Old 10-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
We have a 26RS with 4 bunks in the front and only 1 child! We love the floor plan. She has her own space and room to bring a friend. We also like the extra space to store extra clothing, blankets etc.

The bunks are a great feature. I believe ours are rated at 200 lbs. The top ones are a little smaller, but have worked fine for an 11 year old. An adult would find them narrow, I think. Bottom bunks are good for adults.

Get the bunks!

RV4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #22
Just traded a 23RS model for a Micro Lite 23LB. Both have bunks. We have a 5 year old and a 2.5 year old. Last year the bunks were great. Put the little one on the top with a bed railing from Wal Mart that worked great and fit just perfectly in the opening we had. Bunks became a "must have" for us when looking for a trade. The new model has three bunks - one will be used for storage now and probably a friend later! Happy Camping!

Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #23
We have the Rockwood 2902 ss and the extra room is great.
2013 Prime Time 230 FBS
Days camped in 2013: April to November
Days camped in 2014...about 40
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #24
This is my first post here (just registered a few minutes ago). We just bought a Rockwood 2011 2601S a couple of days ago. We'd been searching at RV shows for 3 years. I now have a 5 yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old. My biggest concern with bunks was always - will the kid on the top fall out? How will he get down to pee at night without my help (and I like my sleep! Even the ladders you can get don't relieve my peace of mind with a half asleep child using them)? Will the kid on the top freak out after the first night and refuse to sleep so high up again? Will he love the top bunk but his little bro will fuss and scream to be on top? The 2601S has double bunks, so they can both sleep on the bottom bunks, relatively close to the floor (can get out of bed to pee without Mom!), and we can use the top bunks as extra storage for clothes!! That I love because although my 5 yr old loves to dress himself, he also thinks nothing of leaving the clothes he didn't choose to wear all over the floor. I'm on vacation, too. My Mom duties should be as easy as we can make them.

I also loved about the 2601S that there's enough deep counter space to safely hold a hot coffee maker without fear of my 2 1/2 yr old reaching it (we love our coffee in the morning). There are 2 doors between our sleeping area and the kids' sleeping area = Privacy! Our bed is a Murphy so it's a couch area thru the day and I don't have to worry at night about climbing into a bed with little boy toe sand in the sheets and blankets because they won't be able to access the bed - Yay!

So, I'm saying YES to bunks! And if you can tow it - get the double bunks (aka quad) bunks for peace of mind with little ones).

Momofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #25
Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
My husband and I have been looking at travel trailers for what seems like forever! We have now narrowed it down to a couple floor plans... We have two kids (presently 3 and almost a year old). My question is bunks or no bunks for the kids???? I grew up RV'ing- we didn't have bunks. My cousin and I slept on the couch/bed and my brother on the floor in a sleeping bag. I worked out great; kids will sleep anywhere right? However, I wasn't the responsible adult who had to make the bed every night and fold everything away each morning! Did you have bunks with little kids? Thoughts? The bunks we are looking at are decently sized at 34 X 74...

With smaller kids...I suggest you go with the Bunk House and when you upgrade next time, go with Electric Beds within a Toy Hauler as older kids will have Bikes and other toys to transport.
MegaCabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #26
This has been a great thread.
We currently own a 34' toy hauler with the garage being a separate bedroom, it has two bunks that fold down, the bottom being a RV queen that we upgraded, the top is a single and gets used as a bed or storage. We do like the privacy of the two separate bedrooms and the ability to haul what ever we want when the beds are up. After getting very discussed with my current unit (not because of the layout) we started looking. I fell in love with the Wind Jammer 3065, love the large bedroom, bathroom with corner shower is twice the size, and that amazing living area.
I thought the decision was made but after this thread you all have me thinking I should stay with a toy hauler.
I'd rather seek forgiveness than ask permission

Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0 PSD
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD QC King Ranch
2006 Titanium 36E41MPRV Loaded
SoundMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #27
Wow, lots of input on this subject.......and all good points of view. But, first you have to consider your tow rig (you didn't mention what you have)......what will it handle. Now, with that info., start looking within your weight range. Different manufacturers have different ranges due to their construction and layout (usually involving slides, the more slides, the heavier the unit). Although there is only the 2 of us, we have a small grandchild who will be wanting to go camping soon. We just upgraded to a Lacrosse 303 RKS. Even though it's not a bunk model, we were in out of probably 25 or 30 models at dealers and camping shows and decided that the majority of the time it would only be us. If your budget and tow rig can handle it, probably a "Bunk house or separate bunk room" (with TV hook up of course) would be ideal. On those stormy, rainy or chilly days (and they probably won't want to sleep in a tent on those days/nights), the kids would have their own separate room to play in or watch TV or play video games while you can watch your own movie, craft or check the computer in the comfort of the living area. Short story......we were in a "bunk room" model at a show recently and checked out the unit. When we went to the rear and opened the bunk room door, we found 4 people in there sitting on the lower bunks which convert to couches, discussing the unit and we didn't even know they were there until we walked in!!

Well, hope that wasn't too long, just my 2 cents worth. With the right decision, you won't have to upgrade until the kids are grown and gone.

P.S. we have even seen units with 2 bathrooms!! Now that would be great with a gaggle of kids along.!!!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #28
We have 5, soon to be 6 kids (if all continues to go well). We too looked for months and months before finally deciding on the Flagstaff V-lite 30WTBS. Sleeps 10. Four in the bunks, two on the couch, 2 on the king u-shaped dinette and 2 in the queen size walk around bed. Now it is heavy so you have to have the TV for it. Good luck! Oh we are on the Eastern Shore.
jdandrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #29
When my daughter was small we had a starcraft popup with two beds that stayed out all the time, once upon arrival . (It worked) That worked and for the most part we just used two beds. Then we had a starcraft Hybrid. It had three beds that stayed out and we're made all the time, once upon arrival. (I loved this camper) It worked! Of course extra beds we're the table and sofa for pop up and the hybrid. Now I have a Keystone Premier, 28RL. Living room on one end & 1 bedroom with just 1 bed on the other. When Its just me and my husband, its great. We really like the camper. But we like to take our family, even if we don't have children at home anymore. We now have a grandson plus my nieces like to go sometimes. I hate to make the sofa bed and the table bed everynight. I didn't mind it every now and then in the Popup or hybrid, but... now I don't have any choice. I think everyone should have more than just one bed up all the time, no matter if it is 4 smallbunks, 2 bunks on the side, double full bunks, another full bed, or whatever! It would just make it alot easier to me. Maybe its because I came out of camping with pop ups and hybrids, But...To me... when I think of camping, the first thing I think of is everyone should have a bed.
On the road again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #30
If I where you I would defenitely get bunks. It is much easier to deal with when morning rolls around and now you have to get the kids out of bed because you are using the dinette as the bed and you now need to change it back to the table so you can have breakfast. Pain in the @**. This is just my opinion though.

shabby is offline   Reply With Quote