Old 07-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

Castle Rock tires failed on which model units?

I've been following the posts on China bombs/Castle Rock tires that fail and most OPs do not mention which model trailer or motor home that the tires failed on.

I have a 2018 Mini Lite 2509S 4 with Castle Rocks 205/75/14's (+ 1 spare). They're D rated 2040# load. Have gone on several medium range trips 4-600 miles and one long trip (3500 miles) without incident. The tires maintain their pressure trip after trip, month after month. Now they're a year old (out of warranty) and we have a trip coming up in 3 days in this midwestern heat and I am concerned about tire failure.

How many of the smaller rigs like Mini Lites have had tire failure?

-Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv tire.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	210222  

45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #2

Castle Rock tires failed on which model units?

Ask said earlier. If you have about 20% cushion on gross I would monitor the pressure and camp on. Ymmv

That being said...if I had the extra $600 I would already have them.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
Canadian Member

My take on it is that the likelihood of premature failure depends on multiple factors:
- overloading (a 20% safety factor sounds reasonable)
- driving in very hot climate
- under-inflation
- impacts like deep potholes and curbs

When I compared the nearly new LR E Castle Rocks I took off to the brand new LR E GY Endurance I replaced them with, the GY’s were substantially more stout. I think of it like dollar store brand compared to name brand. Both can do the job but the name brand is just better quality (at a higher price). Some things I can live with lower quality but tires is not one of them.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
My take on it is that the likelihood of premature failure depends on multiple factors:
- overloading (a 20% safety factor sounds reasonable)
- driving in very hot climate
- under-inflation
- impacts like deep potholes and curbs

When I compared the nearly new LR E Castle Rocks I took off to the brand new LR E GY Endurance I replaced them with, the GY’s were substantially more stout. I think of it like dollar store brand compared to name brand. Both can do the job but the name brand is just better quality (at a higher price). Some things I can live with lower quality but tires is not one of them.

Well said.

One might also add...driving like you have a corvette and not a TV + an RV. Too fast.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #5

Buy a $40 TPMS on Amazon and travel on.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #6

Doesn't what trailer they are on. It's the tires not the trailer..
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #7

I think that anyone posting about a "China Bomb Failure" should include pertinent facts like tire size, load range, and model of trailer.

It DOES make a difference what trailer they're on. A heavy trailer with very little load margin is far different than a small, light, trailer that a LR-C 14" tire is more than adequate for.

Also singe axle versus tandem as well as "bumper pull" versus 5-er.

In reading all the horror stories it seems that the larger number of failures are occurring with the 5-ers that tend to be loaded heavier. Also among the ones I read about where "the exploding tire tore the fender off" are the single axle units with fenders rather than wheel wells that are often spotted scooting down the freeway at posted speed +10 mph.

These numbers would look good in a spread sheet.

Before I retired my company often found ONE or TWO tire sizes/types that were problematic and much of the problem was due to application.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I think that anyone posting about a "China Bomb Failure" should include pertinent facts like tire size, load range, and model of trailer.

It DOES make a difference what trailer they're on. A heavy trailer with very little load margin is far different than a small, light, trailer that a LR-C 14" tire is more than adequate for.

Also singe axle versus tandem as well as "bumper pull" versus 5-er.

In reading all the horror stories it seems that the larger number of failures are occurring with the 5-ers that tend to be loaded heavier. Also among the ones I read about where "the exploding tire tore the fender off" are the single axle units with fenders rather than wheel wells that are often spotted scooting down the freeway at posted speed +10 mph.

These numbers would look good in a spread sheet.

Before I retired my company often found ONE or TWO tire sizes/types that were problematic and much of the problem was due to application.
Maybe..but how do you account for the tires that blow up while mounted as a spare???
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Maybe..but how do you account for the tires that blow up while mounted as a spare???
Did you have that happen or did you just read about it? I've read all kinds of accounts of this happening but usually the story goes like "I know a guy who----".

How old was it? How many years has the tire been sitting there exposed to the elements and not being used? Rot? Weather checking/cracking?

