Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #21

You know, for the last 15 years I’ve written about tires, mainly trailer tires. Mostly in RV forums and an unsponsored blog. My feedback in likes and dislikes are about even so I’m not much liked in the things I say about tires and how they are supposed to be used. My information comes from government regulations and tire industry standards. I don’t say much about tire manufacturers because I seldom write about substantiated tire failures. That’s the kind someone has actually proven failed because of a known cause. Even known causes are difficult to point a finger at because the causes may, in fact, have been errors knowingly or unknowingly caused by the owner.

We - consumers - don’t know any more about how a tire is made than what their manufacturer’s want to tell us. We know the basic materials used in the carcass construction. They are printed right on each tire’s sidewall. We know the tire’s load carrying capability - what their manufacturer tells us - because it’s also on the tire’s sidewall. What we don’t know is what the treads composition contains other than the basic materials. We don’t know the tread materials density, unless we have a durometer. Even then we have no idea what chemical concoction was used. Not even the percentage of recycled tire materials used in our new tires. It’s confidential.

I write a lot about the tires provided with Keystone trailers. I’ve owned one for 14 years. They, like all other large manufacturers of RV trailers have had their dark years with tire selections. They went with ST then to LT and then back to ST. Now with the heavier trailers they have gone back to LT (Hybrid) for their 7000# GAWR axles. However, there are newer and stronger ST tires cursing into the country from aboard. So, there is no reason to change designs. ST tires are soon going to fit all RV trailer axle configurations.

Have you ever heard of Keystone or FR recommending LT tires for ST replacements unless they had already offered them as options? They just cant build thousands of trailers fitted with ST tires and then switch to another design. Why? Because they said the ST tires on all of those trailer’s were appropriate fitments by design. Recalling them because they were no longer appropriate would cause enormous trouble for the entire RV trailer building establishment.

I’ve always been surprised at the average number of RV trailer owners that know nothing about their trailer’s owner manual. I’ve always kept mine in a book rack just inside he trailer’s entrance door for quick reference.

Below is the 2016 generic copy for keystone trailer’s. Tires, axles and all other associated info is in chapter 4. Because most of that information is mandated by NHTSA it's pretty standard stuff for each manufacturer.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/3003...17_revised.pdf

There are basic vehicle safety features that the government wants standardized. Tires, rims, axles and their load carrying capabilities are just a few. When the vehicle manufacturer fit’s the Original Equipment (OE) tires to a trailer it’s not done by manufacturer. It’s done by size and load capacity that at a minimum must support each installed axle’s GAWR. The tire industry standards supports the vehicle manufacturer’s OE fitments and does so with their SOP manuals and PDF forms found on the internet. Below is the way one of those manufacturers says it.

Help Me Choose The Right Tire | How to choose tires | Michelin US

Most RV trailer owners want to “plus size” their tires when it’s replacement time. It’s very important to use a tire retailer that knows ST tires if that’s what your OE tires are. The goal in proper plus sizing procedures is to insure the replacement tires fit the vehicle - wheelwell and distance between tires - and they provide a load capacity equal to or greater than the OE tires by inflation pressures. The plus sized tires must be fitted to the appropriate rim size with the capability to support the trailer’s GAWR values and the inflation pressures to carry that load.

Bottom line; Don’t confuse durability with strength (load capacity). Most ST tires lack the durability seen on commercial graded tires. Those tires may have much taller treads - for long mileage - more dense tread compounds - for long mileage - an extra steel belt - help prevent punctures - sidewall inserts - to prevent failure from curb striking - retreadability & regroovability & steel casing - longer life cycle.

This is a quote from a NHTSA interpretation. "Industry standards generally form the basis for demonstrating product safety and quality before courts, regulators, retailers, consumers and others."
Old 01-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #22
Canadian Contingent

I think I already post this, but here is a list of the available Sailun's.

As I said before, weight load designates tire pressure.
Depending on your rim specifications, you can run the Sailuns at a lower pressure i.e.; 85psi without risk to the tire. I was advised this directly by the Sailun Rep as well as my tire dealership.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4439.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	127702  

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #23
Canadian Contingent

This is the tire pressure calculations supplied to me by Sailun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4425.PNG
Views:	442
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	127703  

Old 01-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
I think I already post this, but here is a list of the available Sailun's.

As I said before, weight load designates tire pressure.
Depending on your rim specifications, you can run the Sailuns at a lower pressure i.e.; 85psi without risk to the tire. I was advised this directly by the Sailun Rep as well as my tire dealership.
Does your trailer have a CDN or USA vehicle certification label? Didn't your trailer have ST235/80R16E tires from the factory? According to it's specs that is the minimum legal size the manufacturer could use. If it came with the LT tires in the specs I'm surprise there was not a recall. What was the recommended cold inflation pressures for the OE tires? Does you trailer's certification label list the GAWRs as 6840# each? That's the minimum load capacity for the ST tire above. According to the specs I'm using it's also the minimum axle requirement for the trailer as described in the specs.

Tire manufacturer's do not set recommended tire inflation pressures, vehicle manufacturer's do. Tire inflation charts are reference tools for setting inflation pressures to vehicle specifications by their builders. Also for plus sizing procedures and whenever the original recommendations are not adequate for the load being carried.

The minimum rim specs for all 16" steel cased tires is 16x6.5". They must also be high pressure certified to 110 PSI. Here is a reference of one that will work...... TR8 | Sendel Wheels

If you have the time, read chapter #4 in this reference. In it you will find an industry standard that is consistent. It says to never use less tire inflation pressure in your (OE) tires than what was recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. ( http://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-conte...ete-manual.pdf )

I don't quote from CDN regulations because I've not read all of them. But what I have read pretty much follow along with USA regulations for this subject matter. I have noted that some Provence's are more strict than others.

