Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
Chrome off the ball

Just noticed all the chrome is scraped off my ball. This happened after the first pull of my new TT. Is this an issue? My father noticed it and said it was a bad thing... other than greasing it (which I will do) is there anything else I can do to prevent this from happening? Should I replace the ball?

2005 Ford Expedition 5.4 4x4
2012 Tracer 3150BHD
sfrye5853 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
just use a dab of grease on it, the only way to prevent this is probably to get a stainless steel ball, I put one on my wifes truck for asthetics it always looks good and there is no chrome to chip off. my truck has teh chrome option and it is chipped also. If the ball gets excessivle rusty in the future then you may want to change it at that time.

Dan, Kelly and Maddy.
Cupid and Kandi the Camp Dogs
Tomball, Texas
2006 Salem LE2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost Supercrew w/ factory tow package
Danielflading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I use a heavy duty ball that is not even chromed. It gets rusty at spots after I wipe the grease off in between big deal. It is just surface rust, and will that will wear off during the next pull.

I have some gouges in the ball, and was concerned about those at 1st. I let my local trailer shop look at it, and he said it was nothing to worry with, it happens. He had seen a lot worse.

The gouges apparently came from the coupler, and wondering if that happened when the guy that towed if from Elkhart had a worn ball, and he didn't use grease. Just speculating there. The gouges are not getting worse, so the coupler has probably smoothed out.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote