Old 01-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1317 View Post
So my wife and I are getting ready to order a 2016 Vibe 287QBS TT. I noticed that they no longer have the black tank flush port on the trailers. I mentioned this to the dealer and they said they could add it if we wanted. So my question is, is it worth having and would you trust the dealer to add it?
Thanks
Yes the BTF is a Good thing! Now in regards to the Install by Dealers/Joe Blow? I have seen some Very Bad Installs,where the Water connection is Lower than the B Tank! The Factory Installs the Inlet Above the floor and then runs the Pex UP to a Check valve then Down Below the Floor to the BT! By your Toilet location on the Curb side and your BT size being 30 Gal and A Full Belly enclosure might have something to do with the Factory NOT offering the BTF on this unit? Also a Costly option to Add PROPERLY! Now it might be easier to Install it on the Patio Side of your unit but Not very Handy at the Dump Station! Youroo!!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #12

Factory Check valve location! Even the Factory install leaves a LOT to be desired and holes to be filled ect! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2200.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	98098   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2201.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	98099  

Old 01-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
:The Factory Installs the Inlet Above the floor and then runs the Pex UP to a Check valve then Down Below the Floor to the BT! By your Toilet location on the Curb side and your BT size being 30 Gal and A Full Belly enclosure might have something to do with the Factory NOT offering the BTF on this unit? Also a Costly option to Add PROPERLY! Now it might be easier to Install it on the Patio Side of your unit but Not very Handy at the Dump Station! Youroo!!
I believe the factory was installing them up until 2015. They located the inlet on the back of the trailer. I find it strange they would do away with it, unless there was some sort of internal design change.

I'm pretty handy, but this will be our first TT and the idea of cutting or drilling into a brand new unit does not have me excited. I guess its off to see if there are any YouTube videos regarding installation!! lol
Old 01-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #14

Agree with ependydad. Installed on previous trailer. Drill your hole slow to keep shavings and the cut out on the hole saw. I didn't have an enclosed frame. I loosened the brace to get in the center of the tank. Talked to a RV tech later. Said they just put it higher in the tank. Clean out side and allow silicone or glue to dry before filling up the tank. Took less than an hour with neighbor asking all kinds of questions. Had less than $60. Was quoted $250 for the install. Was one of the best things I did to the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #15

I'm going to go against the grain here. I'm not impressed with the factory black tank flush. 3rd trip out with the new trailer the black sensor got stuck. I ran, ran, ran water through it. Came out clean when viewed by the clear elbow. Sensor still stuck. Filled it with some water before next two trips and tried to let it slosh around. Used flush after both those trips to no avail with sensor. Bought $20 tank wand and gave it a go our last trip out before winterizing. Lots of nasty came out and the sensor now works again. If your not careful I can see the hazmat suit comment. I tried to only hold the toilet valve open just enough for the wand.

My response is solely based on what worked for me, and that's the wand. Not as glamorous, but it did the job the flush couldn't. The black tank flush may stay permanently winterized on my trailer.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #16

Mine came with it installed and I like having it, makes it super easy to flush. I noticed the sensor light was sticking so I just needed to give the tank a good 10 min flush then the sensor (for tank = empty, 1/3, 1/2, 3/4, full) issue cleared up.

I'm new to RV'ing and to the forum but here's something else to look into. Btw, no intention of taking the original post sideways but this is worth a look if you have not done so already.

It's The Geo Method for cleaning and keeping black tanks clean. Here's a link but there are others on the forum about it.

Geo Method Results?

One of the sr members posted a link to download it here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...?do=file&id=88

My concern is liquid bleach on rubber parts like the toilet seal so just be careful.

Best,

Craig Bean
2003 Dodge Cummings
2015 Rockwood 8289 WS
Old 01-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #17

I would not buy an RV without a black tank flush. Use it regularly with the clear elbow. I don't disagree that a wand with it's directed higher velocity jet would knock some tough "stuff" loose, but a tank flush will get out a lot more than just dumping. I use it at a campsite with FHU's. I can take my time and not hold up the line at a dump station.

Happy camping. My wife and I have had some type of RV for 43 of the 44 years we have been married.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #18

Our dealer has installed two for us (different trailers)...... Work great no issues, in my opinion since some have had issues with factory installed flushes dealer installed are better. Actually if they do leak later it is an easy fix.......

Have them throw it into the deal its not an expensive up grade.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #19
CDR USN Ret

Black Tank Flush

WAND - What do you do when it's not a straight shot into the tank (as is very common on many 5ers.
"PORT" - connects to a spray nozzle attachment mounted to tank side (Google Tornado Fixture)
"Check Valve" - It's an air gap. Because there's an air gap between the black tank flush port and the tank, it is perfectly fine for the black tank flush port to be below the level of the black tank.
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #20

Fireman,

Check out You Tube, there are a number of really good videos of the effectiveness of a number of tank flush systems. The one that gets the highest praise is the Camco Tornado. It uses a rotating head inside the tank to loosen & flush out the solids that simply repeated dumping won't even budge.

Like most of the other posts, I think this type of flush or Rinse System is well worth the money (under $25 at Walmart) and it should keep your tank sensors working like new.

..... Jim Knoch

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank