Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #1

Changes, modifications you have madeI made

I have made a number of changes to my unit to make it better for me and I was wondering what others have done and why. Below are some of the things I have done.

Added a second battery. This was needed for the rare times I decide to boom dock. I don't do it very often but I may do more of it in the future.

Change most of my bulbs to LED bulbs. I say most because I missed two. LED bulbs only draw about 1/10 the power of a standard 12 V lightbulb. This means that when I am boon docking I don't have to worry about running lights.

Change the on on my electric awning. My awning was one of the earliest ones made and I was unable to lower the corner of the awning so that rain good run off. I don't have to worry about that now.

Added an electric heater. When I'm in a park and I am paying for electric why should I be using my propane? I set the furnace for around 60° are days when the electric heater can't keep up.

And it's a topper for my slide I unit. Now I won't have to worry about cleaning it off every time I run it in.

Added to shut off valves to my outside shower. Now I can arraign the shower lines and still be able to use my water pump in cold weather.

Added an insulated dividing wall. This wall helps insulate and protect my plumbing and water pump in cold weather.

And in a small heater to protect water lines. My first water pump and some of my lines are in the uninsulated storage area. Now I don't have to worry about them freezing.

And in a 1000 watt inverter. Now when boon docking I can charge my camera batteries and laptop. I can also run my TV if I want. I have very few things I will need it for but it's nice to have. I can also bring my GPS into the trailer and use it while keeping it fully charged.

Added an additional 20 pound bottle propane. I use this for one I want to run my Coleman stove or grill and lantern. It also gives me an additional 20 pounds if I should run out of propane on my main bottles.

Added to 5 pound collapsible jugs. I can use these for water and pump them through my freshwater pump when I need to. I don't like filling up my 42 gallon freshwater tank when traveling. It's too much weight and I don't need that much emergency water.

A VCR player. I have about 50 or 60 movies that were given to me that are all VCR. I keep about eight or 10 in the trailer so I can watch them when I want. I got the VCR player at a thrift shop, it was expensive, costly five dollars.

A volt meter wired into my batteries. I can use this to tell him I need to charge my batteries.

I also had my roof resealed. My trailer is in 08 so it was getting to be time. The product my dealer uses has a 50 year warranty so I don't think I'll have to worry about it leaking in my future.

Added a surge protector. Don't have to worry about the electrical system when hooking up at a cg now. This should be a must have for anyone that uses the cg electric supply

A 3000 watt Honda generator. I haven't decided if I am actually going to use it when camping but wanted it to run the trailer for when I lose power at the house.

I think this is everything but I won't bet on it. I'm always looking for suggestions to make improvements. With like to hear what others have done their units to make them more usable. Next year I may add a solar panel to charge my batteries. That's up in the air yet, I may not really need it.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Explorer

I have been camping for 45 years and found that being organized, prepared and comfortable is a must to enjoying where ever we land in most any weather condition.
Our mods are based on our style of camping: I love to cook great food, I hate making reservations, don’t need hookups for 4-5 days(mostly sewer and water), I push the notion that if you’re not cooking, sleeping or using the bathroom GET OUT SIDE, kayaking, biking, fishing, exploring, learning, making memories…. We have done several 2+ month trips, many 2-3 week trips……we almost never do 3 or fewer days.
Our Mods: extra battery(built larger battery tray), Axle flip(never drag again), hitch(for bike rack), tire rack under trailer(to get tire off rear bumper), Jimmy gas can on rear bumper(never scared to get to the next gas station), dimpled bumper ends to hold caps, Led back-up lights installed, Led trailer lights installed, Led motion detecting porch light, Led utility lights(2x front, one by utilities and the back-ups) switches wired inside, sewer cap with water hose adapter, hydro-flush sewer attachment, water filter, debris covers behind wheel wells, dc tank heaters w/insulation and switches installed, Ladder rack under trailer, 50’ extension hose for propane, EMS w/remote display, TPM, vent cover, 80watt portable solar, 2000w gen(used 3 times), dcV display….
Inside: full wall shelf in front, memory foam for all beds, slide in large baskets under beds for shoes, hinged kick board on couch, sink covers cutting boards, counter extension, Leds everywhere, fridge heat strip switch installed, shelves in cupboards, spice rack, motion light in entry way, large cork board for pics of where we’ve been, wall step for top bunk, dc outlets for each bunk, cabinet and drawer for lower bunk(originally was one now both kids have their own), shelving for bathroom above potty, full length mirror on bathroom door….
Most of these Mods have been posted with pics.
Having fun making our camper user friendly and comfy, for us
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This thread sums it up.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=50726
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #4

What's a VCR?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
What's a VCR?
Are you serious? Guess I am showing my age.

