Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #1

Location: Kerrville, Texas in the Winter, & Ruidoso, NM. & camping in the West, the Summers.
Best way to Winterize my Rockwood 5th Wheel....

Hello,
I just bought, day before yesterday, a '05 Rockwood 8285 5th Wheel, and need to 'Winterize it' so I don't have to worry that something will freeze and bust.
I'm outside of Kerrville, in the 'Texas Hill Country' NW of San Antonio, but we're a 1000' feet above San Antonio, and it's already got into the 'teens' here.
I use the RV Anti-Freeze, but maybe I'm missing something, and with my luck, I probably am........
Also, should a person drain the Hot Water Heater reservoir?
What about this, with all tanks dry, my filling the water filter with RV Anti-freeze, pumping it dry into the lines, filling it again, and so on, wouldn't this do it?
Please help!
Thanking you in advance,
McCord (OlePhart11)
OlePhart11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlePhart11 View Post
Hello,
I just bought, day before yesterday, a '05 Rockwood 8285 5th Wheel, and need to 'Winterize it' so I don't have to worry that something will freeze and bust.
I'm outside of Kerrville, in the 'Texas Hill Country' NW of San Antonio, but we're a 1000' feet above San Antonio, and it's already got into the 'teens' here.
I use the RV Anti-Freeze, but maybe I'm missing something, and with my luck, I probably am........
Also, should a person drain the Hot Water Heater reservoir?
What about this, with all tanks dry, my filling the water filter with RV Anti-freeze, pumping it dry into the lines, filling it again, and so on, wouldn't this do it?
Please help!
Thanking you in advance,
McCord (OlePhart11)
Your using far more anti-freeze than you need to. Many, but not all RV's have a winterizing by-pass. (If not you can buy one and installed a kit) It should be located by your water pump. There will be a short run of plactic pipe. If you have it, turn the shut off connected to the end of the short pipe and just stick the short pipe into a jug of anti-freeze. Turn your pump on and than turn each faucet on one at a time until the pink stuff comes out both the hot and cold.

One thing FIRST. Turn off your hot water tank, let it cool. There shold be a by-pass valve somewhere by the hot water tank. They are alway fun to find the first time. Drain the hot water tank. You want to by pass and drain the tank so there is no need to pump the anti-freeze through it. It will take 2-3 gallons of anti-freeze this way. Make sure you let some anti-freeze get into the P-traps. I do it so much that I can winterize our rig in about 20 minutes.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #3

Location: Kerrville, Texas in the Winter, & Ruidoso, NM. & camping in the West, the Summers.
Thanks

Terrific,
Thanks a bunch Jim and Jane.
I'll 'round my wife up' and we'll look for it.
On my old Fleetwood Pioneer, I drained all the tanks, put the caps back in, put in over 7 gallons of RV anti-freeze, and still couldn't pump it through the lines. That stuff isn't expensive until you have to buy that many gallons of it.
har har..... I'm glad I won't have to do that again.
this Rockwood seems much better insulated than my Pioneer, also....
Thanks again.
OlePhart11
OlePhart11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sics-9447.html

Try this

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags