Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
bpe

Best bang for bucks?

I'm a combo welder and my wife and I travel from job to job. Apartments is such a drag when moving a lot. We're looking at 5th wheelers and am throughly confused about which to buy. I don't want to spend over $40,000, going used. We will be full time. My wife will be in it mostly being I'll be working shutdowns which are usually 7 days a week and 12 hours a day. Wife takes care of me and I make the money. Sweet deal if you ask me. Forest River appears to be a good unit but they make several models. We'll probably be in this unit for the next 10 years or maybe longer. I'm 53 and in excellent health and don't plan on retiring anytime soon. Got a nice home in NC but no money there in construction. Asking a lot but would like a non bias opinion about quality verses price. Looking for the largest rv that's pratical to pull a lot. Thanks and God bless.
bpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #2

Sounds like you are a first timer getting into the RV world. You will be just like the rest of us, you will learn as you buy from one RV to the next one, your likes and dislikes and quality. Unfortunitly no one once to make a $40,000 + mistake the first time. I suggest a lot of research on as many manufactures as you can and then compare to your favorite one. Remember this, no matter which one you chooses do not expect it to be perfect they all in most cases have issues, some small and some that just makes you want to pull your hair out. They say you get what you pay for. In some cases one can buy from the cheapest manufacture, but buy the high end model sometimes it works. I have a Forest River TT and have been looking at 5th wheels for the near future, as far as me personally there is a different manufacture I like better then Forest river as far as quality at this time. There are 5th wheel owners on this forum that are great people that can help you form there experience and I am sure they will chime in. Good luck with your decision.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I'd recommend going to Ebay Motors and check out the used units for sale. This is a good source for getting the layout of different manufacturers units, including the specs of the unit and the sellers usually post lots of pictures. You get to see quite a few units without traveling to multiple dealerships or having a salesman breathing down your neck. It's a great place to start gathering information.Who knows, maybe something you may like, might be near you. Hopefully any unit you decide on most likely the original owners dealt with any issues, all manufacturers have them. Best of luck with your search.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #4

What are you going to pull it with??

2000 Volvo 660 D12 425 hp 1550 torque 15 speed, Trailer Saver air ride hitch. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS 40'10" triple slide, triple axle 5'er toybox, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, Onan 5500 Marques Platnum. 1998 Polaris 300 Explorer 4X4 quad, 2003 Polaris 700 Sportsman 4X4 quad, 1994 Jeep YJ "TOAD" 3" lift 31" ProComp Mud Terrain tires

https://community.webshots.com/user/Bears319

https://www.picturetrail.com/bears319

Mission Statement : ZZZZzzzzz
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
bpe

Don't have TV yet. Was planning on a 3500 Dodge dually diesel, maybe a 4500.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
CHAINSAW OPERA

Dont shop @ general rv
rip off artists
CHAINSAW OPERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
bpe

I'm in the Houston area currently. Travel all up and down the gulf of Mexico working.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #8

as luck would have it
we have lived in our 2006 36rlts since jun of 05, love it
blew up a microwave and set of batteries but that wasn't forest river's fault,
they did replace the micro and latest was the DVD concertone , got a free new one last month from Steve hicks at fr

i keep looking at a class A to make it easier on my old body getting settled in to a spot.
but so far i haven't found one that trips my trigger or is as convenient to park as our 38 footer

i would look hard for one with a set of 7k axles instead of the usual 6k, if your moving around alot you will acquire lots of junk fast, we load out near the 12k mark on the axles each trip and run a heavy pin of 2000-2700 lbs
pull it with a 350 crew cab dually with 4.30 rear gears,
12-13 towing and thats at 65-70 mph
we are bigger than a bus hooked up, but so far we have had no real issues
we also have the 6500 onan genny, living up in north bama it got used often
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 62.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1238  
Old 01-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #9

Enjoy. Do your research, there are RV consumer guides that rate RVs and offer advice on evaluation prior to RV purchase, try them. Maybe go to a RV show and talk to people. I am going to one in Greensboro next weekend, jan 9=11. Take your time there are many great buys now, some places are selling for large reduction in price. Try RVWholesalers they have good prices and a pretty good reputation. You will get a lot of good input here at FRF. We have a hybrid TT and a regular TT, one Fleetwood and one FR, both work, they arent top end and we knew it, they have the typical fit and finish and some cosmetic issues, but nothing big. Their form, fit , and function worked for us given their lower price. Your decision weighs many factors, cost, quality, needs, layout, frequency of use, etc.

Enjoy your evaluation process. Also, once you decide, try to not second guess and do the what if game, it can really drive you crazy. once you decide and purchase, devote a lot of time to agreement with your dealer about the pre delivery inspection procedure and training they will provide, survey customers if possible so you find a good dealer, get your rv and enjoy.

Enjoy
Old 02-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #10

Welcome to the Rv world.
Whatever kind of trailer you deside to get make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb. It doesn't matter if it is brand new or used, look at everything . Look under neath it open every door and drawer. If it can be open - open it , if it can be moved - move it. Cheak everything and if you find something wrong tell them right then. All this will take some time but it could save you a lot of headaches
2005 F 250 Diesel
1 Great Wife
4 Toy Fox Terriers
camperjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
bpe

We ended up getting a 06 Mobile Suite by DoubleTree, 32TK3. It is 33' 9" if I remember correctly. Weighs 12.333 by factory and we weight 15,600ish loaded. Very satisfied with it and appreciate all the help I got on this site.

Tags
5th wheel