It is a tape player for movies, prior to DVD's. I can buy some good movies at thrift shops for 2 or 3 bucks. If I pull into a spot with no TV service, you remember TVs right, it is nice to be able to watch a good movie sometimes.

Jim
Old 12-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

TV?

Is that the thing you watch the campfire on when you can't have a real one???
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #7

TV is what I have to pass time when the rain is pouring down, the wind is howling, and the tent campers are sittting in their truck ringing out their wet clothers.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #8

I reconfigured my seating area of TH. installed hard wired EMS unit, put shelving in cupboards, installed drawers under bed,second battery, relocated TV back to seating area put wires and coated through ceiling. Re-did shower surround because it was put in poorly. Installed cabinets over wheel well. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450205921.326039.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	96247Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450205951.340444.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	96248Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450205978.873438.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	96249Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450208362.989803.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	96255Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450208572.388041.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	96256
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
Swift2

Wow I though I was the only making my C better for our comforts. I'm up to a 175 finished items that I've done and still working on them. Today's project was adding an electric cord reel to hold my 50 ft service cable. I've got $58.00 in to an elec. winch motor, the rest I built.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

I don't believe in modifying an rv. What they furnish from the factory is good enough for me.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Are you serious? Guess I am showing my age.

It is a tape player for movies, prior to DVD's. I can buy some good movies at thrift shops for 2 or 3 bucks. If I pull into a spot with no TV service, you remember TVs right, it is nice to be able to watch a good movie sometimes.

Jim
Uhhhh...I was being sarcastic. Looks like you got caught hook, line and sinker.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I thought about adding a beta tape system.. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
Site Team

I had lifts added to the overhead storage which is a life saver for a short gal like me. I can use both hands to move & grab stuff. Had a lower cabinet door flipped to open in the other direction which has more open space. Also added a second battery but one of my favorite mods was adding an awning over a window by the bed. With the awning in use the window area doesn't get as cold during winter.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #14

Modifications made

Enjoy reading forums, have done some of the modifications would like to do some others. Here's some of mine since August with new 2016, 1032 Spartan. Installed 2 max air remote fans, 1 in kitchen, 1 garage. Installed 2,12v plugs 1 on slide out next to recliners 1 next to bed. Install 1 ,110 ac plug next to recliners on slide. Install rear camera and 2 back lights wired directly to trailer battery and through a relay to truck 7pin connection. Install cabinet in garage for can goods and 2 extra tie downs to handle a 1500# Tri Glide Harley. Also installed 1000w inverter to handle TV, VCR and PS3, can't be to far away from Call of Duty when weather is bad for riden. Do a lot of dry camping in mountains of Pa. Love those woods and mountain roads.( lots of elk)
7mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
nosaint3

After having my water filter in storage compartment unscrew itself three times and flooding the compartment underfloor storage area I finally got the hint and removed it and connected the two lines to bypass the filter. I still have one new filter left but I'm sure I can find a new owner for it.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I thought about adding a beta tape system.. Later RJD
That's pretty high tech!
I installed an 8mm movie projector in mine.
It sits right next to the Kodak Carousel Slide projector.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #17

I hate our Carbide Light Projector! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I hate our Carbide Light Projector! Youroo!!
Yes... and those dang black soot marks from the wall torches!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yes... and those dang black soot marks from the wall torches!
My kerosene lanterns smoke like crazy if I am not careful.

Jim
Old 12-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Uhhhh...I was being sarcastic. Looks like you got caught hook, line and sinker.
Yep, but you never know. Had one of my grandkids ask me what an 8-track was a while back. Explained how 8-track and cassette tape decks were in competition, and you guessed it, what's a cassette?

Jim

Tags
cat, modifications