Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #1

confusion with RV warranty offerings

Looking at feedback for RV extended warranty companies. Getting quotes from several companies but am finding they are apples and oranges even within exclusionary contracts. People also do not seem to support contributory issues where one thing that is covered causes damage to another thing that is not covered.
'
American RV Warranty is the cheapest and has the best "sales" lines over the phone but there is literally zero objective reviews...they are like a ghost on the INTERNET. Wholesale Warranties is priced almost twice as high and reviews are generally positive to neutral but at least there are reviews. Cornerstone is in the bottom half of reviews it seems and usually sold through dealers who make a lot of money on them.

Is there a good, honest company out there?
goferbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #2

I have this one: https://d2hlv37jts7fmp.cloudfront.ne...s/preserve.pdf
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Read the fine print.
Read the fine print.
Read the fine print.

Did I mention, read the fine print?

Many extended warranty companies are not worth the paper they are written on.
Many are so costly you could bank the money and never use it all for repairs.
Many require yearly inspections to keep up the warranty that are costly.
Many will have a list of exclusions a mile long.
Many are only good at the dealership sold.
Etc.
Etc.

Some folks wouldn't be without one.

Read the fine print.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Lame *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Read the fine print.
Read the fine print.
Read the fine print.

Etc.
Etc.

Read the fine print.

100% agree.

Read the fine print.

#2 square head screwdriver, a nice calk gun, some Eternabond tape has done me better than the 1 extended warrenty we had. I didn't read the fine print. That company changed names a while back but left a bad juju with me on all them. Good self PM and diligence on your rig can go along way. Most appliances are cheap and easy to replace but water damge is horrible. Calk gloob and gloop it and never let it leak will take care of a big issue with campers usually.

I imagine some extended warrenty are ok just read the fine print.

Maggot
02 Chevy

20 Puma 257RESS
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #5

If you are talking about insuring a new unit ... you already have a one years warranty from the factory, 2 years on some appliances, 5 - 10 years on the frame and roof. Don't be suckered in by a selling dealer on their extended warranty's "good deal at point of sale" is the best you'll ever get ... better buy it now routine. You'll find the same deal or better nearing the end of the first year if you shop around. And ... you won't waste a year of extended warranty when you're already covered.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Read the fine print.
Read the fine print.
Read the fine print.

Etc.
Etc.

Read the fine print.
Despite what 5picker says, you should read the fine print and find out what exclusions are going to be used to avoid answering a claim.

Extended warranties are insurance policies. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

They have done a great deal of math and have figured out failure rates and causes of failures and repair costs and have added a markup on top.

Think collision insurance on your car.
Add up the cost of the collision portion over the years.

When you dinged your car, would you have been ahead if you saved all those premiums? (Especially if they bumped your rates because of your accident!)

(PL&PD is worse, but exposure is too scary to be without, even if it was legal. Like really, how often have you been sued?)

Extended warranties are the same...

I pocket the premium and add it to the OMG account...

I've only been under water with that once in 30+ years of vehicle ownership.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #7

Generally speaking extended warranties are for those who can't or unable to turn a wrench or put money away. YMMV good luck with your choice sorry I can't help more but when I saw what the stealership was offering the DW (first time using that) and myself almost couldn't keep our composure she was kicking me under the table 7k for the best extended warranty on a 23k trailer lol!

What some others have said this industry is not like automotive as I'm learning. Already replaced MB for WH with better aftermarket and never looked back. Maybe if you can find a mobile tech you trust extended may be better. Techs usually break more than they fix if it's even fixed right the first time.

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 25LB
2021 Silverado 3500 HD CCLB
2018 Escalade ESV
2009 CTS-V
mpouls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #8

I went with wholesale warranties. bought before we took delivery of our TT. Using them for the first time for a mobile repair on our Dometic fridge. We had a 2 year warranty from Forest River. Whichever company you go with buy consequential loss coverage. If a hose(hoses are not covered) breaks and consequently damages something else that part or damage is covered. Ask the company to explain it to you. It's cheap - if you don't have it they can skate on some repairs. They are recommended by Escapees, Love Your RV. I bought because they said Good Sam is very oversold and if you need a repair it can be a wait. I bought Tire Wheel Hazard and 3 years of their RV Assist Road assistance. Used that 1x. lots cheaper than AAA.

https://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-extended-warranties.html

This was our first RV TT. We were newbies and I probably over insured. It's just darn expensive to fix anything and we couldn't do brakes or complicated stuff. I would post on RV HORROR STORIES FB page and see if they have some input.

2015 Ram 2500 cummins diesel laramie
2017 Forest River Rockwood 2906ws TT
Judygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
JGB

I was impressed that our unit came with a full two year warranty, but after having two issues taken care of by the dealer, one which they keep the unit for more than six weeks before they even looked at it, and the second time when they failed to correct the problem the first time, I had to threaten them to turn it around in less than a week for what amounted to a 15 minute repair. Since then I have hooked up with a local mobile RV tech and he has fixed two separate issues for less than $150 each. I am certain the dealer would have once again tied our unit up for 4-6 weeks and unless it is something major and costly I won't even attempt to use the dealer service again. I don't know what an extended warranty would cost but I would strongly suggest establishing a relationship with a competent mobile service tech.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

