Old 11-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Camping in freezing weather

Quick question, what kind of precautions need to be taken if you are camping (using CG water supply) and an overnight freeze is expected? My tanks are heated but as far as the water hose from the CG spigot to my city water connection, what needs to be done? Fill fresh tank and disconnect CG water?
Never done it before, looking for some experienced input on this.

RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB
I have mine wrapped with SELF REGULATING heat tape. then covered in insulation. Do not use the one with the button sensor on it. they can burn up and if you overlap them they can burn to.

look at pictures here: RV Skirting, Living in an RV in the Winter, Winter RV Camping-Living, Cold Weather Camping | RVs – RV Forum – RV Full Time

or just fill the fresh if its heated. prob safer

One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
WOW! That is some serious cold weather prep on the hoses! I dont believe I will need quite that much freeze protection.... It is only supposed to get to 29 here sometime in the morning. The rest of the day it will be in upper 30's
Old 11-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
If you do not insulate your hose even at 29 it can freeze. There is nothing worst then waking up to a hose that is split because you did not plan on it freezing. Your other option is to disconted the hose at night and drain the water out of it. We where at 10 or -11c the last two nights. I did not have a water problem. Have heating cable on hose and wrapped this insulation. My holding tanks are not heated but I put antifreeze in to tanks when it is that cold.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Yeah, I am just gonna fill fresh water tank and disconnect water hose to be safe.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
We're in the desert southwest (Southern NV) and it has been in the mid-20's for the past few nights and will be for the next few nights. It has been getting up in the forties and fifties during the day.

Most in our park are not doing a thing. Some have left a trickle of water running during the night (gray tank valve open ...don't do what one guy did and left the valve closed and had water overflowing his shower in the morning ). Unless you have a hard freeze for a substantial number of hours, usually, the hose will not freeze solid enough to expand and split when thawing. Where we are, it only remains below freezing for a few hours ...those hours just before the sun rises. That doesn't usually give the hose enough time to freeze solid to where it will split.

That said, we will disconnect the hose and use the tank water and pump tonight as it is predicted to be around 22 degrees f. to be on the safe side as you're doing.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
easy way to do it If your Hooked to City Water, Leave a faucet drip, you dont need much just enought to keep the water in the Hose Moving,, This will keep your hose from freezing, I do it alot camping in the Winter up here

Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote