Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #41

My vote is for the Cummins. I have been a Ford guy for many years. I would have bought the Ford but drove the Ram, and couldn't justify the cost difference. I got the Ram for about $6,000- less than the Ford, equally equipped, with 40K miles more warranty. That being said, all of the big 3 make good trucks and have good diesel engines. Pick your brand after driving all three and enjoy. If you've never pulled an RV with a diesel, you're going to be delighted... I know I was. Another benefit is getting roughly the same mileage when just driving... around 20... and much better mileage towing. I get roughly 13.5 to 14 with my Ram as opposed to 8 to 9.5 with my F-150 with a 5.0 V-8. The trucks don't push me around anymore, either.

Good luck...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #42

Ram 3500 or f350....biggest gas engine or diesel....a lot of 5th wheels have a very heavy tongue weight...i have a ram with a cummins diesel and i am very happy with it.....my 5th has a 2000lb tongue weight...
Old 12-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #43

I'm very happy with my RAM 3500 DRW pull my toy hauler.
The Exhaust brake has been one of the greatest features stopping16K#. Like someone said earlier, take the time to research and drive all diesels before pulling the trigger.
As I said earlier - 2500- 3500, diesel and Mega cab. The only way 5 adults to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #44

Quite happy with my truck/trailer combo. Good luck on your choice!
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I'm very happy with my RAM 3500 DRW pull my toy hauler.
The Exhaust brake has been one of the greatest features stopping16K#. Like someone said earlier, take the time to research and drive all diesels before pulling the trigger.
As I said earlier - 2500- 3500, diesel and Mega cab. The only way 5 adults to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
The Mega cab is an absolute must! I am the only legal driver but my chocolate lab would drive if I let her, LOL! Got to keep her in a back seat or the troopers will get upset with me, not to mention the insurance companies.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #46

Considering a new truck

I've had them all. Chevy, Ford and Ram. I've had the old Chevy 8.1 liter gas all the way to the current Cummins 6.7 liter diesel and everything in between from all vendors.

My only advice is that they've all been very good trucks. People love to argue but the truth is that the big three all put out amazingly capable trucks these days. Diesel however is the only option for me anymore. I will never mess with a gas truck again for anything more than basic pickup use. For pulling, diesel is the only option. Yes, there is that much difference.

Diesels are built to be abused for a very long time. They are work trucks and what more work can there be than putting 10 to 20 thousand pounds behind a truck?

You can buy a diesel and easily drive it for 20 years if you actually take care of it. Gas trucks will not age well trailering for that many years. Transmissions will go, engines will blow and the weaker built gas body/frame components will be stressed.

I say all this with one exception. If you will virtually never move your trailer than it may be more sensible to just buy a gas truck that you can use as a commuter in addition to a tow vehicle.

Just my two cents. Good luck on your decision.

2014 Dynamax Trilogy 37BH
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 12-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #47

I only read page 1. I have owned 2 diesel TVs. Both duramaxs. I had a 3/4 ton and now a 1 ton dually. the other two weren't in the race, for me. The cummins was too noisy and the Ford hasn't proved itself, to me. Now days the cummins and I suppose the ford are quieter but I just like duramaxs. Get what you need for the job you have to do with it and think about what you might need in the future.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #48

Went from Nissan Titan to 2013 Chevy Silverado Duramax/Allison 2500HD as we bought a heavier TT and the Titan was maxed out.
Wish I had known about diesel 20 years ago, I would have saved buying several trucks over the years. We have 80,000+ on this truck with no problems. Added a 50 gal transfer tank/toolbox just to keep from having to stop so often AND to make sure we have enough fuel to get home in an emergency. We got caught several years ago coming across the FL panhandle after a hurricane where the electrical power was out. Gas stations could not pump fuel and the ones that had emergency gens were not allowed to fuel anything but emergency vehicles doing repairs. Had to stay 4 days in a parking lot with "homeless refugees" walking all around us 24/7 wanting food and to use potty. Not comfortable!! Won't get caught again.
You carry fire extinguishers, spare tires, extra light bulbs, etc., to deal with emergencies, think about your fuel supply. Any electrical outage will shut down most gas stations.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #49

Want to buy my "very nice" 2012 Ram CTD? Its a 2500 2 wheel drive with 30K on the ticker.

I am fed up with the nasty oil caused by the EGR (that kills lubrication) and the once every trip fuel wasting regeneration phase.

Oil changes are 3 gallons with an expensive filter per pop; air filters and fuel filters are also expensive. Every 80K - 90K miles it will need a 5 hour labor EGR cleaning.

It would still buy a 2500/3500 but no more diesels for me. If I had to have a diesel, I would bet the bushes for a decent 5.9L CTD or a 7.3L Ford.

If 429 lb/ft isn't enough (new Ram gasser), I would rather down size on the box on wheels than go diesel. But would stay 250/350 or 2500 or 3500 for sure.

Consider the payload is reduced on a diesel especially if SRW. If diesel, make sure its 4x4; a 4x2 will get stuck on a few blades of grass.

As of now, I've had the truck to the dealer 3 times for a O2 sensor code that they can't fix.

Add to my frustration with a recent half hour driving around an unfamiliar city the other night looking for a station that sold diesel.

