was to come out with a pin box with their interface built-in that was approved by trailer manufacturers, I'd be much more inclined to use one. As it is, I'll lift a few more pounds to remove my two-piece, purpose-built 5th wheel hitch that has a higher rating than the Andersen Ultimate.

If it was indeed the perfection that some believe it is, Andersen would be putting a pin box out there with their interface in it (no "pin" in it, just a hole for their ball), and if it's that good manufacturers would be installing them left and right. The 5th Wheel pin would be gone in short order. Why haven't they done that?"
If I may be so bold you should not be distracted when hooking up any 5th wheel hitch. If you are, double check everything, your life and others depend on it being done properly.
clicker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds, fifth wheel, hitch, wheel