Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #1

Considering a Christmas/New Years trip from D.C. to S.C. to TN.

Hello all! We are considering a late-planned Christmas trip with our TT. It's currently winterized but I'm not opposed to flushing the tanks and heading south for a week to celebrate Christmas and the New Year.
Just curious how many travel in freezing weather and what concerns you have for freezing pipes etc. We are not talking single digits but probably 25-40 degree weather. Our TT does not have the "all season" package with the under carriage heat. We would obviously have the heat on during the night which I would think would be enough to prevent a hard freeze.
Also, the weather could be a factor and is something I'm taking into account. Last thing I would want is being on the highway pulling a 36' trailer in a snowstorm!!!
Just looking for any tips and tricks as well as winter travel stories. Thanks!

Evolution Printing, Manassas, VA
Design ~ Printing ~ Signs
evoprinting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
Site Team

I'd leave the TT winterized as long as possible with the exception of putting a little water in the fresh water tank. If you're talking a few hours at 25ºF or higher you're not going to freeze anything.

I'm also one of the ones that doesn't have a problem running the furnace while traveling.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #3

We live on the other side of the state, but we have done this several times...well, we usually do a Christmas trip. We will leave a day or two after Christmas and stay for about a week, arriving back home sometime about the 4th or 5th, just in time for the kids to head back to school.

We have hit winter weather once and we just pulled over into a large shopping center and sat around until the highway department had worked the roads and got all the snow off and we were on our way again.

Just plan it so you have an extra day to sit if the need arises and have a great time in some warmer weather.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #4

if there is water were you are going, leave it winterized till you get there and hope you aren't towing in snow on the way home.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #5

What part of SC are you going to? Charleston can be warm while there is snow in the upstate around Greenville , Spartanburg area.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies! I can't imagine it would cold enough for a hard freeze but you never know.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #7

We would be going to Hilton Head, SC and then head over to Knoxville, TN.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

You will be fine in Hilton Head. Not sure about Knoxville. I lived in Charleston for 22 years before going full time. I never worried about winterizing.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Just watch the weather... we all know what hit a few days ago!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #10

We leave the 20th from South Jersey to Myrtle Beach. I will put water in the fresh tank to use for our first stop. They only have elec this time of year.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #11

Winter Traveling

We keep our trailer winterized when heading south from Missouri. Even though our trailer has heat in the belly, we don't travel with water in the fresh water tank, but take 2 or 3 gallons of water to use to flush the toilet and wash our hands. I put RV antifreeze in the black and grey tanks so nothing freezes. When we camp, we will use the furnace and drink bottled water or favorite adult beverages! Snug as a bug in a rug!!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote