Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #1

Can't get stable, trailer moves when we move

Greetings,

We have a permanent site and just had our new 2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315SS delivered. The gentleman who delivered the trailer basically said his job was to deliver not to setup. We had no idea what we were doing but basically lowered the electric stablizers and chocked the wheels.

We put down the front and rear stablizers with a piece of wood underneath. We put chocks in front and behind all the tires. The trailer is perfectly level.

All should be great, right? The problem is when I walk I can feel movement. When I'm sitting and someone else walks I can feel movement. When someone comes in or out, I feel alot of movement. This just doesn't seem right. My old trailer was 30' and it was completely stable, never felt any movement.

We asked the dealer and he said to make sure the tires have chocks on both sides, we did this but when someone walks in the trailer and we look at the tires you can still see slight movement (hence the feeling inside I guess). Our dealer also suggested we could add more jacks to the middle near the tires. We looked under the trailer and we cannot figure out where to put them as we cannot see the frame.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on what we should do?

Thank you!! -- tory
Tory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #2

I use the X Chocks between the tires. They help some. There are posts here from members that have made their own. Make sure your stabilizers are down firm, I have seen campers lower them till they just touch the ground. There are stablizer jacks that can be added. I think they go under the frame for/aft of the wheels, other members that know for sure please chime in. Hope this helps.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #3

I have the same issue with my 8313ss. I have tire locks on both sides, wheels chocked on both sides, stabilizers firmly planted. After reading many posts here, I have determined that the issue is the type of stabilizer. I have the extended arm type stabilizer, as opposed to the scissor type. Many say the scissor type add a lot of stability. I plan to make the change when I get a chance.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #4

If you are going to leave it parked... put it on blocks so that the tires do not touch the ground. As long as the tires touch there will be movement because of the axles and or springs.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #5

Ditto on the X- CHOCKS. They will help your situation more than any others I have found yet. My unit has 2 rocking chairs at the back wall, and my 2 boys LOVE to rock in them. Unfortunately, the camper loved to rock, as well! Tried wheel chocks, wood under the so-called jacks, and nothing really helped. But the X-CHOCK fits between the tandem wheels, locking them together, and thereby stopping most any movement. Just one helps a lot, but 2 are really nice. About 35.00 at Camping World. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #6

X-chocks and sissor jacks are the way to go. I had the same problem and this fixed it.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #7

Thanks for the quick responses! I'll definitely try the x-chocks.
Tory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #8

If we are going to be camped for a while, we put a scissor jack between the wheels on each side, under the frame, of the camper and raise the camper just enough to take the weight off the axles/springs (tires still touching ground). We also put the x-chocks between the wheels to keep wheels from moving (scissor jacks are far enough under the camper they don't interfer with the x-chocks), and crank down the stablizers until they are very firm (they aren't strong enough to whole weight of camper) and then we have very little movement.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #9

As long as the trailer is being supported by a leaf spring suspension, you'll have movement. Using X chocks helps, but unless you stop the frame from moving on the springs, you'll get movement. A good way to do that is to install stabilizer bars like this:
JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizer Bar on Sale
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #10
Plug It Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
Thanks for the quick responses! I'll definitely try the x-chocks.
If that doesn't, work I agree that a permanently mounted stabilizer system is the way to go. Plug It Right stabilizers, which we use, are another option. Diana
Dutch & Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #11

I found that sissor jack between the tires reduced the movement a lot. Don't jack the trailer up, just snug the jack up tight to the frame between the tires, reduces the bounce that comes from the suspension system.
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
Cyber Phrenologist

They sell a little jack thingy that goes under your steps to keep the trailer from rocking on entry and exit. Last time out I just stacked up "lego levelers" and some wood blocks under there. Trailer still wobbles a little but not from walking on the steps anymore.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #13

I added two more stabilizer units, one in front and one behind the axles. Then I used an impact gun to lower all stabilizers. The trailer does not move since using the electric impact gun, I have a 2007 sig ultra lite trl.
rockwoodtrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #14

I agree with jaxfl, and I live there, as well! Put it on concrete blocks. If it's truly a permanent site, just get an automotive jack, and set the blocks under the frame in rows on each side of the frame, like a mobile home is set up. Movement should then be eliminated. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #15
Knower of Some Things

Those power stabilizer jacks (basically glorified T-jacks), don't work very well. If it isn't going to move for a loooooooooooooooooooong time, get it up on blocks. Make sure it is uniformly supported, though. Don't support it just from the front & back. Make sure to also support it in the middle. Also, make sure you don't put too much stress on those power jacks. They'll easily bend.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #16

Check out the Easy Chock Wheel Locks on ebay under RV chocks. I've got a pair and they really stabilize the trailer well.

2005 Rockwood 8280ss
2003 GMC 1500 Extended Cab "Dwight" (sold)
2005 Dodge Ram 2500HD QC4x4 Cummins "Brutus"
Drawtite Brake Controller
16K Pullrite Superglide
NWC72 is offline   Reply With Quote