Ford and Chevy guys will jump on this, but truth be told; they are all just as bad.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #50

1) Cummins ,because of longevity, reliability and economy and if needed as stated above ease of repairing, and repair shop availability
1-1/2) Ford 7.3(International) not made since 03 though
2) Duramax,

3) ford 6.7 unfamilar with it but 6.0 and 6.4 seem to be very unreliable
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #51

Dream truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
In a perfect world my truck would have a Dodge Cummins engine, Chevy Allison transmission, and a Ford's suspension.

That trailer doesn't have much in the way of CCC I'm sure you will use that up in no time.

Good luck with you search .
Yes my dream truck to
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #52

My Ram 2500 is a basic truck(not the cheapest) no foo foo stuff/ cloth=warm in winter cool in summer 820 ft lbs 12 to 14 pulling a 9k TT a absolute beast. Ya can't go wrong And 4X4 new just under 46k and I got 30k for my 11'2500HD Silverado.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #53

Others have said.....and your photos indicate a RV of roughly 8K loaded to capacity. 3/4 ton would be my recommendation. Make not really important nor is the power plant IMO at that weight. You mentioned future plans...that may push you to a oil burner. For me anything under 10K trailer weight....power plant irrelevant as they all are up to the task....however the class of truck is the major issue. good luck.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #54

The 6.7 Cummins and 6.7 Ford both have strong points. I can tell you from experience that the Ford is a stronger running engine than the Cummins. The Cummins is more than up to the task with 2 less cylinders. The Ford is a V8 and the Cummins is an inline 6. I also believe that the Ford "truck" is better built than the Dodge. The Ford 6 speed auto is a great transmission, and I believe it is built tougher than the Dodge. The Aisan transmission is supposed to be great also.
That's my 2 c. As to 3/4 vs 1 ton. No question there in my mind....buy the 1 ton. Very little difference in cost and you gain an overload spring, spacer, and (I believe) front coil spring is heavier duty.

Good luck

dg
Old 12-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #55

As i said before "you will upgrade" and if you can. Go diesel. Far better resale. Last forever and will kick a gasser's ass when talking MPG while towing a good size comfortable TT/5er. Ford has been trying to replace that great 7.3 they had and i have read the new 6.7 is very good. However google "Cummins" stay with what works. Again IMHO.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:26 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I forgot to post the photos so I will post them this time.
It seems I may have given the wrong impression here. I believe the truck I have is capable of knowing what I want but I won't know for sure till I pulled up the mountains. If I'm not satisfied with it then I'm going to go looking for a new truck. A friend of mine is trying to talk me into a diesel and I've never owned one before.
Naturally if I go for a new truck going to get something bigger and capable of hauling something heavier than what I have now. My question is who makes the best diesel and why do you think that. So far it looks like a Cummings but I'm really not getting the information I'm looking for.
Who makes the best diesel and why do you think that? A fairly straightforward question.
Jim
Better start looking now, cause what you got just ain't gonna make it in the mountains. And here's a fairly straightforward answer- Cummins. Reasons being- among many others- you can see underneath the hood. If serviced correctly through the years, there's no reason you shouldn't be good for 750K plus. Just a few reasons among the many as to why the Cummins is the way to go. I looked at the Ford and the Chevy, both are very nice- but- jump into the RAM, and you'll see what I mean... My wife and I go "Whew!" everytime we see those commercials about which truck is the truck of the year. We came close, but eventually made the right decision.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
The 6.7 Cummins and 6.7 Ford both have strong points. I can tell you from experience that the Ford is a stronger running engine than the Cummins. The Cummins is more than up to the task with 2 less cylinders. The Ford is a V8 and the Cummins is an inline 6. I also believe that the Ford "truck" is better built than the Dodge. The Ford 6 speed auto is a great transmission, and I believe it is built tougher than the Dodge. The Aisan transmission is supposed to be great also.
That's my 2 c. As to 3/4 vs 1 ton. No question there in my mind....buy the 1 ton. Very little difference in cost and you gain an overload spring, spacer, and (I believe) front coil spring is heavier duty.

Good luck

dg

Before the aisin, I would rather the ford tranny.
Now, with the aisin.. Worlds different from the old dodge trans.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 12-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #58

Kenny, I'm hearing good things about the Aisin Transmission, but the Dodge frame/body scares me. A close friend of mine bought a 2012 Dodge with the 6.7. Man that engine pulls like a freight train, and even so, my Ford will both out pull and out run it. Which engine will last longer? I don't know, probably both will last longer than me with decent maintenance, but as much as I like my 6.7 Ford, I would bet my money on the Cummins running the longer miles, all things being equal. Right now, my friend is waiting to have the spring bushings replaced in his truck. Local Dodge dealer diagnosed "that knocking" sound over a month ago, and still waiting on parts. 2012 year model with 34k miles. That bugs me. Now, is it an anomaly? Maybe, but as for me and my dollars?....I gotta go Ford. I just wish that Toyota had a 3/4 ton with a proven diesel.
Having said all that, it's just my opinion.....my opinion and a dollar bill might get you a cup of coffee at McD's. ��
Old 12-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #59

A spring bushing went bad and that was the reason you stayed with your ford?
Old 12-31-2015, 09:46 PM   #60

Mike, don't get your panties in a knot now. It's not that big a deal. I only listed one example. If you want several more, shoot me a pm. Better yet, I'll put you in touch with my buddy. His 2500 has a "For Sale" sign on it. Ya'll could compare notes, but he has a contract on a new Ford. As for me? i stayed with what works for me. I suggest you do the same. Such a simple concept isn't it? Happy New Year!

Tags
truck