What part of the country? (like maybe in an area with high ozone content in the air?) Time was that a tire in the LA area had a reasonable life expectancy of 2 years before the sidewalls looked like a dried up riverbed.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Buy a $40 TPMS on Amazon and travel on.
I had NO idea that a TPMS was that low of a price! That's my NEXT purchase! Thanks!!

-Rich
Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #11

$40? Maybe for one sensor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45RPM View Post
I had NO idea that a TPMS was that low of a price! That's my NEXT purchase! Thanks!!

-Rich
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Actually an entire set of 4 + sensor module. I was very surprised!

-Rich

https://www.amazon.com/Favoto-Monito...re+monitoring+
Old 07-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post

Yes, they make 'em that cheap.

How good? Depends on what you want I guess.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #14

The $40 TPMS is rated 4 stars in over 700 replies! Can't be THAT bad, can it?

-Rich
Old 07-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Did you have that happen or did you just read about it? I've read all kinds of accounts of this happening but usually the story goes like "I know a guy who----".

How old was it? How many years has the tire been sitting there exposed to the elements and not being used? Rot? Weather checking/cracking?

What part of the country? (like maybe in an area with high ozone content in the air?) Time was that a tire in the LA area had a reasonable life expectancy of 2 years before the sidewalls looked like a dried up riverbed.
X2

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #16

With the millions and millions of "China Bombs" on the road at any given time, I'd love to see the "Actual" percentage of failures compared to any given brand.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #17

I know changing flats on the side of the road is one of my least favorite things to do... I spent the money for Goodyear Endurance replacements just to make me feel that I have done everything I could to keep that from happening. After 2 1/2 years with them on, I feel like it was money well spent.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45RPM View Post
The $40 TPMS is rated 4 stars in over 700 replies! Can't be THAT bad, can it?

-Rich
Judging from the fact that the sensors are labeled, suggesting the receiver isn't programmable, it looks to me like that TPMS is very simple but could be effective. The sensors may not have replaceable batteries. Either way, the price is so low it's worth trying.

You can always test it. Inflate/deflate your tires to different pressures measured by a reliable gauge. See what the monitor tells you.

Maybe check temp by putting it in a cold oven and turning it on to the lowest temp? Watch the result continuously. Take it out before it gets too hot. You be the judge of what "too hot" is. What is the normal operating range of a tire?

I'm planning to buy a new trailer and was contemplating the value of buying new tires immediately. Now that FR includes TST 507s on new Rockwoods, I'll keep the OEM tires and rely on the TPMS to alert me about potential failures.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Judging from the fact that the sensors are labeled, suggesting the receiver isn't programmable, it looks to me like that TPMS is very simple but could be effective. The sensors may not have replaceable batteries. Either way, the price is so low it's worth trying.

You can always test it. Inflate/deflate your tires to different pressures measured by a reliable gauge. See what the monitor tells you.

Maybe check temp by putting it in a cold oven and turning it on to the lowest temp? Watch the result continuously. Take it out before it gets too hot. You be the judge of what "too hot" is. What is the normal operating range of a tire?

I'm planning to buy a new trailer and was contemplating the value of buying new tires immediately. Now that FR includes TST 507s on new Rockwoods, I'll keep the OEM tires and rely on the TPMS to alert me about potential failures.

I’m pretty sure the “bout to die” temp is about 165 F
Old 07-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #20
Grammar Pedant

You're putting 6,000 lbs or less onto tires with 8,100 lbs of capacity. So, you have 25-35% excess capacity, or margin. I'm in the same boat. I don't worry about it. We're not working those tires very hard at all.

The $40-80 cheaper TPMS systems on Amazon look pretty decent to me. Tons of Q&A where people report about putting these on various trailers (utility, horse, RVs) with no problems. On these smaller 26' Mini/Micro Lites, I think there should be no problem.

Are they as good as the $400+ TPMS systems? Nope. But for 10% of the cost, they're probably good enough and a decent value.

Good luck.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, tire, tires