Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #1

comparing brands

Hi, I have been looking at two travel trailers. One is a Coachman freedom express 295rlds the other is a Flagstaff v-lite 30fks. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in quality from one to the other. I know Forrest River makes a lot of different RVs.but is there a high end and low end for the models? Thanks for any help
graggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #2

I had a Coachman before I purchased my Windjammer. I have found that the interior seems to be of higher quality in the Windjammer. I like the way the V nose travels. The V nose seems to travel trough the air the same way a ships travels in the water.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

First welcome to the forum. THere may be some differences in some variants but for example the Rockwood windjammers and the Flagstaff V-Lite's are the exact same unit and are built on the same production line. There may be some trim details different between them but little else. As you can see in my sig we have a V-Lite just the rear living room model and love it. I would think though if you were comparing a 40k trailer to a 60 or 70k trailer there would be some significant differences. We did one 6000Km trip this summer and averaged 11.2 mpg for the trip, our old Edgewater which was almost the same length and weight would have given us abt 9 mpg over the same trip. So I am all for the V nose units regardless of brand.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #4

Take a close look.

From what I am able to find, the 295rlds you are considering has a slide out. I'm riding in a 2010 Freedom Express Class C Coachman and still have issues with the slide-out.....Check the slides underside on your 295rlds when the slide is open. Look underneath, from the inside, and if the design hasn't been changed, you'll see daylight. I'm still hoping Forrest River will offer some sort of retrofit to keep the bugs and dust outside. I'm thinking the Freedom Express is at the low-end of the Forrest River porducts. Whatever you choose, have fun and good luck.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post

From what I am able to find, the 295rlds you are considering has a slide out. I'm riding in a 2010 Freedom Express Class C Coachman and still have issues with the slide-out.....Check the slides underside on your 295rlds when the slide is open. Look underneath, from the inside, and if the design hasn't been changed, you'll see daylight. I'm still hoping Forrest River will offer some sort of retrofit to keep the bugs and dust outside. I'm thinking the Freedom Express is at the low-end of the Forrest River porducts. Whatever you choose, have fun and good luck.
There is a lot of good info from current or previous owners such as the quoted post. I personally wouldn't even consider a trailer that is built with o.s.b. (oriented strand board as opposed to plywood, again this is me personally). look for nails/staples vs. screws, are the walls framed around the openings? Does one have a gas/electric water heater vs. straight gas. The awning size? Type of windows? Are the walls pinch rolled or vacuum bonded? Are all 6 sides insulated? Holding tank sizes?

These are some things you can try and compare, each brand is slightly different and probably the differences will be minor between trailers that are close in price. Find a layout that you like, try everything - with your mate and kids. Drive the dealership nuts with the length of time you spend looking at the unit. Sit on the toilet, get in the shower, sit at the dinette, open every door and cupboard that is in the trailer. You will get a feel for what is right and is not. As I'm sure that you are aware, every manufacturer has strong and weak points. To put it bluntly, things are not made the very best all the time, doesn't matter if you spend $20,000 or $250,000. That being said, there is no substitute for rving in my opinion! Just make sure that you are getting in the game with your eyes wide open!

cheers,

shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote