Old 07-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to tlhintoq
Question Clothes washer in toy hauler

It was a toss up between putting this under "mods and upgrades" or "5th Wheel".

I have a 2006 Sandpiper fifth wheel toy hauler. The wife and I are going to move into it for full-time on the road life.

Since I own a brand new high-efficiency, low-water clothes washer, I was considering putting it in the garage of the RV. I don't know much about the washers that are officially "Apartment/RV" badged, but this one uses less water than some of the tiny one's I've researched for RV use and is whisper quiet. It's only 27" by 30" footprint and we've measured for fit with lots of room around it.

Since there is a common wall between the garage and kitchen I was planning to split off the water and drain hoses. Downward 'Y' shape for the drain of course so sink drain doesn't back into the washer.

Has anyone here every tried something similar? Any problems or tips about doing such a thing?

Thanks!
Clint

Old 07-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #2

post lots of pictures

[QUOTE=tlhintoq;52619]Since I own a brand new high-efficiency, low-water clothes washer, I was considering putting it in the garage of the RV. I don't know much about the washers that are officially "Apartment/RV" badged, but this one uses less water than some of the tiny one's I've researched for RV use and is whisper quiet. It's only 27" by 30" footprint and we've measured for fit with lots of room around it [QUOTE]
Hi Clint, I don't know about installing your washer in the 5th wheel but I would be really interested in seeing the step by step pictures and comments of the project. It sounds like a great idea to me. I have been looking at our unit and really can not see anywhere to put a washer but oh it would be so handy.

One thing I will say is that on our home LG washer the amount of water that goes into the unit is based on time - 12 seconds of water for a particular cycle, 10 seconds for another. So adequate water pressure would be essential.

days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #3

I have started a blog on my personal webpage for the 5th wheel project. But I haven't broken the news to my boss yet (that I'm going on the road). Once I run it all past him then I'll publish the page and post a link.

I kinda figured people might like seeing the garage->office renovation, installation of a 40" LCD in the living room, networking of the bedroom laptop, living room PC and office, washer install... etc. Yeah: I go high-tech. But I have to since I will be working full time out of the 5th. It's really just transplanting my house gear to the RV as my living room is already run 100% by a computer and so on. It's nice to have one's entire move and TV collection as quickly accessible files on a hard-drive.

I'm reasonably certain that the amount of water per cycle varies and is measured not just purely based on time. That would require that someone in Illinois has the same water pressure as someone in Kansas - That someone on a well system is the same as someone on city water, as someone on an underground tank in the middle of the desert. I'm pretty sure they all use waterflow meters in the inlet valve to get the right amount of water per cycle.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhintoq View Post
I'm reasonably certain that the amount of water per cycle varies and is measured not just purely based on time.
From the service manual there is 60 seconds total alloted for the water supply. The supply shuts off when a pre-determined level is reached but if there isn't enough pressure it won't adequately fill. The water pressure range is wide (14 -119psi) to accomodate all those folks from Illinois and elsewhere (grin). There is a place to adjust the length of time of fill for the various cycles. I looked into adding time because water useage isn't as much of an issue as getting clothes clean. I would have to take the housing off which really isn't such a big deal until realizing that the dryer is sitting on top of the washer so I haven't bothered.

Perhaps the water pressure in your RV is vastly better than ours. When we are using the water tank there isn't sufficient pressure to make the spray function of the kitchen sink faucet work. I doubt that is 14 psi.

I couldn't figure out how to copy the chart from the service manual. Now I'm wondering how strong every else's water pump is!

days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #5

I would have 2 questions. How much does it weigh, and what do you do about a dryer? Seems like you're taking a lot of your "stuff" with you, and I'm not sure if the rv or apt. size units actually weigh less. As far as drying, if you're going to do a whole load, where do you dry it? Hang it out on the line? Seems more and more campgrounds I go to are trying to not have washlines hanging around.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #6

We are taking what could seem to be a lot of stuff. Then again, we are living in it 24/7/365, not just vacationing a few weeks a year. Giving that perspective we are really not taking a whole lot.

I really don't want to be forking out $3 a load at a laundry mat for the rest of my life.

I installed this washer in my house. I was shocked at how light it was. Since then I have been equally impressed with how whisper-quiet it is. If the RV/apt units actually are lighter, it can't be by much - unless they are made out of cardboard and polystyrene. There is a certain minimum level of quality construction that one has to maintain. Otherwise you are just buying junk; and what's the point of that?

As for drying... The garage/office queen bunk beds are on a lift system and will be raised to the roof 90% of the time (unless we have company for a week or something). So I was going to put 2 lines under the bed so clothes could hang inside and not raise the ire of campground management. Since the back ramp door goes down and there is a screen that zips in, I figured that would allow for a nice breeze all day while I'm working anyway.

Photos of office space and where the drying lines will go.

Tags
5th wheel