Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #41
My vote is for the Cummins. I have been a Ford guy for many years. I would have bought the Ford but drove the Ram, and couldn't justify the cost difference. I got the Ram for about $6,000- less than the Ford, equally equipped, with 40K miles more warranty. That being said, all of the big 3 make good trucks and have good diesel engines. Pick your brand after driving all three and enjoy. If you've never pulled an RV with a diesel, you're going to be delighted... I know I was. Another benefit is getting roughly the same mileage when just driving... around 20... and much better mileage towing. I get roughly 13.5 to 14 with my Ram as opposed to 8 to 9.5 with my F-150 with a 5.0 V-8. The trucks don't push me around anymore, either.

Good luck...

J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #42
Ram 3500 or f350....biggest gas engine or diesel....a lot of 5th wheels have a very heavy tongue weight...i have a ram with a cummins diesel and i am very happy with 5th has a 2000lb tongue weight...

Save a beer for me!!! Happy Trails....Be Safe....
sunnyinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #43
I'm very happy with my RAM 3500 DRW pull my toy hauler.
The Exhaust brake has been one of the greatest features stopping16K#. Like someone said earlier, take the time to research and drive all diesels before pulling the trigger.
As I said earlier - 2500- 3500, diesel and Mega cab. The only way 5 adults to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #44
Quite happy with my truck/trailer combo. Good luck on your choice!
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins
55' Chevy Bel-Air
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #45
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I'm very happy with my RAM 3500 DRW pull my toy hauler.
The Exhaust brake has been one of the greatest features stopping16K#. Like someone said earlier, take the time to research and drive all diesels before pulling the trigger.
As I said earlier - 2500- 3500, diesel and Mega cab. The only way 5 adults to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
The Mega cab is an absolute must! I am the only legal driver but my chocolate lab would drive if I let her, LOL! Got to keep her in a back seat or the troopers will get upset with me, not to mention the insurance companies.

07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #46
Considering a new truck

I've had them all. Chevy, Ford and Ram. I've had the old Chevy 8.1 liter gas all the way to the current Cummins 6.7 liter diesel and everything in between from all vendors.

My only advice is that they've all been very good trucks. People love to argue but the truth is that the big three all put out amazingly capable trucks these days. Diesel however is the only option for me anymore. I will never mess with a gas truck again for anything more than basic pickup use. For pulling, diesel is the only option. Yes, there is that much difference.

Diesels are built to be abused for a very long time. They are work trucks and what more work can there be than putting 10 to 20 thousand pounds behind a truck?

You can buy a diesel and easily drive it for 20 years if you actually take care of it. Gas trucks will not age well trailering for that many years. Transmissions will go, engines will blow and the weaker built gas body/frame components will be stressed.

I say all this with one exception. If you will virtually never move your trailer than it may be more sensible to just buy a gas truck that you can use as a commuter in addition to a tow vehicle.

Just my two cents. Good luck on your decision.

2014 Dynamax Trilogy 37BH
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 37BH
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
kwoodrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #47
I only read page 1. I have owned 2 diesel TVs. Both duramaxs. I had a 3/4 ton and now a 1 ton dually. the other two weren't in the race, for me. The cummins was too noisy and the Ford hasn't proved itself, to me. Now days the cummins and I suppose the ford are quieter but I just like duramaxs. Get what you need for the job you have to do with it and think about what you might need in the future.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #48
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Went from Nissan Titan to 2013 Chevy Silverado Duramax/Allison 2500HD as we bought a heavier TT and the Titan was maxed out.
Wish I had known about diesel 20 years ago, I would have saved buying several trucks over the years. We have 80,000+ on this truck with no problems. Added a 50 gal transfer tank/toolbox just to keep from having to stop so often AND to make sure we have enough fuel to get home in an emergency. We got caught several years ago coming across the FL panhandle after a hurricane where the electrical power was out. Gas stations could not pump fuel and the ones that had emergency gens were not allowed to fuel anything but emergency vehicles doing repairs. Had to stay 4 days in a parking lot with "homeless refugees" walking all around us 24/7 wanting food and to use potty. Not comfortable!! Won't get caught again.
You carry fire extinguishers, spare tires, extra light bulbs, etc., to deal with emergencies, think about your fuel supply. Any electrical outage will shut down most gas stations.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #49
Want to buy my "very nice" 2012 Ram CTD? Its a 2500 2 wheel drive with 30K on the ticker.

I am fed up with the nasty oil caused by the EGR (that kills lubrication) and the once every trip fuel wasting regeneration phase.

Oil changes are 3 gallons with an expensive filter per pop; air filters and fuel filters are also expensive. Every 80K - 90K miles it will need a 5 hour labor EGR cleaning.

It would still buy a 2500/3500 but no more diesels for me. If I had to have a diesel, I would bet the bushes for a decent 5.9L CTD or a 7.3L Ford.

If 429 lb/ft isn't enough (new Ram gasser), I would rather down size on the box on wheels than go diesel. But would stay 250/350 or 2500 or 3500 for sure.

Consider the payload is reduced on a diesel especially if SRW. If diesel, make sure its 4x4; a 4x2 will get stuck on a few blades of grass.

As of now, I've had the truck to the dealer 3 times for a O2 sensor code that they can't fix.

Add to my frustration with a recent half hour driving around an unfamiliar city the other night looking for a station that sold diesel.

Ford and Chevy guys will jump on this, but truth be told; they are all just as bad.
XLR Hyperlite 29HFS
Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Triumph Thunderbird

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #50
1) Cummins ,because of longevity, reliability and economy and if needed as stated above ease of repairing, and repair shop availability
1-1/2) Ford 7.3(International) not made since 03 though
2) Duramax,

3) ford 6.7 unfamilar with it but 6.0 and 6.4 seem to be very unreliable

tonyb1725 is online now   Reply With Quote