On edit: Here is the reference I used for the specs on your trailer.
http://www.rvguide.com/specs/forest-...l/3450-rl.html
Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #25

After less than 18 months the original tires on my 5th wheel had a sidewall bulge on one tire and the tread beginning to separate on another. I bought 5 Carlisle E range 2 years, 18000 miles ago. (Upgraded from Ds) Dealer balanced them when installed, I maintain max (80 psi) tire pressure at all times, max speed 65 mph (70 in spurts when road conditions, temperature, and traffic allows).
Very satisfied and admittedly fortunate with performance so far.
Dealer also checked with wheel mfg to verify the increase from 65 psi to 80 psi would be OK. FWIW, he was told most 5th wheel wheels are ok up to 110 psi.
Go for the Gs make sure the wheels will be ok with the increased pressure and take care of them from day 1. You won't be disappointed you did.
Safe travels.
fran8824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #26

Sailun also makes a S637T tire. This is a heavy duty trailer tire rated @ 4,400 lbs. Sailun Commercial Truck Tires: S637T HD ST Trailer

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #27

Unfortunately, Prime Time doesn’t offer much info regarding the tire pressures I was advised to follow the recommendation on the tire…. yea what a great help that was.

Owners manual for my Prime Time Crusader is a book of liability based common sense of what not to do lots of useless info in there if you have no common sense to speak of. They also recommend I stick with type of tire what came with the RV. My unit is only 8990LBS (9000 LBS as I call it) so load range E tires should work just fine. I have narrowed it down to Maxxies & the Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer for my needs. Don’t want to reinvent the wheel buying new rims, ones I have now are fine my unit came with the 16” upgrade tire & rim package. I will stick with 235/80 R16 Load range E trailer tires for now. Would have preferred Sailun tires however for my application 110PSI may result in a harsh/bouncing towing vehicle not the result I’m looking for.

Photo is of the stock tire the center just blew out 100% garbage tire
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5219.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	519.4 KB
ID:	127718  
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #28
Canadian Contingent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Does your trailer have a CDN or USA vehicle certification label? Didn't your trailer have ST235/80R16E tires from the factory? According to it's specs that is the minimum legal size the manufacturer could use. If it came with the LT tires in the specs I'm surprise there was not a recall. What was the recommended cold inflation pressures for the OE tires? Does you trailer's certification label list the GAWRs as 6840# each? That's the minimum load capacity for the ST tire above. According to the specs I'm using it's also the minimum axle requirement for the trailer as described in the specs.

Tire manufacturer's do not set recommended tire inflation pressures, vehicle manufacturer's do. Tire inflation charts are reference tools for setting inflation pressures to vehicle specifications by their builders. Also for plus sizing procedures and whenever the original recommendations are not adequate for the load being carried.

The minimum rim specs for all 16" steel cased tires is 16x6.5". They must also be high pressure certified to 110 PSI. Here is a reference of one that will work...... TR8 | Sendel Wheels

If you have the time, read chapter #4 in this reference. In it you will find an industry standard that is consistent. It says to never use less tire inflation pressure in your (OE) tires than what was recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. ( http://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-conte...ete-manual.pdf )

I don't quote from CDN regulations because I've not read all of them. But what I have read pretty much follow along with USA regulations for this subject matter. I have noted that some Provence's are more strict than others.

On edit: Here is the reference I used for the specs on your trailer.
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450 RL Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide
My Cardinal came from the U.S. I have Tredit T03 rims. They are only rated for 85 psi. When I bought new tires to replace my Duro ST 2100's, I wanted something with a better ply rating. The Sailuns fit the bill. Here is the specs on my 5th wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1060792.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	127723  

Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #29

Just looked at my rims lots of stuff on the back not sure what it all means....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender (9).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	127731   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (8).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	127732   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (10).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	127733   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (11).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	127734   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (7).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	127735  

Old 01-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
My Cardinal came from the U.S. I have Tredit T03 rims. They are only rated for 85 psi. When I bought new tires to replace my Duro ST 2100's, I wanted something with a better ply rating. The Sailuns fit the bill. Here is the specs on my 5th wheel.
The upgrade to LRG tires was very predictable. FR had provided bare minimum tires with your unit. However, the LRG tires need at least 100 PSI. At 85 psi they do not meet the minimum standards for your GAWR axles. The LRG ply rating provides the carcass strength to hold inflation pressures up to 110 psi. The psi provides the tire's load capacity. You gain nothing with the ply rating without the proper inflation pressures. Besides that, your current rims do not have the proper width for the steel carcass tire you have described as replacements.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
Just looked at my rims lots of stuff on the back not sure what it all means....
In the rim pictures the 16x6J is the rim size. The 16 is its overall diameter. The 6 is its width. The “J” indicates Japan Automobile Tire Manufacturers' Association, Inc. ( I know, it may have been made in china but to Japan specs). Rims are certified by the SAE, so the DOT numbers reflect their certification. The 3580 is the rim's maximum load capacity for single application and the 3200 is for dual applications.

It's the standard OEM rim provided by Tridet for use with all ST235/80R16E tires.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
In the rim pictures the 16x6J is the rim size. The 16 is its overall diameter. The 6 is its width. The “J” indicates Japan Automobile Tire Manufacturers' Association, Inc. ( I know, it may have been made in china but to Japan specs). Rims are certified by the SAE, so the DOT numbers reflect their certification. The 3580 is the rim's maximum load capacity for single application and the 3200 is for dual applications.

It's the standard OEM rim provided by Tridet for use with all ST235/80R16E tires.
Cool thanks for the assistance