Old 07-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvron View Post
Ok, now that you've blown my Tundra idea out of the water, would anyone care to tell me WHY a 5th wheel is better than a trailer - other than it looks cooler (according to my son) and I assume it's easier to handle on the road - or is sway still an issue?
Hmm, I didn't know that a 5th wheel was cooler looking.....gotta look into that.

A 5th wheeler will give the same room with less total length than the same sized travel trailer......instead of staring a couple of feet behind the bumper, 4' or so is over the pickup bed. That means a little better maneuvering around sharp corners.

There should be less sway problems with the 5th wheel, since the pin is situated just the front of the rear axle....where the weight in a pickup should be. The weight of a TT is hanging behind the wheels, but a WDH will put the weight lost back on the front wheels.....but you still need a sway control device.

For us, a travel trailer was the choice. We have an F150, and fully loaded for camping, including the "adjusted" tongue weight, passengers, generator, firewood, canoe, bicycles, and other camping goodies we are close to our GVWR. Adding the pin weight of a 5th wheeler would have put me way over the GVWR.

Another thing for us, is where you do carry a canoe if you have a 5th wheeler?? Now it rides over the bed, but that ain't possible with a 5th wheeler. Plus our bicycles ride over the bed, and I would have had to find another convenient place to put them with a 5th wheeler.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Hmm, I didn't know that a 5th wheel was cooler looking.....gotta look into that.

A 5th wheeler will give the same room with less total length than the same sized travel trailer......instead of staring a couple of feet behind the bumper, 4' or so is over the pickup bed. That means a little better maneuvering around sharp corners.

There should be less sway problems with the 5th wheel, since the pin is situated just the front of the rear axle....where the weight in a pickup should be. The weight of a TT is hanging behind the wheels, but a WDH will put the weight lost back on the front wheels.....but you still need a sway control device.

For us, a travel trailer was the choice. We have an F150, and fully loaded for camping, including the "adjusted" tongue weight, passengers, generator, firewood, canoe, bicycles, and other camping goodies we are close to our GVWR. Adding the pin weight of a 5th wheeler would have put me way over the GVWR.

Another thing for us, is where you do carry a canoe if you have a 5th wheeler?? Now it rides over the bed, but that ain't possible with a 5th wheeler. Plus our bicycles ride over the bed, and I would have had to find another convenient place to put them with a 5th wheeler.

Oh yea, these are valid "cons" in the 5th wheel camp. I have to move bikes and carrier around every trip. Front of the truck on the road; back of the camper in camp. Bah. Got to be a better way.

Oh and forget the canoe or kayak. A real bummer.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #13

If your'e that partial to your "toy"ota tundra, then get a travel trailer. they will rest on the hitch a little softer,and are cheaper, with less weight per foot. They are a little bit harder to pull, longer, and can sway easier, but that can be fixed with the right hitch. There's a reason you don't see tundras pulling 5ers. Leave that to the real trucks! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #14

Yes it can if you do the math and find the right trailer.
Mine does it very well.

I have been doing it for 2 years now and the truck performs exceptionally well.

Your choices will be very limited.
Ignore the salepoeple, they lie.
Ignore dry weights as they mean nothing.
I used the GVWR of the trailer to determine the pin weight.
My actual pin weight is 16% of the GVWR. That is very light.

If you have the option to upgrade to a 3/4 ton your choices will increase dramatically.

Good luck.

Bill
Air Lift 5000
Prodigy Brake Controller

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
If your'e that partial to your "toy"ota tundra, then get a travel trailer. they will rest on the hitch a little softer,and are cheaper, with less weight per foot. They are a little bit harder to pull, longer, and can sway easier, but that can be fixed with the right hitch. There's a reason you don't see tundras pulling 5ers. Leave that to the real trucks! Randy
Really?
I see a lot of Tundra's pulling fivers.
With the new construction techniques and light weight materials becoming more readily avalable you are going to see more and more light weight fivers on the market.
You better get used to it because the "toy"otas, as you call them, are here to stay.

Bill
Air Lift 5000
Prodigy Brake Controller

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecodys View Post
If you have the option to upgrade to a 3/4 ton your choices will increase dramatically.

Good luck.

Bill

Be careful with this statement in itself. As soon as you hit 3/4 ton and diesel you think WOOOHOOO I can tow a spaceship... wrong.... you will have the same issues with a 3/4 ton that you have with your truck. The units you will want to look at are still to heavy. Well based on payload and the weight police anyways. The payload is a @#%#@

I have a 3/4 dodge mega cummins 4x4. Door says 9klbs gvwr. Truck weighs 7960 loaded. This means, based on stickers, AT most I should put another 1040 lbs in the truck. 1k lb hitch is hard to find with any real length and options.

If you play the axle/tire rating game, my rear axle is rated for 6010 lbs, my tires are rated for more, with 3240 on the rear axle at the scale I should be able to load to 2770lbs. now tell me where that makes sense.

Point being, 3/4 ton does not solve all of the issues. I would venture to say that 50% of 5th wheels I see going down the road are over if not way over their gvwr and possibly gcvwr
Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #17

Sorry I'm late, I just came across this tread. I've been towing my new 2010Rockwood 8265s with my 2005 Nissan Titan and it tows just fine. Last month we towed it from here in Florida up to Boone, N.C. at 65 mph with plenty of power and no swaying what so ever. It did better than I expected when we got into the mountains. Had to shift into lower gears to make it up some very steap inclines but it worked! I've seen a lot of Tundra's pulling 5rs, but no Titains.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #18

We don't go very far but we tow our Wildcat 24.5RL with a 2001 Ford F-150. It isn't as bad as you think, we have done a few upgrades so for now we will stay with it.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Again. Go here and plug in the numbers,

Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #20

Just watch which model you buy. The one we got is much heavier on the pin than other models of the same length. Ours is about 1400 pounds while others are just over 1000.
You can tow just about anything you want with a 1/2 ton, but the question is will it be safe? There is no way I would pull ours with one.

Tags
5th wheel, tundra