I never buy anything extra from a dealer. No matter what guarantee or deal they promise. They are not the guarantor or insurer, but they are selling something to make money. You can source out better for less from outside. Good Sam, rv-dreams, American RV Warranty offers different plans.
I have heard of people with the dealer sold plans that were supposedly national only to find only some RV dealers accepted them.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #11

Rv warranties

I just need to chime in on the negativity in what has been expressed with warranties. If in fact the member was asking if extended warranties are all equal and should be consider, the answer should be it is personal. If you are driving a 500000 dollar rig then the cost of repairs could be very expensive, and maybe it might make sense to search out a warranty that meets those needs. Me personally, my rig is one that if I loose a residential refrigerator, one of my three ac's, dishwasher, induction cooktop, microwave, or TV it would be a big help with only 100.00 deductible, and all these items are covered. Like insurance it is all about risk. How much is each end user able to handle. I could go on how warranties on my vehicles have saved me thousands in repairs but that is not the point. So in closing if you find yourself wanting a warranty search out one that will fit your needs.
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #12

If you read the fine print, you'll find that things that rarely fail are covered and things that tend to fail often aren't. Extended warranties only benefit dealers and the insurance companies.

Some dealers are hopeless at fixing things anyway plus your RV can be on their lot for weeks while they get around to fixing it to suit their schedule. You could also be hundreds of miles from home in need of a repair and be nowhere hear your dealer or any repair shop. Best thing is to stock up on some basic tools and fix things yourself. Many things aren't that hard to fix yourself.

Use the money instead to buy some nice RV accessories!
Old 06-26-2019, 03:18 PM   #13

The problem I've experienced with extended warranties is, getting someone else, somewhere else to honor them, other than the original seller. My 2 cents.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #14

When you find a warranty that covers roof leaks or sidewall delamination or construction things that are so poorly built that they just fail let me know.

These are the things that can ruin a purchase and I was unable to find any coverage from anyone after the 1 yr. FR warranty ran out. I can get my own appliances fixed.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
When you find a warranty that covers roof leaks or sidewall delamination or construction things that are so poorly built that they just fail let me know.
I'd like to see that too. Have yet to see a 3rd party extended warranty that did.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #16
Lame *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by changing it up a bit View Post
I just need to chime in on the negativity in what has been expressed with warranties. If in fact the member was asking if extended warranties are all equal and should be consider, the answer should be it is personal. If you are driving a 500000 dollar rig then the cost of repairs could be very expensive, and maybe it might make sense to search out a warranty that meets those needs. Me personally, my rig is one that if I loose a residential refrigerator, one of my three ac's, dishwasher, induction cooktop, microwave, or TV it would be a big help with only 100.00 deductible, and all these items are covered. Like insurance it is all about risk. How much is each end user able to handle. I could go on how warranties on my vehicles have saved me thousands in repairs but that is not the point. So in closing if you find yourself wanting a warranty search out one that will fit your needs.

And read the fine print and inspect your roof many times a year, caulk goop and glob . Never let it leak.

Maggot
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
If you are talking about insuring a new unit ... you already have a one years warranty from the factory, 2 years on some appliances, 5 - 10 years on the frame and roof. Don't be suckered in by a selling dealer on their extended warranty's "good deal at point of sale" is the best you'll ever get ... better buy it now routine. You'll find the same deal or better nearing the end of the first year if you shop around. And ... you won't waste a year of extended warranty when you're already covered.
Not universally true, most extended warranties on Automobiles and RVs are from the date of First Sold or In Service. Makes no difference when you buy the plan the coverage period is the same.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #18

We

These warantee are second party things. Has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

Honda sold a bunch thru their dealers with Honda printed on the document.

Never paid jack to the buyers. They did pay wild bonuses to sales personnel at the dealers. And all their employees. Nothing left to pay customers.

Others require ridiculously expensive yearly inspections and pm. Some are ok

In 50 years I have never come out ahead on one.

Collecting on the factory warrantee is awful. You got to drag the rv to a dealer after waiting months for an appointment. Then hall it back months later. Then drive back, 3rd trip to pick it up.

You will have large bucks in transportation. Your time is not worthless. My dealer is 50 miles away. That’s 300 miles and 10 or more hours. Whoppee.

Put your money in the bank. I guarantee you will come out better. Be handy!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
These warantee are second party things. Has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

Honda sold a bunch thru their dealers with Honda printed on the document.

Never paid jack to the buyers. They did pay wild bonuses to sales personnel at the dealers. And all their employees. Nothing left to pay customers.

Others require ridiculously expensive yearly inspections and pm. Some are ok

In 50 years I have never come out ahead on one.

Collecting on the factory warrantee is awful. You got to drag the rv to a dealer after waiting months for an appointment. Then hall it back months later. Then drive back, 3rd trip to pick it up.

You will have large bucks in transportation. Your time is not worthless. My dealer is 50 miles away. That’s 300 miles and 10 or more hours. Whoppee.

Put your money in the bank. I guarantee you will come out better. Be handy!
Xs 2. At the very least. Dealer in Milford, DE wouldn't even talk to me about the policy I bought from selling dealer, 1,000 miles away. (He, sold his own policies.) Nation wide coverage? Ha ha. Live and learn. Hopefully.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #20
Back On The Go

I've had RV Care, a Phoenix American insurance company policy for 3 1/2 years. 2 times I've used them and they are great to work with and the repair facilities I had work done at were very willing to work with them.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty