Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Cave Storage vs. Covered Outdoor Storage

Hi everyone.

I own a pristine toy hauler that I would like to keep that way. Yes, I'm the guy that waxes it after every outing. Can't help myself. So, recently, I've come across an indoor storage alternative and I am torn about what to do, if anything. My trailer started life in it's own storage shed, then I bought it at two years old, and it's been in outdoor, yet covered storage thereafter. For the most part, I've been able to keep the sun off of all surfaces but the front. Recently I encountered a General Motors (Leed's Plant KCMO) production plant that has been converted into RV storage. It's fully enclosed, 24/7 guarded, and my rig would never see the light of day until I pulled it out for use. Here's the thing - it smells musty or what I bet is moldy, truth be told. I've never had a moisture problem with my 2007 rig and I'm worried that if I decide to move it to the plant, I might in fact be doing more harm that good.

Can anyone with experience in storage in a cave or similar environment tell me if I am worrying about a worthwhile concern? There might be 110v access at the location so I might be able to run a fan full time.

Any wisdom imparted on me will be very much appreciated.
CaptainKirk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #2

I once kept a boat in cave storage for the winter months. Came out smelling musty.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #3

Turning on the fan would mix the musty air into your camper. I would guess, if you closed everything up and stored it there you would be better off. I assume the humidity in the building is the same as outside. I would try to talk to some people that keep their campers there and see if they have any issues with smell. We keep our boat at a marina with inside storage. They have huge doors that stay open most of the day so we really haven't had that issue. Our camper is in a shaded spot at a storage yard.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #4

I've stored my trailer for three years at Innerspace Storage in Independence. It's a lime stone cave complex with a constant temperature of 65 degrees. Dry as a bone in the caves with no moisture problems at all. Never have to worry about sun damage nor do I have to mess with winterizing. Added bonus no bugs or critters.
acsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Senior Senior Member

Leeds Plant

We have stored our TT at the Leeds Plant for two years and have seen no issues. There are some leaks in the building and some spots are wetter than others. They seem friendly and helpful and I think they might help you find a dryer spot if you asked. I like the 24/7 access.... and yes, you can arrive there from a long trip in the middle of the night and there is someone in the guard shack.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #6

Coffee (fresh) grounds to absorb the odor, damp-Rid for moisture control.

If you will have power then an electric dehumidifier might be an option to look at.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #7

My mine storage experiences have been mixed. Some places are well ventilated while others are not. Even in the same mine. You can also consider climate controlled storage in the mine, but it expensive. I find dirt more of a problem than mold or mildew and would recommend a cover of some sort. Close the unit up tight, including bathroom roof vents, and purchase a good moisture absorber for inside based on the size of your unit. I open all drawers & cabinets too. For areas that can't be opened, I use either charcoal or kitty litter. The nice thing about the mine is that you don't have to worry if you got everything winterized. I will be putting my TT in the mine late October. I've also found that putting the unit in on a cool, dry day goes a long way to preventing mold. Been using the mine for my boat and RV's for probably 20 years and generally find it good.
Days Camped: 2015 = 51; 2016 = 59; 2017 = 20; 2018 = 12; 2019 =
If you're lucky enough to be camping......You're lucky enough.
beagle22b07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #8

We store our motorhome at the 210 RV & Boat Storage located 2 miles east of Hwy 291 off 210 Hwy between Liberty and Independence, MO. The part we store in has dehumidifiers. Prior to moving to 210, we stored in the pole barns behind Littleton Ford in Smithville. Like you, all was covered except the rear. We like the climate controlled 210 storage better.....it's more expensive, but better for the RV....tires, paint, etc.
lsauer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, door, storage