Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #1

Black Tank Odor

We have owned our 26' TT for about 3 years, used primarily for weekend camping trips. We have recently moved into it full time while awaiting a major move. We have a really bad odor coming from the black tank and have tried all different chemicals, flushed the tank, and it continues to smell everytime we flush. Could this be caused by the outside temps (average 100 degree days)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Rvinlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #2

We had some issues with ours and we quit using the chemicals and started using one cap of liqued Calgon water softner and one cup of powder detergent and add a gallon or so of water. The first time we put it all in and towed it to the cg and dumped before setting up. We put in more of the same and no issues. Hope it works for you.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When in the camper for long periods, (days), make sure the valves stay closed, and don't dump until right at full. If you leave the valves open the odor from the sewer connection will come up through the tank. The gray plumbing fixtures have traps to prevent this, but not the black. Sorry if you knew this but one can't assume anything when trying to help. Also use extra water when flushing. Assume since you are full time, you have connections, so no need to spare any water.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #4

May want to try a different vent cap like the RV360.

and Welcome to FRF
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #5

I would try adding a few cups of bleach and fill the tank with water then let it sit for a few hours or overnight then dump it. I also fond having the bathroom fan will cause a vacuum and will pull some air from the tank when you flush.
2007Rockwood2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #6

Thank you for all the ideas! I will definetly give them a try & let you know which one works
Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
camping

is the smell in the cabin or outside? if the inside maybe the one way vent has gone bad.
it's an air admittance vent (Mechanical Plumbing Vent) that allows air to be drawn into it - one way -so the water will drain. check under the kitchen sink.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #8

The calgon would definitely be the answer IF you were moving the camper around, as that would allow the contents of the tank with the calgon to slosh around when moving, thereby coating the tank with the slippery calgon water, so nothing sticks to the tank. BUT....if you can't move the camper, the solids will build up in a pile under the toilet, and not get properly mixed in to the tank contents, and therefore probably cause problems. Just my opinion. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #9

Blank Tank Odor

First of all, Thank You to everyone for the great advice... I decided to try the Calgon and Detergent method. First of all, It worked great.. Second of all, NOTE TO SELF... When adding Detergent, do not use a a spray nozzle to fill up tank to knock of anything "stuck" . The campers across the way, came running over knocking on the door to inform me that I had "Bubbles" coming off the top of the trailer...Ooooopps! Thank you again for all the tips! Happy Camping Everyone!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvinlori View Post
We have owned our 26' TT for about 3 years, used primarily for weekend camping trips. We have recently moved into it full time while awaiting a major move. We have a really bad odor coming from the black tank and have tried all different chemicals, flushed the tank, and it continues to smell everytime we flush. Could this be caused by the outside temps (average 100 degree days)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Checkout this link from another location on this forum.
Read the first message from Pete
I have copies the information and printed it out.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nance-785.html
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #11

Tentcamper1, can you please tell me a little more about the air admittance vent,I am still having an issue with smell in our cabin,,it is most definitely, coming from inside,,,I have tried every single solution that all have mentioned and I still have smell with every flush, we installed an electric fan on the roof top, did the calgon, the detergent, and the bleach with no success, we are on a permanent site so being able to sloosh the stuff around is not an option,,,never heard of what you are talking about,so can you please give me more info...thanks we will try anything.......
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
camping

is the smell coming from under the sink or from the toilet.

If coming from the toilet, I would check the toilet seal at the flange (floor)look and see if there is any water, just had this problem, the bath fan would draw the sewer gas out from around the flange and stink up the bathroom. replaced the gasket courtesy of Thetford and all seems to be good. it also possible that the seals around the filler could be bad.
what model toilet do you have?

if under the sink it's probably an air admittance vent (Mechanical Plumbing Vent) that allows air to be drawn into the waste line - one way -so the water will drain. i got 2 at Lowe's, one to fix the problem and one to put in the tool box. part I found at Lowe's
Keeney Mfg. Co. Black Plumbing Vent
Item #: 24372 | Model #: 85539K
let me know if you anymore info.

if its none of the above get a wand and clean the tank.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ank-wand/14497

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #13

the smell is definitely coming from the toilet, everytime we flush we get the odor. we do have the wand that you are talking about, still have no success with the eliminating the odor.
We have a thetford toilet , however, not sure of the model. We are headed back up to camp this weekend, so I will check the model number and also check for leaks,,I would have thought that if there was a leak it would have been evident when cleaning the floor. but I will do a much better inspection this weekend.
I am at wits end trying to get this problem solved, I will look into the item at Lowes that you are suggesting. Did you install it in the bathroom line only? There is obviously a problem here, however, not sure how to fix it.. I wouldnt mind replacing the gasket if there was a leak, however, I dont want to pull the toilet if it isnt the culprit,,thanks for your input...will investigate some more and see what I come up with over the weekend...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #14
camping

the air admittance vent is for the grey vents, I would concentrate on the toilet. some Thetford toilets have an overflow, it might be as simple as filling the bowl with water past the over flow. I would look for cracks in the bowl, seals at the filler tube, anywhere that air could get out. if you can go to a RV supply store check out the toilets so you have a better understanding of what to look for. If you don't have an owners manual go to Thetford's web site to see one. good luck and let me know what you find

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #15

We have the same prob.with our bathroom. It isnt from the fan running when flushing,not having a window open when flushing,not using chem.in black tank,not the roof vent plugged up,not from too much,not enough in black tank before dumping,it smells like---- when just sitting there.Water seal on top of the gate valve also! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #16

Where do you buy this calgon stuff in Ontario Canada, I've looked around but can't seem to find it
Ali88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #17

Buy cheap fabric softner,use instead of Calgon,just as (SLICK) can be purchased anywhere,cheap!! Youroo!!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #18

yep youroo, you nailed it one the head, you have checked all the same things that we have and still have that same an odor...what is next to check for you? I am going crazy trying to get this problem fixed.. The first year with this camper, I dont remember it being this bad, of course, we didnt get it until the fall, dont know if the weather is that big of a factor, but it sure is frustrating isnt it... Are you on a permanent site? Gonna inspect some more this weekend, keep us posted if you have any success, I will do the same...
Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Buy cheap fabric softner,use instead of Calgon,just as (SLICK) can be purchased anywhere,cheap!! Youroo!!
Hmm. Youroo, I hate to "burst your bubble" (I kill me) but water softener is not the same as fabric softener.

However, like they say in the Army, "If it's stupid and it works; It ain't stupid." OohRah!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #20

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Hmm. Youroo, I hate to "burst your bubble" (I kill me) but water softener is not the same as fabric softener.

However, like they say in the Army, "If it's stupid and it works; It ain't stupid." OohRah!
I didnot say they are the (SAME) I said use fab instead of calgon!! Youroo!!

Tags
black tank