Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Brought home new trailer CAN'T UNHOOK

We picked up our trailer today (Coachmen Viking 17BH). Everything went fine until we got to the storage lot. The coupler WILL NOT release from the hitch ball.

I tried all the tricks: moving forward & backward with the trailer chocked, spraying the heck out of it with WD40,jumping on the truck bumper. I cranked the jack until it was literally lifting my truck off the ground but that ball would not let go.

Dealership is 200 km away. I reached the saleman by phone but he was no use. Any suggestions? We'd planned to do a shakedown camping this weekend, but looks like I'll be driving back to the dealer instead. For this they charged me $199 for PDI?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unnamed Reader View Post
We picked up our trailer today (Coachmen Viking 17BH). Everything went fine until we got to the storage lot. The coupler WILL NOT release from the hitch ball.

I tried all the tricks: moving forward & backward with the trailer chocked, spraying the heck out of it with WD40,jumping on the truck bumper. I cranked the jack until it was literally lifting my truck off the ground but that ball would not let go.

Dealership is 200 km away. I reached the saleman by phone but he was no use. Any suggestions? We'd planned to do a shakedown camping this weekend, but looks like I'll be driving back to the dealer instead. For this they charged me $199 for PDI?
There is usually an adjustment nut somewhere on the coupler that lets you adjust the coupler (How To Fix a Poorly Fitted Trailer Coupler in Minutes | Field & Stream).

Best Wishes...
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
DDC

Seem to be getting quite a few of these posts lately. Are you sure you have the correct size ball.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
2012 Solera

My experience is with a boat trailer. As stated by Lefty59, I could loosen that one by unscrewing the latch after opening it.

If no luck, can you simply take the mounting nut off the ball and leave the ball in the hitch - and use it that way until you get a chance to get back to the dealer?
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Site Team

This is somewhat common and has happen to me as well (more than once). It sounds like the ball is sitting too far back in the coupler. When this happens I put the truck in gear with the brake off and without giving it gas. This will moves the truck & hitch forward slightly until I feel a slight jerk.

If you step on the gas it will move more than slightly and the jerk will be loud and strong (usually not necessary).

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
There is usually an adjustment nut somewhere on the coupler that lets you adjust the coupler (How To Fix a Poorly Fitted Trailer Coupler in Minutes | Field & Stream).

Best Wishes...
X2 If all else fails just back the coupler all the way off then work it back off the ball with a screwdriver.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't access that nut. The bottom of the coupler is a welded plate allowing no access to the inner workings.

One of the nice things about the pop up was that the coupler was attached to the frame by a couple of bolts. It could easily be unscrewed and replaced. On this trailer the coupler is welded to the frame.

Lesson learned. In the future I am not leaving the lot until the trailer has been hooked and unhooked!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Carknocker Family

If its a receiver type hitch, simply pull the pin and adjust tongue height till no bind and pull away. Leaving receiver behind. Good luck
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Can you get the coupler latch flipped open all the way? If not lower the Jack back down, rock the truck a little more as the coupler is stuck against the ball. Once you get the coupler open then begin to Jack up and if necessary stand on the hitch.

Silly question, if you have a wdh and/or sway bar are they disconnected? Also if your vehicle has load leveling suspension get it to shut off or that load leveling suspension follows you as you try to Jack the rear up some.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't access that nut. The bottom of the coupler is a welded plate allowing no access to the inner workings.
Man... that's rough. Have you tried applying heat from a portable torch? Shoot up a generous amount of wd-40 then torch the underside of the ball and coupler latch. Once it's good and hot raise up the receiver until your TV starts to lift, then take a crowbar to it.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Also after you get it unhitched grease the top part of your ball using wheel bearing grease if you haven't done this already.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Grease the entire ball and the socket. Most balls have a flat top so greasing the top will not help that much. The load from the torsion bars are on the top of the ball, but the main friction is on the front of the ball from pulling the trailer.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #13

This happens to me all the time. I tap the coupler hitch with a hammer and it releases the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV 2012 Chevrolet Silverado CC 5.3
TT 2007 Puma 30QBSS
Reese 12000 WDH
Reese Anti-sway bar
mwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
Site Team

I haven't had this problem since I avoid hitching up with the hitch ball all the way back in the coupler. I also started greasing the ball too.

I'm hoping the OP comes back and updates us. Inquiring minds what to know....

The day I took delivery of my TT I arrived at the storage place only to find the electric tongue jack dead along with not being able to disconnect. I had the same problem as the OP. My sister-in-law gave it a little gas and got the TT disconnected but also the coupler ended up with a dent. Since then I found putting the truck into Drive (no gas/no break) is enough by itself to move the ball forward to disconnect.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #15
2014 XLR 27HFS

Pull the hitch pin and drive the truck right off it. The hitch will then fall to the ground. Mine did this for quite a while and still sticks. I put gun oil on the ball before hitching up now and that seems to work better than WD40.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:42 PM   #16

This also happens to me occasionally. My solution is to stand on the hitch and jump up and down, this has always broke it lose for me.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #17

Thanks for the suggestions.
It finally came off thanks to someone who doesn't owe $ on it being unafraid to really whack it with the rubber mallet and jump up and down on the hitch. Given that I owe what I consider to be a lot of money on this thing, I was being too gentle.

The coupler lever was lifting up, but not sliding back - rust I guess. Anyway he whacked it and then jumped on the hitch.

Thanks again for all the great advice.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
Site Team

Glad to hear that you got it disconnected. I also had trouble with the hitch ball not disconnecting the day I took delivery. Was not fun dealing with the problem then but now it's less of a big deal since I know how to fix the problem.

Curious minds want to know - Before the person with the rubber mallet came to your rescue did you try any of the suggestions provided here?

Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #19

I did try some of the suggestions. I put it in gear and took my foot off the brake; rocked it back & forth, etc. I even tried removing the hitch from my truck. That didn't work as the weight of the attached trailer held the pin too tight.

In the end it just took someone who wasn't afraid to break something.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
I did try some of the suggestions. I put it in gear and took my foot off the brake; rocked it back & forth, etc. I even tried removing the hitch from my truck. That didn't work as the weight of the attached trailer held the pin too tight.

In the end it just took someone who wasn't afraid to break something.
LOL - I can relate to that!!

Tags
trailer