Old 09-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #1

Buying a used camper

I currently have New TT I bought in November, I have never bought used before. Now I have a step daughter that needs something to live in for 1 to 2 years until she can get on her feet. She left an abusing boyfriend. Has 4 little boys. We have been looking at bunk houses. She wants us to pay for it and she will make payments to us till it is paid off. She would like to stay below $8000.00.

We have been looking but everything we look at goes something like this. Pictures look good. We look up NADA. They are asking 1000 to 2000 above NADA. we think ok, we will go look at it and maybe they will come down to NADA and we will get it. We look at it and the tires are dry rotten. The caulking on the roof is cracking. Some have rotten floors. AC Doesn’t work. They are not even worth $2000.00 below NADA. The last one we looked at they wanted $13000. They admitted the roof vent had been torn off and let sit in the weather almost a year and they had replaced the roof vent and redone the rotted out floor. The microwave didn’t work and they didn’t know why. Some of the cabinet doors were missing. This one was a 2017 still had problems and they insist on 1000 over NADA.

I don’t know what is wrong with people that buy a camper use it 2 or 3 times. Do no maintenance at all. Let it sit in the yard and bake in the sun for 10 years and think they should get 1000 over NADA just because they never used it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a better way to go about this? Where to buy cheap used ? Should I just buy a cheap new camper with better luck of selling it later to get most of my money back after she gets on her feet. Maybe know someone around central Texas that is selling a well taken care of TT at a reasonable price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Be safe and Happy Camping.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #2

Wish I could help you out. I'm selling our 2018 Cherokee, but I'm in Nebraska and way over your price zone. Mine is listed 5000 under NADA cause right now that's what the market price is running at. Keeping looking hard...it's out there and you will find it. Best wishes in your search.

TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

Well you did help really. That has given me an idea. In a few days I have to pull a trailer full of my daughters stuff up to Nashville TN. If there is anyone there or along the way wanting to sell a good TT in that price range then let me know. I could pull it home on the return trip.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

Try Rvtrader.com that's how I purchased my used and new camper. You can enter your parameters being price, length... etc...
Jhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
Kasual Kamper

Have you considered leasing a park model or double-wide in a trailer park? You won't have equity but at least the rent might be reasonable.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #6

May I ask where the trailer will be parked? If on your own land will you be able to get water and electric to it and waste away from it? If looking to rent space in a trailer park that provides electric, water and sewage, often the park operator will control what trailers are allowed into the park, which may keep you out of some of them if the trailer is too old or junked up.

Although NADA is a guide, it is not the "rule" book. People can ask what they want... and a buyer can spend what they want. Different areas of the country will also factor into the price.

Good Luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
Jim

Camper for sale

I have a 2005 cardinal in pretty good shape, new tires, new roof. Where are you located? I am in Georgia
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I have a 2005 cardinal in pretty good shape, new tires, new roof. Where are you located? I am in Georgia
He's in Pflugerville, TX which is close to Austin.

Mudbug, It's really hard to find a good used trailer.
There is a consignment rv business in New Braunsfels, TX PPL Motorhomes that might have something available. They sell everything from trailers to motorhomes. Some are consignment and some are ones owned by the business. We looked at the ones in Houston and there were some gems among the icky ones.
You might have some luck visiting private campgrounds in the area she's considering. Frequently, you'll see 'for sale' signs on trailers in the park. We've run into people who had the trailers delivered to the park because they don't have the vehicle to tow it and now they want to move and don't want to move the trailer.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #9

I’d check your local zoning rules too. That would count as a second residence and may not be allowed.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #10

Update... I had someone in here send me a PM that looked very promising, I was going to check it out and hopefully buy. Before I could view the camper and buy it our situation changed. She decided to go back home. So I no longer need a camper. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
Update... I had someone in here send me a PM that looked very promising, I was going to check it out and hopefully buy. Before I could view the camper and buy it our situation changed. She decided to go back home. So I no longer need a camper. Thanks for the help.
Thanks for the update...... Hopefully the abusive boyfriend situation has changed ....

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper