Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #1

Cherokee questions

I have a Cherokee 28L, We have been out 3 times so far, and have a couple questions. We came from the POPup realm, so There are a few things on the TT world we need answered.
1. When the awning is employed, When opening the door it touches the awning slightly. Is that normal?
2. We had about a 30 mph wind last nite, and were woken up to propane smell
in the bedroom. The hot water heater is under the bed and the pilot evidently blew out from the wind blowing so hard. Problem solved by shutting off the water heater switch, and the tanks. Is it normal operation to shut off the water heater switch before bed, or when leaving the trailer for any length of time?
3. Not a problem, but a question, does Forest River offer Spare tire covers for the brand of trailer? Our dealer didn't give us one, and claims they have not seen a cherokee cover. I could get a generic, but was looking to put the mfg one on, if I can find one.

Thanks for any answers.
hebster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #2

Hello Hebster. Let me try to help you out.

1. It is normal for the door to touch the awning. You should have a protective cover or wheel attached to the top left corner of the door to keep the sharp edge of the door from tearing the awning. It should have something on it already, but if not, your dealer or a local camping store will have something. Wal-mart probably has something.

2. Do you have a gas leak detector installed. There should be one somewhere in that trailer that should have gone off long before you smelled propane. If not, get one. You should have your water heater gas line checked. I had a trailer with a gas water heater that had a pilot light and it would blow out all the time, but I never smelled gas. You may have a problem somewhere in the line. I leave mine on all the time now.

3. My Flagstaff came with a generic tire cover. I do not know if they make tire covers with logos on them or not.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #3

As Kim stated, you most likely have a propane leak.
Also, if you don't, you should at least have a LP leak detector installed.

Spare Tire w/Carrier and Cover is listed under the Cherokee Lite Options. Your dealer should know this.

Screen door roller

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses.
The smell was only in the bedroom. The detector is in the kitch area 2/3 to the other side of the trailer. And it was only when it was trying to rei-gnite.
hebster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #5

Definitely have it checked for a LP leak! ASAP!!! isn`t it a DSI water heater?

Try raising the awning a little higher, thats what we had to do on our 28A.

Our last Cherokee and our new one both had/have Cherokee specific tire covers, the same wolf picture as the trailer graphics. make sure you get the right size and color to match your trailer. we lost one on our 28A somewhere in WY. or SD! it was the wrong size and color. we found out when we were shipped the new one and the color matched and it very snug on the tire!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #6

I have the Cherokee Tire cover on my lite.
Attached Images

Bduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Be safe. If propane is leaking...you could be injured or worse. Get it checked out for safety's sake.

Gas lines are something you should check for leaks on a regular basis. It's easy to do with a soapy solution in a a spray bottle. Simply spray the soap on all the connections front to back and watch for bubbles forming.

Welcome to the forum.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote