Old 12-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
In a perfect world my truck would have a Dodge Cummins engine, Chevy Allison transmission, and a Ford's suspension.

That trailer doesn't have much in the way of CCC I'm sure you will use that up in no time.

Good luck with you search .

2014 CR-V EX-L w/Nav & Blue Ox & Ready Brute Elite

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #12

Had them all - gas, diesel, Ford,Chevy, Dodge. Any future truck that involves towing, diesel hands down - no gas competition on performance - but might not be the economic choice. Took me a few years before my pocketbook was deep enough! As for best brand, I like best the Cummins (Dodge) engine and the Allison transmission (Chevy/GMC) but Ford (Factory & Dealership) put the screws to me in 89, so never again. That said, hear good reports on all 3 brands, diesel and gas, and seems to me folks find fault or favor according to their need to crow or complain. I currently run a GMC Duramax/Allison with about 85k towing miles at full GVWR. Never been back to the dealership and no complaints. Likely the last truck I will ever buy.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #13

I was in your same position looking at diesel trucks. All are nice and all are expensive but the reasons I went with the Cummins was as a 6 cylinder it has 25% less parts, an unbeaten longevity record and if you open the hood you can actually see daylight through the engine compartment!

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #14

total cost of ownership

Just a thought since all of these post are great, consider how much your towing, are you a full timer or are you pulling a couple times per year? Do you need the vehicle to pull job related trailers? Diesels are expensive to operate as compared to gas. Oil changes, fuel additives, fuel, and parts are all more expensive so the total cost of ownership of owning a diesel will be higher then a gas. I see that fuel alone really varies throughout the states but most of the time it appears that gas is cheaper.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #15

I upgraded to a F250 diesel last summer. There is a world of difference with the diesel. We usually travel out west in the mountains. The diesel does a geart job. What I like best with my Ford however, is the Ford brake controller. It is a state of the art system.
It is integrated with all the systems through the computer. I was told on the Ford forum to be sure to get it. I am glad I took their advice. Some won't believe this but here is my experience with it. As I begin to descend a mountain, I just tap the brake peddle in the tow haul mode and the truck shifts down a gear and with each tap it drops another gear. I use very little brake all the way down. If I want more braking power I hit the exhaust brake. It nearly brings me to a stop. Anyone who does much mountain towing values safe descents more than a ton of power going up. My gasser would get me up there, albeit slowly. The trip back down sometimes was white knuckle, 10% grades etc.
That's my experience. Best thing I've done in a long time.

Forgot to mention gas mileage. My gasser did 6 to 8 mpg. The diesel does 14 on the interstates and fairly flat roads. In the hills it drops to about 12.5. Depends on speed too. 65 on the interstate is about 12.5 but drop my speed to 60 and it goes up to 14. I did some experimenting with speed to see the difference. A few miles an hour can make a significant difference.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #16

Hold on to your hat Bubba! Like Steelframer suggested you're going to get way more info than you want. Good luck sorting it out. Happy camping.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe1840 View Post
Just a thought since all of these post are great, consider how much your towing, are you a full timer or are you pulling a couple times per year? Do you need the vehicle to pull job related trailers? Diesels are expensive to operate as compared to gas. Oil changes, fuel additives, fuel, and parts are all more expensive so the total cost of ownership of owning a diesel will be higher then a gas. I see that fuel alone really varies throughout the states but most of the time it appears that gas is cheaper.
Fuel additives? Ford says nothing unless it is -30 degrees C for fuel to prevent gelling. We get cetane booster as part of winter fuel blend. The only thing I will need additional with the Power Stroke is a fuel filter at 24,000 km. Same as Gas in my mind. I have a Ford service plan and Oil Changes cost the same. I have spent maybe $25 ON def IN 15,000 KM . My fuel costs are less than gas, both in price and more miles per tank.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #18

Buy the one with the cup holders your DW likes. I've seen all makes at one time or another, broken down along the highways. From $2,000 Yugos to $2,000,000. Prevosts.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I have been thinking about getting a new pickup did for my fifth wheel. It's not a very big or heavy trailer but when I buy, if I buy, I want to have the extra are capacity in case I ever do decide to upgrade something heavier.

I am considering 1500 and as of right now I'm not real picky on the brand. I am not trying to get into the age old 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton argument. I have a friend who is really trying to talk me into buying a diesel instead of a gas burner. My question is who makes the best diesel engine or isn't there much difference in the manufacturers. I have posted photos of the stickers from my fifth wheel below

My present truck is a Dodge 2007 1500 of the 5.7 L hemi engine. It only has 68,000 miles on it. It has a full-blown towing package on it and I have upgraded the rims from 17 inch to 20 inch. I haven't had a chance to put the truck through its paces. In the next couple months I hope to take it to South Carolina up through the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia and see how well it does. How well it handles the trailer is going to be the deciding factor as to whether I get a new truck or not. As far as the brand goes I would prefer Ford and then Dodge and then any of the others.. One other thing, it needs to be a crew or club cab. I have a 70 pound chocolate lab who likes to drive, LOL, so I need a backseat to keep her in!

What are your thoughts and why?

Jim
My though is when you went to 20" tires from 17" unless you also did a Gear change you just Killed your Full Blown Trailering Package! I would devote more time to Truck Color than What Brand! Youroo!!
Old 12-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe1840 View Post
What additives? Where in the owners manual does it say this. You can usally go 15k on a oil change with a diesel. Reg, in Socal is $2.65 Diesel is $2.29 Gassers get terrible MPG while towing anything with some weight. Don't think your correct. JMHO

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck