Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
csc

Charging rv battery for winter?

I have a 2019 Salem Cruise lite. I'll be removing my 2 propane tanks and bettery for winter. I'll be storing them in my basement. Question:Should I charge my battery? Some of my friends say,"keep battery off the cement floor". I have a Shoemacher Instant Power. Is this sufficient? Thanks for all suggestions.
csc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

1. Why are you bothering with propane tanks? If they are covered, they are protected from rust. If you are worried about the liquid propane freezing, I hate to be where you are! Freezing point of propane is -306.4 deg F. Besides, storing propane tanks in you home is never a good idea.

2. Cement floor is fine. Unless you are using batteries from Thomas Edison years. https://www.homepower.com/articles/s...eries-concrete

3. I am not familiar with that charger, but unless you have a smart charger, keeping it on the whole time is not a good thing. Topping them off every month or two is a good idea, they like to be fully charged as much as possible.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkris View Post
1. Why are you bothering with propane tanks? If they are covered, they are protected from rust. If you are worried about the liquid propane freezing, i hate to be where you are! Freezing point of propane is -306.4 deg f. Besides, storing propane tanks in you home is never a good idea.

2. Cement floor is fine. Unless you are using batteries from thomas edison years. https://www.homepower.com/articles/s...eries-concrete

3. I am not familiar with that charger, but unless you have a smart charger, keeping it on the whole time is not a good thing. Topping them off every month or two is a good idea, they like to be fully charged as much as possible.
x2 !!! Do not store propane in your house.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
Site Team

x3! Why remove the tanks? And if you're plugged into shore power, there's no need to remove the battery either.
A charged battery won't freeze unless it's below -40 or colder.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Leave the LP outside!
Battery tender JR will keep your battery in full charge and it draws practically nill when idle.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-T...-Volt/15779492
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
csc

Thanks everyone. Going to get the battery tender JR.
csc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #7

It is wise to remove the battery and store it in the basement. I personally charge the batteries before storing them for the winter. As others have said, make sure you have a smart charger. A manual charger will not shut off. The extra step I take is to put the battery on a 2 amp maintainer (trickle charger) to keep it fully charged. If I have not used the trickle charger, I charge the batteries again in the spring. I have no had a problem either way.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

Theft problem area maby?? ��
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #9

Charging Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
x3! Why remove the tanks? And if you're plugged into shore power, there's no need to remove the battery either.
A charged battery won't freeze unless it's below -40 or colder.
I have a class A MH. I have it plugged in for the winter. Do I need the battery cutoff switch on and the inverter on, to keep the batteries charged?
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdenman View Post
I have a class A MH. I have it plugged in for the winter. Do I need the battery cutoff switch on and the inverter on, to keep the batteries charged?
Probably would be better if you asked in your brand's sub-forum. Your RV is not listed in your profile so I can't move it for you.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:04 AM   #11

When it comes to batteries and LP tanks I just leave them where they ride and keep the TT plugged in over the winter. If we have an extended power outage, as we have had in the past after big wind storms, my TT becomes my "survival module". If I run the generator once per day I can charge batteries, run my furnace to put enough heat in the house to "freeze proof" it, and then stay comfy-warm, watch TV, eat fresh cooked meals, all in the trailer.

Harder to do this if I have pulled the two most important items that provide comfort.

Then again, everyone's circumstance is different.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by csc View Post
I have a 2019 Salem Cruise lite. I'll be removing my 2 propane tanks and bettery for winter. I'll be storing them in my basement. Question:Should I charge my battery? Some of my friends say,"keep battery off the cement floor". I have a Shoemacher Instant Power. Is this sufficient? Thanks for all suggestions.
I am old school so I keep batteries on wood in the basement !!!

DO NOT put Propane tanks in the Basement !!!
Best left outdoors !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #13

KyDan, curious why you recommend Battery Tender Junior vs full size or Plus. I was always under the impression JR was for smaller applications applications like mopeds and low compression motorcycles. Thanks for the continual education.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When it comes to batteries and LP tanks I just leave them where they ride and keep the TT plugged in over the winter. If we have an extended power outage, as we have had in the past after big wind storms, my TT becomes my "survival module". If I run the generator once per day I can charge batteries, run my furnace to put enough heat in the house to "freeze proof" it, and then stay comfy-warm, watch TV, eat fresh cooked meals, all in the trailer.

Harder to do this if I have pulled the two most important items that provide comfort.

Then again, everyone's circumstance is different.
It pains me to have to look out the window in the living room, only to see our motorhome plugged in just 10 feet away to keep the batteries in check. It’s winterized for any plumbing concerns, but has a full tank of propane for heat and cooking, along with gasoline for the generator, and is also our escape pod if there were to be an extended power outage in the main house or a failure of its heating system.

If we have to relocate, I guess you could still call it camping

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #15
Happy Camper

I am lucky enough to have my TT in the back yard under hard cover.
I stay plugged in with a big 250 gal LP tank supplying gas for the furnace set at 50deg.
All I do is kill the outside water supply and here in Alabama, have not experienced any problems so far. (Fingers crossed)

We have family, especially Grand kids, visit for holidays, etc... and all I do is turn the heat up and they have their own "space" while visiting.

I have a 2016 Surveyor with closed & insulated underside so freezing is not a problem here.

Yes, I do pay extra for LP & electricity during the cold days, but it is worth it to have the convenience of extra bedrooms when need.

As to others keeping batteries charged, the Battery Tender Jr. is my choice for my mowers, tractor, and bass boat all year.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, winter