Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvinlori View Post
We have owned our 26' TT for about 3 years, used primarily for weekend camping trips. We have recently moved into it full time while awaiting a major move. We have a really bad odor coming from the black tank and have tried all different chemicals, flushed the tank, and it continues to smell everytime we flush. Could this be caused by the outside temps (average 100 degree days)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OK. Now that you have tried everything others have suggested here is my idea. Obviouly you have a bunch of %%&@$ that is not flushing out of your tank and it could be many things. not using biodegradable paper to mention one, sanitary napkins two.

OK whatever it is you want to flush and get rid of it once and for all.
I would hookup a use garden hose with a small high pressure nozzle from outside spiget and bring it into the trailer. You will need two people to do this to turn on and off.
Open the toilet and feed the hose down the hole and into the tank. Usually 3 to 6 ft would do and let the toilet flapper close holding the hose.

With the outside black water valve closed turn on the water hose and you should hear the high pressure water coming out of the nozzle in the tank. It may even start moving around which is what you want. This will pressure wash all of the tanks interior. Depending on your tank size I would wait for at least 3/4 full and go outside and open the valve to dump into the sewer. I would do this as many times as needed or time permits. If you do it enough I'm sure sooner or later the &&$% will flush out. If you run out of time I would make sure you fill the tank 3/4 with fresh water and start again the next day.

Now I used a clear 45 degree clear plastic adapter at the dump valve so I can watch the color of the water. This may help so you have an idea if you are really getting clear water out of still brown or black water.

Hope this helps in your next step in eliminating the nasty smell.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Open the toilet and feed the hose down the hole and into the tank. Usually 3 to 6 ft would do and let the toilet flapper close holding the hose.

Great idea Iggy. Seems like it would work better than the "Wand" I have.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Great idea Iggy. Seems like it would work better than the "Wand" I have.

Yes it does work because about 5 years ago I also have to live in my 5th in one place for a long persiod of time in the hot Arizona summer.
I did this procedure about once a week but like I said had a clear 45 degree clear adapter so I was able to see when the water came out clear.

The hose wand was a waste of time.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali88 View Post
Where do you buy this calgon stuff in Ontario Canada, I've looked around but can't seem to find it
I looked @ WallyMart & Superstore today in Oshawa & found nothing. I'll look @ Meijers & WallyMart when I'm in the US next month.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
I looked @ WallyMart & Superstore today in Oshawa & found nothing. I'll look @ Meijers & WallyMart when I'm in the US next month.
<sigh>

The word is out. DW went to Wal-Mart to buy some for the camper and they were out of stock. Also out of stock at our normal grocery store.

The FBI is going to find some RV'er with seven thousand cases of the stuff in a shipping container in his back yard.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #26
Jan Goldfield

I could not find it at our local Winn Dixie either. I checked on line and you can get it most anywhere. Might be the easiest way.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

We use Pure Power that we buy online from PPL motorhomes. Never have any issues with smell or proper drainage.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #28

Iggy, that sounds like a good thing to try, however, as I said in the other posts, we are on a permanent site, and we arent able to get the trailer to the dump station. I cant imagine how many trips with the portable tank that would take, let alone trying to talk hubby into making that many trips to the dump station, with the tank attached to the rear bumper going thru the campground... I also wondered what are the chances of getting that hose caught up on something putting it down in so far.? Has it ever happened to you? The one problem that I do see with our setup is that the tanks NEVER quite empty out..We have asked at the dealership about this and they keep telling us that this isnt a problem..Others have suggested leaning the trailer a bit, however, that makes all the doors swing closed or they wont latch when you do close them...very frustrating problem...we will keep trying... I do think that the tank not completely emptying is the biggest problem...We do fill it to the top before they pump us out, in hopes that it will someday it will completely clean out... ya, right keep dreaming
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank