Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Comparison shopping FR products

Hi everyone. We bought a lightly used FR Salem 26TBUD in March. A failed water line in the back flooded the floor and underbelly last Friday. It is at the dealer now drying out for the insurance adjuster to look at it. Of course, we are devastated to be cancelling all of the reservations starting on the 23rd that we had booked. The whole family is moping around and I feel terrible. Early next week we will know the extent of the damage and whether it is to be fixed or totaled. I need to be prepared for either case and if I need to pick up a new camper, the sooner I narrow down my choices, the sooner I can resume our summer plans.

My TV is a 2013 Ford F150 SCREW XLT 4x4 with max tow and max trailer packages. Cargo capacity is around 1900 lbs. We need bunks for the kids and I like the idea of the entertainment console and sliding doors to separate the master bed. I do like the longer slide as well. It seems nearly every manufactures has the same trailer in different colors. Are they all the same or do some specific brands have more to offer than others that I should consider. I would like to keep hitch to bumper length under 30'. An under 20k out the door price is also a requirement.

Brett K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Team
From what I've found, there's several small differences between the various lines. For instance my BIL's got a few upgraded options over my Flagstaff, like pocket doors instead of curtains, more detailing on the cabinets, etc... But mine also comes in almost 1000 lbs lighter than his. But if you worry about those finer details, you might miss out on getting a great trailer. Especially if you're at the same stage we are with the kids. This isn't going to be our retirement trailer, so differences like whether or not the cupboard door is routered or just rounded isn't that important.

Instead, if you've got a good dealer, you should be able to provide him your "Must-haves" and your "Like-to-haves" and let him go off and find something.

There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant
"stick n tin" trailers, like Salem and Wildwood, are generally enty-level trailers.
they have less amenities and many times, things are options while on higher level trailers they are standard.
but they cost much less.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Check out the Forrest river Sabre 30 bhds. We had one and loved it now grand kids are older and don't go with us very much so we traded for a fifth wheel.
Big earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
"Stick n tin" trailers... My Salem has all the same options plus more than my last 2 Flagstaff light weights had...except for the spongy floors and those lovely concertone systems!
2013 Salem 30KQBSS TT
Equalizer 4pt Hitch system-12K
2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport 5.7 Hemi w/8 Speed
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
We bought a 2014 Prime Time Avenger ATI 27BBS for an awesome price. Total length is right at 30'. It was less expensive to buy this Brand New TT than to buy a used one with similar features. So far we love it. Has a nice large slide out, power awning, and power tongue jack that are also not common in entry levels (which this TT is considered) Not sure where you are located but Tom Raper is where we bought ours and I have found prices within 2K of what we paid for ours but they have the best price we could find on this TT, and the best customer service.
14 PT Avenger ATI 27BBS
09 Nissan Armada
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
We have a 26tbud and put around three thousand miles on it last year without incident. Great trailer for first timers and has a ton of options for under 16 k brand new.

shagginwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote