Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

Can I drain my tanks into my sewer clean out at home?

I have a sewer clean out pipe that is y'd off my sewer line in my backyard.

Can I drain my tanks into that, if we boondock with no dump facilities?
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
I have a sewer clean out pipe that is y'd off my sewer line in my backyard.

Can I drain my tanks into that, if we boondock with no dump facilities?
Sure you can, but I would check with your town first. Unless it's a septic system. I know in my Town if you get caught dumping into the Town sewer it's a big fine...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Yes you can do that. A lot of people use the cleanout to dump in situations where they've boondocked with no dumping facilities.

If you're on a public sewer you may want to check with utility to make sure they're ok with it.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Yes you can do that. A lot of people use the cleanout to dump in situations where they've boondocked with no dumping facilities.

If you're on a public sewer you may want to check with utility to make sure they're ok with it.
Cool, thanks. I'll ask, it's a public sewer.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
padcarroll

Many places do not meter the amount of sewage that you dispose of. Instead they bill you by a percentage of the amount of your water usage. If this is the case the locals will probably tell you you can't dump into the sewer. If the cleanout is in the backyard, who would know?

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcarroll View Post
Many places do not meter the amount of sewage that you dispose of. Instead they bill you by a percentage of the amount of your water usage. If this is the case the locals will probably tell you you can't dump into the sewer. If the cleanout is in the backyard, who would know?
Agree. I'd rely on forgiveness before being told no.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
padcarroll

Besides, if you were sitting (pun intended) at home, wouldn't you be useing the sewer line anyway?

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #8

Just use it, don't ask for permission. It's not like your bringing someone else's waste water home and dumping it into the sewer. If you were home instead of camping you would be using the sewer system and truth be known you probably dump more when you are camping than not dump. It seems to me the city owes you

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

Most sewer is metered by the amount of water you use but if its your sewer on your prop. it is yours to use. You dont get a discount if you water your garden, lawn or flowers unless you have a seperate sprickler meter.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Just use it, don't ask for permission. It's not like your bringing someone else's waste water home and dumping it into the sewer. If you were home instead of camping you would be using the sewer system and truth be known you probably dump more when you are camping than not dump. It seems to me the city owes you
If your sewer bill is based on your water usage, then you have not paid for something you did not use and you may get a no. If that is the case, tell them you filled your water tank at home so the usage was metered.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcarroll View Post
Besides, if you were sitting (pun intended) at home, wouldn't you be useing the sewer line anyway?
The answer is yes, but when you flush the toilet, the water meter runs. The sewer charges are based on water usage and is much more than the water charges itself. If dumping 30-40 gallons of waste, that's not documented on the water meter. It would be classified as theft of services. To prove it, the untility would have to have proof as to the extent. That said, I would ask for forgiveness rather than permission-unless you have a really nasty neighbor.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:11 PM   #12

I do it, never had a problem.

I live in a town where the water is metered not the sewer. As a matter of fact I had a town employee at the house yesterday while I was emptying and she said nothing. As has been mentioened earlier, I would check with the city first if yuo are still questioniong your decision.
Green car 2010 Prius / Fun car 2004 Mercedes SLK 320
AZAFVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #13

If you have an aeration septic system

Just a thought for those that do not have a traditional "Sewer".

If you have an aeration septic system you may want to check the chemicals that you put into your rv tanks as they might change or kill the chemical balance of the tank at home.

Safe travels...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #14

Would the packages of chemicals or enzymes we add to the toilet water impact the city sewer system? That would be my only concern at all. It may be no issue, but as I was reading this, it came to mind.

Andie Piehl
2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS
Fort Worth,TX
apiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
The answer is yes, but when you flush the toilet, the water meter runs. The sewer charges are based on water usage and is much more than the water charges itself. If dumping 30-40 gallons of waste, that's not documented on the water meter. It would be classified as theft of services. To prove it, the untility would have to have proof as to the extent. That said, I would ask for forgiveness rather than permission-unless you have a really nasty neighbor.
Well I assume when the OP dumps his tanks that he will then back flush it which will make the water meter run and will probably use as much water flushing the tanks as flushing the toilet. No theft.

Plus when you water your yard or fill your pool or drink a glass of water or wash your RV/TV/car it does not go down the sewer but you still get a sewer charge for it. You are not stealing anything.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by apiehl View Post
Would the packages of chemicals or enzymes we add to the toilet water impact the city sewer system? That would be my only concern at all. It may be no issue, but as I was reading this, it came to mind.

Andie Piehl
2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS
Fort Worth,TX
I would not think so. If it was a problem then you could not dump at a campground. Most of them are hooked to the city sewer system.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

I do.

The Water and sewer folks have driven by several times while I had my 3 inch PVC strung across the yard. They never once stopped.

Heck, it's my water and sewage and I already pay for both.

I don't get a sewer refund when I water my yard ...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #18

Be sure to use the correct clean-out. My lines have two, one toward the house and one toward the street (sewer line). You don't want to use the one toward your house.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Answer seems pretty easy. Do it at dark, I doubt many sewage inspectors room the dark streets looking for people using a RV waste hose at night!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Well I assume when the OP dumps his tanks that he will then back flush it which will make the water meter run and will probably use as much water flushing the tanks as flushing the toilet. No theft.

Plus when you water your yard or fill your pool or drink a glass of water or wash your RV/TV/car it does not go down the sewer but you still get a sewer charge for it. You are not stealing anything.
A person walks into a convenience store, picks up two candy bars, puts one in their pocket and pays for one. It is still theft. Emptying the tanks and then flushing them with paid for water/sewer is the same thing. The key is proving it or if it is worth proving.

What a person does with metered water/sewer uses is the residents option. People filling a pool will generally get a permit exempting the pool fill from sewer charges.

Some utilities are pretty stringent on policies, some are more lax. The community we lived in was extremely stringent. There were several incidents where a resident received a bill in the thousands of dollars for a month's usage (not exaggerating). They didn't fill a pool nor change their normal use-sometimes only a widow/widower living in the house. There was historical data showing typical household usage up to that billing. There was no explanation for the excessive use on the meter and the utility claimed the meter was working properly. Any reasonable person would side with the resident. Yet, the utility demanded full payment-no matter the cause. The most common cause was a corroded copper water line that started to leak under the pad. This is one of the reasons we recently sold a home that had pending sewer. We are on a well with better quality water than they could ever provide and a septic system. The septic is pumped and inspected every 5 years-cost $125 plus a monthly electric bill.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank