Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

Cell Phone Booster

I would line to get more use from my TT but where we like to camp has very poor to non- existent cell service. My work requires I be available by phone so cell coverage is a must for me. I heard that boosters work for some situations. Any suggestions or advice from anyone using one would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 08-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Way back in the day I used to have good luck using Wilson products. Mind you this was way back in the flip phone days when you could actually plug in an external antenna, and people had external antennas, and the cell coverage used to be spotty in between towns while driving on the highway so you needed an external antenna.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #3

I have always used Wilson boosters and my job requires that I ALWAYS have phone service. Honestly I wouldn't go with anything but a Wilson booster.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #4

Cell Phone Booster

I just installed a Wilson 4g unit. It comes with a cheap magnetic antenna (for input) and cheap plastic antenna (for output).

I bought a truckers antenna (much bigger) that does NOT require a metal surface for attachment. Metal is obviously required for the magnet to attach (on the magnetic units) but ALSO to ground.

I also bought a larger output antennae meant for a large room as the one supplied only works within a few feet.

If you go this route, here is some food for thought:
1) different size gauge of coax are used with different connections - you may need adapters
2) coax comes in different "loss" specs
3) the big input antennae needs to be at least 12 inches from people
4) the two antennas need to be appropriately spaced so their input/output are not in phase and canceling each other out.
5) antennas need to be straight up (not crooked) or you will suffer in performance

I have only used it at home so far. It takes my 1-2 bar ATT LTE to 5 bars.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #5

In my camper I have an AG SOHO 60 adjustable gain Wilson Booster and its awesome. The place I am at right now if I take 2 steps outside the camper it goes to no service and as soon as I step in its 2 bars LTE and once I get to my chair its 4 bars LTE.

I also have the new 5 band 4G booster in the truck and it works just as well.

If you have any questions with purchasing or install I can help.. I usually buy from amazon but I hard wired both boosters in so that I don't have to worry about pesky wires
Old 08-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by codytaylor1624 View Post
In my camper I have an AG SOHO 60 adjustable gain Wilson Booster and its awesome. The place I am at right now if I take 2 steps outside the camper it goes to no service and as soon as I step in its 2 bars LTE and once I get to my chair its 4 bars LTE.

I also have the new 5 band 4G booster in the truck and it works just as well.

If you have any questions with purchasing or install I can help.. I usually buy from amazon but I hard wired both boosters in so that I don't have to worry about pesky wires

Are you familiar with Uniden at all? They seem to have some good packages. Did your Wilson come with an outdoor antenna or did you purchase separate? How did u mount your outdoor antenna?
Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #7

+5 on Wilson and a Wilson Dual Band 21.5 inc RV/Trucker Cellular Antenna Kit mounted to the fiberglass.
And PdaNet for data, supports 3 wifi connections.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #8

I have never dealt withUniden before but their packages seem to be a direct competitor to Wilson. I can say for Wilson that their customer service is second to none. My first one was damaged on arrival and called them and they sent me the next level up booster for free just for the hassle.. I will be a Wilson fan for life if for nothing more than their customer service..

And yes I purchased my outside antenna separately. If you have done any research at all you know that there is 2 basic types of outdoor antenna. Yagi and Omnidirectional. I went with the omni directional to sacrifice just a little performance to gain some asthetics as well as simplicity. I did not want to have to adjust the antenna every time I moved. The Yagi does work better but it requires adjustment every time you move the trailer if you want the best perf. I mounted my outdoor antenna to the old air cable antenna so that I can crank it up if needed to gain some extra distance between antennas.. That also has the added benefit of already having coax ran along the inside of the roof and coming out in the very back by the TV.

Again let me know if you have any questions and I can show you my setup! Its pretty clean!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #9

Thanks for the info. I like where u mounted yours. I am going to look at something similar.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #10

I have the Wilson and I bought the taller mag mount antenna for it. It definitely makes a difference. It doesn't work well in the camper as the window mount antenna doesn't have enough gain. So I stick it on the roof of the truck and use it from there. I guess if you wanted a permanent type installation you could mount a piece of sheet metal to the roof for a ground plane and stick the mag mount on that.